Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

20 Games That Defined Role-Playing Games

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p><em>What are the most influential RPGs ever made?</em> A question <a href="http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/221341/rpg-pillars-20-games-that-defined-role-playing-games/" target="_blank">raised by GamePro</a>.</p>
<p>Here you have a snippet:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Pokémon (1996)</strong>

Why It's a Pillar: As with many of Shigeru Miyamoto's games, Pokémon is based upon an idea that many children can relate to: bug collecting. Maybe that's why Pokémon -- arguably Nintendo's most valuable franchise -- is so consistently successful from generation to generation, even with the central premise remaining largely unchanged. Its influence on the genre lies in that same, deceptively simple premise, which encourages players to "catch 'em all." Millions of children have done just that, and in the process, RPG mechancis have become part of their gaming vocabulary. In that sense, plenty of "adult" RPGs owe Pokémon a large debt.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>They also have entries like KotoR and Pool of Radiance.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104008-rpg-pillars-20-games-that-defined-role-playing-games.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
reads like someone just wanted to list some popular games and the defining pillar thing was just slapped on afterwards, whether it fit or not.
meh.

To be honest, if you're going for 'influential' rather than 'good', then the stupidity is contained entirely in the decision to call Pokemon an rpg. If you look past that, it isn't so crazy an inclusion. I fucking hate the thing, but Pokemon was a freakishly widespread cultural craze. I'd object to it being called a crpg, but if you're going to categorise it as one, then it's certainly one of the most godawfully omnipresent ones.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
King's Bounty defined crpgs?

My, those sites really do come up with the most bizarre things to earn some hits.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Miyamoto had nothing to do with Pokemon, the franchise was created by Satoshi Tajiri. “GamePro"? Jesus, at least check Wikipedia before making up random stories.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Good list

My only argument is that Morrowind is more influential than Arena.

Jive One

Educated
At least the first four "bedrock" choices are right on, and good on them for picking Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy even though Ultima technically inspired both.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pokemon's been around for over ten years, still uses turn-based combat, and remains a multi-million seller popular with kids. It's a fine pillar and a lot of baka gaijin developers could learn from it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo is responsible for one of the new permutations of the role-playing genre: the point-and-click dungeon crawler. The original expertly marries Rogue's dungeon-diving mechanics with a massive skill tree,

:what:

Diablo had no skill trees...

Andhaira

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
Good list

My only argument is that Morrowind is more influential than Arena.

Incorrect. Arena was the most influential and groundbreaking game of the TES series. It was leagues ahead of it's time when it was released.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Roguey said:
Pokemon's been around for over ten years, still uses turn-based combat, and remains a multi-million seller popular with kids. It's a fine pillar and a lot of baka gaijin developers could learn from it.
Besides, every new game gets more pokemons, attacks, skillz, combat styles and general content...something really rare in today's "let's simplify/dumbdown everything" way of thinking.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dungeon Master is responsible for one of the new permutations of the role-playing genre: the point-and-click dungeon crawler.

Fixed.

I haven't even read the article, but I can still tell that it is full of crap.

MMXI

Arcane
That is the most retarded RPG related article I've read in a long time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What about Ultima 1 in 1981? What about Wilderness Campaign in the late 70's?

Really, MMXI said it all.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The choices don't look bad for the most part (at least Oblivion isn't on there), but the text blurbs are :retarded:.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roguey said:
I agree. Even if you don't like the art style, universe etc. it has some pretty strong mechanics with a surprising amount of depth if you choose to get into the competitive multiplayer stuff, or even the in-game Battle Towers which basically switch on super cheat mode for the computer and require absolute perfect play. As far as the mainstream goes it's probably the most "hardcore" JRPG short of Dragon Quest. And to say it's had no influence is just stupid - it's pretty much solely responsible for the massive boom of JRPGs on portable platforms, which has only in the last couple of years begun to subside.

That said, most of the choices on this list are fine, for better or for worse. It's the text blurbs that are facepalm-inducing - it's hard to believe the author even played half the games on it extensively.

Machocruz

Arcane
Utlima 7, the game that open world games have been trying to imitate since.

Edit: More specifically, set the standard for interactivity.

MMXI

Arcane
Are the Pokemon games actually RPGs? Can you define the protagonist in any way or do you merely level up their pokemon?

mangsy

Educated
I played the shit out of the Pokemon Blue on my Game Boy when I was a kid.

:yeah:

@MMXI: Why wouldn't it be an RPG? It's turn-based, you've got party members with statistics that gain experience and level up, etc.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Get's down to the same "Laptop guy doens't have stats, Jagged Alliance 2 is no RPG" nonsense...but at least in Pokemon you choose the name and sex of the trainer. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom