Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

20 Games That Defined Role-Playing Games

saenz

Scholar
Honestly, I'm pretty impressed at their choices and reasonings. I especially liked how they avoided some sacred cows that were natural refinements as opposed to truly innovative products.

At the very least, it's rare you actually see a print gaming mag like Game Pro post something thoughtful like this.

:incline: for effort.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
MMXI said:
That is the most retarded RPG related article I've read in a long time.

This.

Also:

GamePro said:
Thanks to Baldur’s Gate, BioWare was already considered as one of the masters of RPG development

:what:

Also good Job mentioning "Fallout" and then showing a picture of Fallout 2.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
AndhairaX said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
Good list

My only argument is that Morrowind is more influential than Arena.

Incorrect. Arena was the most influential and groundbreaking game of the TES series. It was leagues ahead of it's time when it was released.

morrowind changed the direction of the genre. It made publishers say, "oh, we can sell RPGs on consoles".

malichaixx

Novice
Urist McMal cancels read article: too much Weeaboo.

all right, I did read the whole thing, but I'm sick of the jRPG worship that goes on in the West. I can't stand the railroading, the cutesy-poo characters, the storylines....urgh.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Well, that was a fool's errand.

If you try to make a list of the 20 most influential RPGs and you decide to cover:

- WRPGs
- JRPGs
- MMORPGs
- Japtactical RPGs
- Roguelikes
- action adventure games with stats

The list is doomed to be nothing but a mish mash because each genre only gets a few games.

And this is was a mish mash.

But it was nice to see Fire Emblem on there.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MMXI said:
Are the Pokemon games actually RPGs? Can you define the protagonist in any way or do you merely level up their pokemon?

If it's not an RPG, what would you classify it as?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
MMXI said:
Are the Pokemon games actually RPGs? Can you define the protagonist in any way or do you merely level up their pokemon?
If you think of your Pokemon as your party rather than the protagonist as the lead character (since for all intents and purposes, the Pokemon are what make the game), then yes, there's a huge amount of depth, considering you can breed Pokemon, choose what attacks they learn, can use various temporary and permanent upgrades, etc.

curry

Arcane
As corny as it is, those old ass Pokemon games were more RPG than most of the contemporary shit by Obsidian or Bioware.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Tbh I havent played pokemon but seeing the RPGs today I am willing to bet that the inspiration definatelly comes from pokemon. Other than that I dont think I want to read anything from Gamepro...

MMXI said:

Trainer guy has no stats, bu the pokemans are the actual party anyway. The protagonist is just the guy that walks around opening doors for them with his opposable thumbs. They also need him for talking to people, because pokemons can only say their own name. How else would they buy potions in stores?

Anyway, my post on this subject, from that other thread

Clockwork Knight said:
Considering the stuff that passes for RPG these days, I don't see much reason to laugh at pogeymans.

Turn based combat(newer ones have 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 battles)
Full party creation
Huge customization (unless you're a tourneyfag, in which case there are like 5 "community approved" party builds)
Stats matter (but trainer guy has no stats)
No romances (only raw, animal sex among monsters)
No bullshit epic story (there may be a crime syndicate or two in your way, but what matters is: are you a bad enough dude to beat the champion?)
No cutscenes
No fake choices (You sure as fuck are a bad enough dude. Take this monster and go hurt things for XP and money)
No grindan (unless you're lazy and want to win by sheer level difference)
No decline (the best, most complex title is always the latest one)
Very few bugs (the discovered ones are famous because of that)
Beauty contests where you can even win ribbons for your pretty princess of a fire breathing dragon, holy shit

fake edit: Hey, it even fulfills Serious_Business requirements for oldschool goodness.

SB said:
Shitty interfaces, generic settings, repetitive gameplay, grindan and loot, excel sheets, levelling up, fake-difficulty based on character skill and not player skill, etc

edit: Here, a comparison of combat in pokemans and two other most prestigious RPGs.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
l3loodAngel said:
Tbh I havent played pokemon but seeing the RPGs today I am willing to bet that the inspiration definatelly comes from pokemon.

Nope, Pokemon games are much more complex than "the RPGs today", assuming you mean AAA titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom