Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 15 Things PC Gamer Wants to See in Mass Effect 3

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Decado said:
Scouring the battleground for these after every fight was not fun. Switching weapons just to reload them before picking up another clip was not quick, or fun. And continually running out of ammo for your favourite weapon made no sense in the context of these supposedly universal coolant clips. If you must have ammo, just restock it after every fight. And for God’s sake call it ammo, you’re not fooling anyone with the nonsensical coolant concept.

Jesus Christ I want to punch retards like this. WHO THE FUCK RUNS OUT OF AMMO IN THIS GAME? WHO? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST KILL YOURSELF.

Seriously. "Continually running out of ammo"? What are you, fucking retarded? And your solution isn't "I should learn how to aim" but "MAEK GAME EASIER PLEAZE!"

To be fair, that did happen to me when I was playing an inflitrator because the sniper rifle has like 6 shots before it runs out of ammo and that's about all the inflitrator is good at doing (barrier->invisibility->snipe). Of course, that's why you have more than one weapon. Not like it ever killed me or anything.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jaesun said:
The other Sniper Rifles have plenty of ammo, more than 6.

No, that's not the point. Limited ammo was part of the game design: Learn how to fucking make your shots count or go play fucking Halo / CoD or whatever the fuck is popular.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
“Guys, I saw Saren kill a guy!”
“We don’t believe you.”
“Here’s a recording.”
“OK, we believe you. Find him!”
“Found him. His ship is a Reaper.”
“We don’t believe you.”
“His Reaper ship is killing you now.”
“OK, we believe you. Save us!”
“Done. Oh look, another Reaper!”
“We don’t believe you.”
“OK, well I found the Reaper, defeated it, saved the world and sent you proof.”
“OK, we believe you.”

R00fles!

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
The other Sniper Rifles have plenty of ammo, more than 6.

Yes but if you upgrade (which is DAMN HARD TO DO) you can have up to 13 shots with the widow rifle (which is the most powerful one with the smaller clip size).

13 shots is quite a lot since you can one shot almost everything on insanity if you cloak and do a headshot. Even so you should always use your squad's biotics to soften the targets up to ensure one shot kills.

Running around the battle like a moron looking for ammo pickups was fucking stupid. If you didn't you ran out of ammo fast, but they were just randomly placed around the level with no reason to be there. I can expect gameplay like that in something like Doom, but why the fuck is ammo just strewn about in ME2? Especially annoying was how it was very inconspicuous and often lying on the ground or behind an object so in a cluttered area you could be 5 feet away from a pickup you were supposed to get and not notice it.

Angthoron said:
The list wasn't anywhere as retarded as I thought it would be when I clicked the link.

Can't rage, am disappoint.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I always thought the Mass Effect games would be better off as single game installments.

That way the level progression/companions/story could be reset after each installment. Really the way to go in my opinion.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
1. A little faith

Yeah, that was pretty annoying.

2. More varied combat

Agreed.

3. Free run of the galaxy

I'd rather have quality over quantity. Returning to a neutered Citadel in ME2 was disappointing.

4. Broader choice of weapons

Ok. I really didn't mind the weapon selection in ME2, but more customization would've been nice. I'd rather have a customizable 'longsword' than 'longsword +1', 'longsword +2', 'longsword +3 +1d4 fire damage', ect.

5. More convincing romances

Fag.

6. No coolant clips

I thought the clips were a good idea, though it was silly to move the technology backwards from ME1.

7. A mix of the personal and epic

I enjoyed chasing Saren around, but I didn't like helping Alien #11 come to terms with his daddy issues. The loyalty quests felt like a waste of time. "Shepherd, I know the universe depends on us, but could you spare a moment to help my adopted little brother win his high school basketball game? They really need a good coach, and I know you're [Extreme/Heroic] enough to lead them to victory!" Why is an interstellar hero playing Dr. Phil?

8. A less fiddly cover system

I didn't have the problems PC Gamer is describing.

9. No Cerberus

Agreed.

10. A closer knit squad

Agreed.

11. Better class abilities

Why bitch about the Soldier? The soldier was a time-freezing rape-train. The Vanguard was much more shitty.

12. Old friends

I do love Wrex. Agreed.

13. An Elcor team mate

Why does this guy ask for fewer, more developed, teammates, and then ask for a team mate from one of the more retarded minor races? I don't want Space-Ben Stein following me around.

14. Female Shepard on the box. Unless you want to have lips thicker than your wrists and talk like a sportscaster, you play as a female Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. It’s not just aesthetic. Jennifer Hale’s voice gives Shepard a different character: battle hardened, world weary and hard edged.

Why would you want your blatant self-insert to be female? Shit's gay, son.

15. Tali’s face

No, unless they make her incredibly ugly to troll the waifu-fags. And please refrain from using 4chan memes in your articles, PC Gamer.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why bitch about the Soldier? The soldier was a time-freezing rape-train. The Vanguard was much more shitty.

Vanguard was hilarious. FUCK COVER, I'M GONNA PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.

Perfect for my EXTREME playthrough.

Drakron

Arcane
20 Eyes said:
6. No coolant clips

I thought the clips were a good idea, though it was silly to move the technology backwards from ME1.

No, they were not.

It was a attempt at balancing weapons without using the overheating system from ME1 that people keep bitching about (just like the elevators, now they can enjoy loading screens).

They could have simply made infinite termo clips to "balance" the weapons without the "oh, I run out of ammo ... lets me check is some clips have dropped" that was what ME2 clips ended up being, a nuisance since neither your teammates or the enemies ever run out of thermo clips, just the reloading time would be enough.

If they done that people would not bitch as much, also it would not have the strange "upgrade->downgrade" feeling.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
What was so bad about Cerberus?

Mostly the way you were railroaded into a group that you killed by the dozens in the last game. And people bitch about JRPGs...

But what if I want to work with the Alliance or the Council?

NOPE. They think you're crazy again!

But Cerberus are terrorist scum. What if I want to work alone?

NOPE. You have to work with Cerberus. The offer is too good to turn down! Besides, where are you going to get a ship?

I'm motherfucking Shepard, I headbutt Krogans. Why can't I just EXTREME into a ship?

NOPE. You can only EXTREME your way into and out of situations when the red EXTREME indicator comes up on the screen. Do you see a red indicator?

Then I guess you're not getting your own ship, bitch. Now get in the Normandy II Sponsored By Cerberus (tm) and enjoy the immersion!

Baron

Arcane
Was a good article, a list of points that had me sagely nodding like a San Andreas bobblehead.

BioWare should just bite the bullet and do the work of adding returning squad members even if they might not be alive in everyone’s game. And I think the top of that list has to be Wrex. We love the toad-faced psycho so much that him just saying “Shepard.” has become one of the series’ most quoted lines.

denizsi

Arcane
How could combat be more varied anyway? As long as they keep applying the basic consolized self-contained Now You Fight / Now You Adventure design philosophy, it will never be varied enough. The shit will have become old by your 10th combat encounter.

Baron

Arcane
Kobolds. They need kobolds.

In Mass Effect you deal with humanoids with firearms (bullet and explosive) and the occasional near stationary boss monster. There are space zombies, and (psychic) wizards ...but no kobolds.

ME3 needs the Volus and Hanar races to step up as minions of the Reapers. Not only is this betrayal a devastating turn of events to Paragon Shepherd but the combat would be greatly improved by being swarmed by these formerly docile races* and having to smack them down with your rifle butt to conserve ammunition (the Hanars should explode upon contact and the Volus too on a critical). But otherwise, I find I never get tired of the close range in your face violence of the original Unreal Tournament. And a few more maps that didn't look so artificially designed as combat maps would be appreciated which would just involve making the cover objects a little more natural to the environment.

* under Reaper mind control or just selling out the galaxy, YOU MUST DECIDE.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drakron said:
20 Eyes said:
6. No coolant clips

No, they were not.

It was a attempt at balancing weapons without using the overheating system from ME1 that people keep bitching about (just like the elevators, now they can enjoy loading screens).

They could have simply made infinite termo clips to "balance" the weapons without the "oh, I run out of ammo ... lets me check is some clips have dropped" that was what ME2 clips ended up being, a nuisance since neither your teammates or the enemies ever run out of thermo clips, just the reloading time would be enough.

If they done that people would not bitch as much, also it would not have the strange "upgrade->downgrade" feeling.
This. A very good concept that would solve this issue completely.

The whole idea of coolant clips as it is impeleneted in ME2 is retarded, on many levels - design, gameplay, world consistency (sorry for partially repeating what other people already said/wrote).
- Weapons overheat, but DO NOT cool down in time. You HAVE TO use the coolant clip. So, effectively it is not a coolant clip, but an ammo clip.
- They are supposed to be universal but You can't use the 30 spare You have for other weapons for Your favourite gun.
- They are used and found universally everywhere (even on planets not visited for years!), even though the technology was introduced after ME1 (two years gap).
- Only Shepard needs the clips, nobody else in the game seems to use them.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Notorious said:
Angthoron said:
Notorious said:
5. More convincing romances

How about romances? And not whatever we got in Bioware games (Kindergarten stuff?)

Wouldn't a romance take much longer to depict than there is gameplay time of the entire trilogy?

Well... let's compare Kotor 1 and 2. In the 1. we got... I don't even remember her name, she was annoying in the 2. handmaiden. At the end of the game I cared about Handmaiden, in Kotor 1 I was just glad that I could finally kill her off.

But both were not very convincing so... either do them right or not at all

If you found handmaiden attractive you're a faggot. That's all there is to it.

Baron

Arcane
I really hope they do as the journo suggested and cut the ME3 party back. I loved what they tried to do with Mass Effect 2 with the emotional reaction from the loss of party members, but maybe I'm a little geth-like in my feelings because I would have jettisoned Jack or Grunt on the first planet with a volcanic surface if it could have been vaguely justified in saving the galaxy. In contrast I'd grown to love most of my ME1 crew... the non humans, at least.

It's just occured to me that given Bioware's association with Star Wars, and the game's obvious similarities to that franchise, that Lucas' business manager must be kicking himself that Mass Effect wasn't turned into a Star Wars game. Someone really screwed the pooch on that one. Personally I'm thankful. I could care less if I saw another Wookiee or heard the Williamson score again. Having an original setting lets them cut loose with some creativity, and I'd wish they'd take bigger risks. Now that the combat system is in reasonably good shape, I hope they finish the third with a return to story, RP and thought provoking science fiction concepts that will inspire me to multiple playthroughs.

Failing that, just shoot some more uppity aliens in the face.

Xor

Arcane
I'm not sure how they could shoehorn the ME metaplot into the Star Wars universe. Also, if it was a SW game, Shepard would be a jedi and I'm kind of sick of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom