Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

200 reasons to love PC Gaming

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Jaime Lannister said:
Otherwise, I prefer to have the physical disc.

I disagree. Disks scratch and get lost. With Steam there's no need to maintain the disk.

Well hard-drives fail.

Also, I did write the password down somewhere, years ago when I bought the very, very basic edition of HL2 (the one without all of the additional features and extra [shitty] games [here's looking at you DoD:Source]). The problem arises because I can't account for the tiny, flapping piece of paper I used absentmindedly in the excitement of installing HL2 for the first time.

Tardvapor

Novice
ever think to try the "I forgot my password" button?

CDs are a shitty medium, and steam isn't all bad. Data being sent home about who fucking knows what is pretty ridiculous though.

Swapping accounts with friends is a good thing, being able to install on any computer an infinite number of times and play from anywhere is also pretty DRM - lite.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Tardvapor said:
CDs are a shitty medium
If it's so bad, why is it so broadly available and still being improved upon?
Data being sent home about who fucking knows what is pretty ridiculous though.
Ridiculous how? Because you don't know what it is, it means it probably isn't important? So if you had to expend money monthly for things you didn't know about, it would be a problem?
Swapping accounts with friends is a good thing
You can swap cds with friends as well.
being able to install on any computer an infinite number of times
I can install form my cds an infinite number of times, as long as I keep then in shape. STEAM installations are limited to as long as you have access to internet and the steam service is operational.
and play from anywhere
My cds allow me this same freedom.
is also pretty DRM - lite.
Only they don't have DRM.

Silellak

Cipher
There is no middle ground. Steam is either a horrible piece of DRM-based crap with no place in the world of real gamers, or Steam is God's gift to gamers and physical media is only for ancient cavemen stuck in the dark ages of the 20th century.

poocolator

Erudite
Tardvapor said:
ever think to try the "I forgot my password" button?

CDs are a shitty medium, and steam isn't all bad. Data being sent home about who fucking knows what is pretty ridiculous though.

Swapping accounts with friends is a good thing, being able to install on any computer an infinite number of times and play from anywhere is also pretty DRM - lite.

Doesn't work. Asks some stupid personal question I fudged to begin with, or whatever. It doesn't matter, if it worked I wouldn't be bitching. This is all still beside the point-- Steam sucks and you can too.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Also, if people consider cds so shitty, just make iso images from then and carry everything in a pendrive. 16gb ones go for $30 tops, and can hold a lot of shit.

racofer said:
Also, if people consider cds so shitty, just make iso images from then and carry everything in a pendrive. 16gb ones go for $30 tops, and can hold a lot of shit.
SS drives wear out pretty quickly though.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Satori said:
racofer said:

Like, you install games from then on a hourly basis?

Besides, I got a 2gb flash drive from 3 years ago that's still running strong, and it sure as hell is used a fucking lot.

Melcar

Arcane
racofer said:
Satori said:
racofer said:

Besides, I got a 2gb flash drive from 3 years ago that's still running strong, and it sure as hell is used a fucking lot.

Maybe he uses them in "other ways"?

Melcar said:
racofer said:
Satori said:
racofer said:

Maybe he uses them in "other ways"?
That's enough of that, you.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
racofer said:

For $30 I could buy the game and support the developer.

poocolator

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
racofer said:

For $30 I could buy the game and support the developer.

Yes, but... do they deserve support?
I like demoing games, which helps decide and buy what I really want. Sometimes, I demo games and forget to buy them ^_^ silly me

francisout

Novice
Jaime Lannister said:
here we go, another "let's justify stealing!" thread.

copyright infringement is not stealing, for fuck's sake. It's similar in some ways, but you just look like an idiot when you call software piracy stealing.

entertainer said:
how about 200 reasons to hate console gaming?

I'll start!

#1: PC ports of console games

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
copyright infringement is not stealing, for fuck's sake
we're talking about piracy, smarty pants. no don't answer, the only person that argument impressed was the person who came up with it, just kill yourself

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Best reason to love PC gaming:

You can always switch to windowed mode, so you don't have to bear the shitty resolution on a large screen, like you would with a TV.

All old low res games, I play in a window, especially Icewind Dale and Mandate Of Heaven.

Chefe

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
here we go, another "let's justify stealing!" thread.

It's not stealing if nothing is physically removed from an inventory.

poocolator

Erudite
Major_Boobage said:
Steam was crap at start, its decent now and has it use. I'll take steam on anyday over the DRM like activation protection.

People who hate steam for infriction of privacy are ignorant.

get.a.brain.morans.jpg

Relayer71

Liturgist
Correction:

122.Bioware
For pushing story harder than any other dev team in the world. They've built an empire on story, linearity and accessible writing and pretty much nothing else (like gameplay, challenge, choice & consequence, depth) and that success is almost as much deserved as Bethesda's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom