Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2005: The Year in Review

LCJr.

Erudite
Still, it's hard to deny that to a certain extent, Troika brought it upon themselves.

This part is very true.

If only they'd seen the same wisdom as other developers like BioWare and Obsidian and turned away from this silly PC RPG market, they might still be around today, making godawful Zelda clones for PlayStation 3 and wondering what the hell happened. Instead, they stuck to this goofy idea of making solid RPGs for PC and went bankrupt.

This part is bullshit.

Last year, Troika Games released Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Subtitle: Appendum: Something Else. The game had a lot of strengths, but a lot of flaws, too, to the point that it apparently didn't sell much. After the 2003 release of Temple of Elemental Evil, which sold well but got Troika a bad reputation due mainly to its bugginess, and the poor sales of Arcanum a couple years before,

And that's why they died. Arcanum was buggy and felt half finished not to mention the horrible play-balance. TOEE was bug, bug, buggy. Never touched Vampire so no comment. They simply couldn't set realistic goals to accomplish within the budget and time they were given. Doesn't matter what their potential was the reality is that the finished product wasn't that good. I can't blame the publishers for seeing them as what they were and that is a bad investment. Just because they had a lot of the same people who worked on Fallout doesn't make them the last best hope for RPGkind.

edit>Just noticed patch 1.3beta International for Metalheart has been released.

Speaking of distancing yourselve from leaked demo's anyone remember the leaked Metalheart demo? Akella tried hard to say, in bad english, that it wasn't amything like the way Metalheart was going to end up. But it sure sounds like it was right down to the boring play, random crashes and pole dancing LOL.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Volourn > Frankie.

Frankie clearly has no intelligence and no style. Volourn has his own inimitable forms of both.

Oh, on a different aspect of that article, RPGCodex it looks like you've been RUMBLED. Prepare for an atomic-powered bellyflopping.

(and check out how Cleve seems to have wiped history off the map with his site revamp)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 665f0c715d

what a crap article. the author just cry about how everything is crap. he calls gothic and oblivion crap! i'm really scratching my head here, what does he expect? if gothic and oblivion are crap for him what does he want? alas, he doesn't tell. do i care? naaaaaa
The article is worthless. They want to be different so badly that they just make fun of everything that's popular.
However, the thing that bothered me about his article is he dismisses a half-dozen or so games before THEY'VE EVEN BEEN RELEASED, and that's simply not fair. I say lets wait until the games are released, then we can discuss whether or not they are any good.
My biggest complaint with the article, is the use of personal attacks!! I don't care whether you like or hate people such as Cleve Blakemore, there is NO place for libel in an RPG news site.
That's modern gaming "journalism" for you.

I was a "Gaming journalist" myself for quite some time. Though I wasn't like him...I was a positive person who posted constructive criticism and showed no bias. The readers loved me. The elitists running the website did not.

The guy who wrote this is living in his mother's basement, dreading the sunlight and downloading midget pr0n. He isn't worth your time.
I love that "I was a nice person, and people loved me" bit.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This has been so entertaining and funny, I think Codex needs to do a monthly 'year in review' :P

dipdipdip

Liturgist
This really has been the most entertaining thing to hit the Codex in quite some time.

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah, the article isn't nearly as fun as the reactions. I think next year, well just put up an article that says "FUCK YOU AND YOUR FAVOURITE GAME" in gigantic letters. It'll hopefully annoy people even more directly and probably still be an accurate summation of the year's RPG news.

And for the record, I live on the second floor of my mother's house (because I'm 19 and go to university ferfrigssake).

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
rex1ox.jpg

:salute:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spazmo said:
Yeah, the article isn't nearly as fun as the reactions. I think next year, well just put up an article that says "FUCK YOU AND YOUR FAVOURITE GAME" in gigantic letters

I like

FUCK YOUR FAVORITE GAME, AND FUCK YOU FOR LIKING IT

Thats my aught 6 prognostication

Vault Dweller

Developer
Interesting thoughts on the article from Bio fans:
http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.htm ... 1&forum=22

Oh my..that was the biggest pile of crap I've ever read. It was so pathetically wrong that it was laughable.

Quote:
We may go overboard, but we figure it's necessary to balance out the torrents of bull**** everyone else spews.

Who the hell are they trying to convince with that line? Do they think they're the new Messiah or something?

By the time I reached the third paragraph, I was pretty sure that these people are Diablo fanboys (and I'm proven right later in the article). Not our fault that they can't enjoy a RPG with a good storyline which is probably too difficult to comprehend for their tiny little minds.
Wow, can you imagine the guy who wrote that in real life. What a crybaby. I can feel the venom from each word seeping into my brain
here we have a a group of Powergamer fanboys. immature crybabies who dont like games that require them to put foward some effort rahter then just having lots of choices. seriously this guy has never bothered to get online with nwn. what an idiot. and anyone who is a big fan of diablo II (playing online that is) either has no taste in games or just does it for some mindless killing and something to laugh at. and if that doesnt get old quick, then id be scared for the person.
Anyone who describes the BG series like they did has no taste in RPGs, plus the rest of it.

Powergamers... *shudders*
oh, one of those "im cool because i bash mainstream" losers.

dont they realize that the only way to really be individual is to like what you like no matter what it is where it comes from or how its viewed.
Well, that was one of the most useless pieces of drivel I've ever seen spewed from the mouths of folks that think themselves as "putting the 'role' back in rpg".

I'd warn anyone who doesn't have a brain of their own to avoid the article. You may find yourself on the edge of a rooftop in despair at the awful state of the industry. I'm surprised Spazmo hasn't done the same.
I haven't read the piece in its entirety, but some of their criticisms are, plainly speaking, correct, including some of those leveled against Bioware's games.

That said, I think that they unfairly dismiss the role of Bioware as an innovative player in RPG development. While Bioware is clearly "stalled" at the moment, you have to give them credit for helping to re-invigorate the PC RPG industry in the late 90's (when it was pretty much in a slump).

More importantly, Bioware deserves special mention when it introduced an open toolset for module creation in Neverwinter Nights. This was a major breakthrough and arguably the number one contribution of Bioware to the RPG industry. Sadly, no other RPG has presented such a toolset, so Bioware will have to be content with being merely "innovative" in that respect, but not "influential".

Perhaps more egregiously, RPG Codex appears to broadly dismiss the ancient and celebrated tradition of console RPG gaming. For instance:

No, it's much easier to pander to console kiddies whose idea of RPG gameplay is collecting multicoloured ocarinas or watching twenty hours of FMV cutscenes.

This is clearly an ad hominem attack without substance, against the greatest RPGs of all time. Legends such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy come to mind. They also criticize games that are currently in development, such as Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is probably unwise in most instances.

Indeed, no mention is made of Fable: TLC, arguably the most innovative RPG to come out this century
This is stupid. Before Baldur's Gate, the RPG genre was as dead as the adventure genre nowadays. Baldur's Gate breathed new life into the RPG genre.

If it wasn't for BG, I doubt rpgcodex would even be in existence.
I despise the Codex. They put me in mind of a bunch of fat, sarcastic, pathetic Comic Book Guy figures. Having spent some time reading the forums over there, it's painfully obvious they've fallen into the trap of becoming a bunch of self-parodying losers in their efforts to set themselves apart from the mainstream.

There's a fine line between taking a well-intentioned critical view of the industry, and becoming a bunch of venemous, tedious jerks, and the Codex as a whole seems to have crossed it some time ago.

If they're that dissatisfied with the industry then they're better off packing in their hobby, getting off their fat arses, and doing something else with their lives.
Quote: Posted 01/07/06 21:22:30 (GMT) by Jecra

Quote: Posted 01/07/06 20:25:29 (GMT) by Dregur

I think I can some up a lot of people's thoughts from RPG Codex:

If it ain't turnbased, it ain't a good RPG.

-The Grinman

that would make BG and NWN good, which it isnt to them .

it is turnbased AND multiple scenario's(with different endings)

LlamaGod

Cipher
No, it's much easier to pander to console kiddies whose idea of RPG gameplay is collecting multicoloured ocarinas or watching twenty hours of FMV cutscenes.

This is clearly an ad hominem attack without substance, against the greatest RPGs of all time. Legends such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy come to mind. They also criticize games that are currently in development, such as Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is probably unwise in most instances.

Indeed, no mention is made of Fable: TLC, arguably the most innovative RPG to come out this century

So I guess I was right in that statement I made earlier, in that most people that think Oblivion is a great RPG are just a bunch of retards that cut their RPG teeth on a bunch of shitty JRPGs and think games like Baldur's Gate are 'oldie classics'.

I also like how its OMGBAD to trash a game before it's released, but it's a-okay for magazines like Game Informer to put Oblivion in the Game of the Year 2005 choices.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
In essence they sound just like you guys!

Except they still don't know what turnbased is.

Except they don't have the brain power to see what our complaints may be.

Except they don't have the perception required to understand why someone mentioned Diablo. Hint: it isn't because we're powergamers.

Except they still believe console RPGs, quality aside, are comparable in roleplaying to CRPGs.

And so on.

dont they realize that the only way to really be individual is to like what you like no matter what it is where it comes from or how its viewed.

No kidding? I'm glad he warned us about it because that's like totally not what we do.

The Grinman said:
I think I can some up a lot of people's thoughts from RPG Codex

Then you and those you attempt to speak for don't think, period.

LlamaGod

Cipher
He doesn't like that Neverwinter Nights players can make thier own adventures, even though those prove to be better written than the original

like thats hard to do

Whipporowill

Erudite
WELCOME TO TEH INTARNET: EVERYBODY HAS A COMMENT AND NOONE'S GOT A CLUE

Seriously, reading the comments on other sites - I've "learned" that Spaz is a power-gaming angsty teenager that lives in his mothers cellar and that "he won't let Jeff Vogel try anything new". That last part was the most stupid, as I can recall Spaz being one of the most vocal in complaining that Vogel can't be bothered to come up with something new. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
I learned that RPG Codex wouldn't exist if not for Baldur's Gate, so I will adapt a more positive attitude toward Bio in the future!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom