Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

200 reasons to love PC Gaming

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
And now for the longest list of them all: <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213997">Computer and Video Games 200 reasons to love PC Gaming</a>. Relevant Codexian entries include:
<blockquote>9. Cocks in Space: Thank you, Spore.
11. No-CD Cracks: Because discs are a 1990s problem.
18. Dicking around with Deus Ex
19. Creepy ragdolls
20. Old games on new hardware
24. Text Adventures
45. Dwarf Fortress
50. Speed runs
58. Morals defined entirely by killing
66. Grinding
95. Epic manuals</blockquote>
Part 2 with the last 100 is coming later.

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Chefe

Erudite
I can't tell if this is satire or just sad. Maybe that's where the genius in it lies.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
2. Fall from Heaven
This mod adds dark fantasy to the historic armageddon of Civilization IV, and is easily as good as the base game. The Civ devs agree: the Fall from Heaven creators got to produce a scenario for Civ IV's Beyond the Stars expansion. Try Fall for yourself at snipurl.com/d816q.
They don't even bother to get the names of the games they are writing about right anymore. :declineofjournalism:

Micmu

Magister
Epic manuals?
It's shitty DVD case and pamphlet time now. Argh.

Cocks in Space - I guess the guy is a Codex visitor!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Huge manuals were, are and will be a by-product of bad design. If you can't put all the cool background information you've written into the game itself, you shouldn't be designing games.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Rohit_N said:
Part 2 is up.
122.Bioware
For pushing story and choice harder than any other dev team in the world. They've built an empire on character development and accessible writing, and that success is deserved.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT:
124.Valve
The smartest developers in the world, producing classic after classic. Even better, they listen to what PC gamers want and need. Their Steam digital distribution service is as important to PC gaming as Windows.

Hümmelgümpf said:
Rohit_N said:
Part 2 is up.
122.Bioware
For pushing story and choice harder than any other dev team in the world. They've built an empire on character development and accessible writing, and that success is deserved.

EDIT:
124.Valve
The smartest developers in the world, producing classic after classic. Even better, they listen to what PC gamers want and need. Their Steam digital distribution service is as important to PC gaming as Windows.

Oh my fucking god.

Micmu

Magister
Their Steam digital distribution service is as important to PC gaming as Windows
RIIIIGHT
I wonder how I managed without it (or any Valve's products apart from HL 1).

Hümmelgümpf said:
124.Valve
I must have missed the hilarity. Aside from Blizzard, who else has had the consistent quality that Valve has released? No one.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
The Ninth Circle said:
I must have missed the hilarity. Aside from Blizzard, who else has had the consistent quality that Valve has released? No one.
The original Half-Life was decent. After that Valve became a reliable supplier of shit.

EDIT: And then there is Steam. Keep spyware away from PC, mkay, Gabe?

Hümmelgümpf said:
The Ninth Circle said:
The original Half-Life was decent. After that Valve became a reliable supplier of shit.

EDIT: And then there is Steam. Keep spyware away from PC, mkay, Gabe?
Original Half-Life was only decent? I don't see where it could've improved other than eliminating the entire planet portion of the story. HL2, while significantly different than HL1, is still a very good corridor shooter. The game just feels right, something most developers stumble on. I don't see what they've released that has been anything short of good. I don't like TF2 as it strayed too far from TFC but I can definitely see the quality and why others like it.

Steam is fine.

The Wizard

Educated
this is bioware. it is made of mediocre and mediocre.

well, valve is producing what pc gamers want. it's not their fault most of them are imbecilic leeches that get kicks from running around and shooting stuff. hl2 and the episodes were halfway decent(unskippable "interactive" cutscene dumbfuckery aside).

Black

Arcane
TF2 and L4D are also good. Don't hate on Valve because they do what they do best- fps games. We need LESS devs who think they can make RPGs but actually can't, not more.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
The Ninth Circle said:
Original Half-Life was only decent? I don't see where it could've improved other than eliminating the entire planet portion of the story.
It would improve the game a lot. Xen was worse than Malachor V and the Golden Temple combined.
HL2, while significantly different than HL1, is still a very good corridor shooter. The game just feels right, something most developers stumble on.
Not to me. I could never get into it. The series simply lost whatever charmed it had with HL2. I don't like the characters, I don't like the story, and above all else, I hate the level design. Linear levels of HL were excusable, given the setting. In fact, they made the game feel almost survival-horror-ish. Linear levels of HL2 are just plain weird and artificial.
I don't see what they've released that has been anything short of good. I don't like TF2 as it strayed too far from TFC but I can definitely see the quality and why others like it.
Can't comment on TF2, as I'm not into multi-player. Portal, on the other hand, is one of the easiest puzzle games I've ever seen. Coincidentally, it also make Portal one of the shittiest puzzle games I've ever seen.
Steam is fine.
Steam is a glorified DRM measure that masquerades as a store, trojan-style. I don't want to have any third-party applications hanging in the background when I'm playing. I don't want games to call home. I don't want Steam to upload my personal data to the Valve HQ.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Then dont use steam Hümmelgümpf. I was skeptic about steam but it has evolved great. You can play your games everywhere and my games are always patched and work well.

If you dont like it, then dont use it.

Anyway its a pretty decent list including PS:T. They did write Bhaal wrong though.

Steam is a glorified DRM measure that masquerades as a store, trojan-style

Please prove this.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Major_Boobage said:
Then dont use steam Hümmelgümpf. I was skeptip about steam but it has evolved great. You can play your games everywhere and my games are always patched and work well.

Valve's games are Steam-only. Bought a retail copy? You must register it in Steam and run it from there.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
Major_Boobage said:
Then dont use steam Hümmelgümpf. I was skeptip about steam but it has evolved great. You can play your games everywhere and my games are always patched and work well.

Valve's games are Steam-only. Bought a retail copy? You must register it in Steam and run it from there.

And then you can use it with your steamaccount on every pc you want.

Are you abroad and do you have a pc+ internet? Download and play. Easy as killing cows.

Or just use offlinemode if you dont have internet and its already installed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom