Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You most favorite Troika game?

• Total voters

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm convinced the best way to get people to like your game is to just frontload as much content as possible because it seems most people just uninstall games instead of getting more than a third of the way through them.

I think having a general game design approach of fairly open and wide content that culminates in an "end game rush" that funnels you into wrapping everything up so you don't have a million loose ends is a reasonable and good approach. It's a game's climax.

Oh, and the werewolf fight was fuckin' retarded. Let's assume everything goes exactly as it did: a garou wouldn't die from being crushed by a door. Garous soak lethal damage for breakfast, and can come back from the dead once per fight just because they're so pissed off. Equally stupid was being able to defeat Gruneld. Most of the plot is completely unexplainable unless you just shrug and go 'lolcaine'. See above about lore rape.

You care about WoD lore? lolgay

Ladonna

Arcane
Arcanum, by a mile. I like all three, but Arcanum is on another level for world building, quests, and ways to accomplish them. TOEE had good combat, nothing else. Vampire was fun, had some decent music in it, but pretty forgettable to me.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Arcanum is the most overrated game on Codex.
Nope, that's easily Bloodlines. I've never really seen anyone articulate why it's even a good game beyond "wow cool setting but I wish the game wasn't so shit"

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/vampire-the-masquerade-–-bloodlines-2-vaporware-vtmb-sequel-from-paradox-interactive.126124/page-147
image.png

If you can't summarize why a game is good, then it's not good.
its a good game because it it has a cool setting

Codex Year of the Donut
Arcanum is the most overrated game on Codex.
Nope, that's easily Bloodlines. I've never really seen anyone articulate why it's even a good game beyond "wow cool setting but I wish the game wasn't so shit"

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/vampire-the-masquerade-–-bloodlines-2-vaporware-vtmb-sequel-from-paradox-interactive.126124/page-147
image.png

If you can't summarize why a game is good, then it's not good.
its a good game because it it has a cool setting
good post and I agree

PanickedTushkano

Educated
I haven't played enough ToEE (one playthrough) to be able to say much about it, but Arcanum - in spite of all its qualities - is laborious. My first playthrough was fairly easy after a while, but my gunslinger/gunsmith dwarf ran into a lot of trouble and even though there were quite a few reactions to his race I don't think his high Intelligence mattered a lot. So that left me somewhat unsatisfied. Especially since the game doesn't bother to indicate stat checks in dialogue. The pointless combat bloat doesn't help and there are a lot of relatively uninteresting or small locations that are simply not worth ever visiting.

Bloodlines is limited in size, but what is there is goood. Really good. So much character. They are all so interesting and well voiced, the music and atmosphere are just spot on and the game almost completely avoids combat bloat and stupid inventory clutter and in general almost completely avoids wasting the player's time. Lots of dialogue reactivity that is well written and makes sense and even though some clans are not as interesting to play, some are much more distinct than we had any right to expect. And even for the less interesting clans there are still ways to differentiate them with skills, role-playing and such.

Clearly one of the best RPGs ever made.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not surprised, it's not a RPG fans forum, most people here enjoy Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Bitcher and all that FPS/walking simulator garbage.
So of course, Bloodlines leads.

Soon this place will just be Reddit with racial slurs.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'd say TOEE but I have actually played it and the experience was lacking. A terrible shame, it should be the best game, but it's not.

I have dropped Bloodlines in the sewer level (in Hollywood?) despite enjoying it a lot, even the combat was ok.

Arcanum is the best.

Melcar

Arcane
ToEE because I like to pretend it's a great game. It's just a D&D combat simulator. Shame. Still, it goes to #1.
Not a fan of the whole vampire setting thing, so I prefer Arcanum.

Mauman

Learned
I voted Arcanum for the worldbuilding, story, and writing in general. It has passable (though flawed) combat as well.

If I was voting purely on the combat system that'd be ToEE. Probably still the best adaption of DnD to a video game to date (with maybe the exception of Knights of the Chalice 2).

I'm not saying VTMB is bad....I do think it's overrated though.

Beans00

Erudite
Arcanum is my 3rd favorite game ever.

I liked TOEE but I'd never consider going back to it. Also some parts especially the first 5ish hours are very....boring.

Never played bloodlines, always meant to but the setting doesn't really appeal to me. I'll get around to it someday.

Stasgard

Liturgist
The title of this thread has curious implications that I want to discuss with you.

Also Arcanum because it has a healthy dose of fantasy racism.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I go with Temple of Elemental Evil. The combat is amazing to this day. The D&D adventure module feel is fully captured. I am suprised Arcanum isnt leading the poll so far. Will be interesting to see after more time has passed.

I'm not surprised, it's not a RPG fans forum, most people here enjoy Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Bitcher and all that FPS/walking simulator garbage.
So of course, Bloodlines leads.

Anyway, there's still a valid Poll from 2014, before all the millenials even heard of the Codex.
It says Arcanum 5th, Masquerade 6th, it was close but that's how it is.

Any poll after that is null and void because i'm pretty sure millenials IQ is below 100 and they shouldn't have the right to vote for anything.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bloodlines was great, except for the end.
I know right.

VtM:B felt rushed on the late game, and more glitched from what I can remember (played Gog's version). Savescumed like a degenerate, to finish the thing. I was left with a sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe if its combat system didn't suck (ba dum tsss), I'd feel itching for more, when the credits rolled.

TOEE was great, except for the beginning.
Yep, I also didn't like how the game starts...

Zlaja

Arcane
It's pretty close between Arcanum and Bloodlines for me, but I have to go with Arcanum.

And to those of you Arcanum-haters, all I have to say is: FUCK OFF AND I'LL GLADLY FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH WITH BARE KNUCKLES!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom