Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"All told I've probably got around 400+ hours into it and I've still not completed the main story for any faction."

I know there are a bunch of people like this guy out there, and I find it very strange. There's at most 120 hours' worth of unique content in the game, and you can't really stretch that out to 400 until you spend hundreds of hours building your settlements, deriving a great deal of joy from nude mods, disabling run mode and avoiding fast travel, and/or seriously grinding radiant quests in an effort to hit the level cap. All of these options seem rather pointless to me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Tuluse is responsible for the SitS review, he's just taking his sweet time.

As for Underrail, everyone who's eloquent enough to write a review either hates it (e.g roxor) or doesn't care (e.g bubbles).
This should tell you something about the people who like Underrail.
That we're more intelligent about word count/brofist earned ratio?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How would you compare the game size-wise with FO:NV + all DLC, Bubbles?

I'm an extremely slow player of games and I needed 300 hours to complete that.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

It's a bit difficult to compare. The world feels very cramped in FO4, and there's a huge amount of marked and unmarked locations full of cutely posed teddy bears in the game. My gameplay stats mention 333 explored locations; I don't remember if New Vegas had a similar counter, but it probably had fewer locations overall.

On the other hand, the quests in New Vegas felt much, much meatier, more varied, and more memorable. Fallout 4 may have about the same amount of quests in total, but the difference in complexity, entertainment value, and basic writing quality is like night and day. It's like comparing a good short story to a rejected Mad TV script.

And of course you can't hit every dialogue option in FO4 because of the "cinematic" system. In NV you could systematically investigate dialogue options and potentially spend a lot of time with that; in FO4 you're usually just clicking your way forward.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's a bit difficult to compare. The world feels very cramped in FO4, and there's a huge amount of marked and unmarked locations full of cutely posed teddy bears in the game. My gameplay stats mention 333 explored locations; I don't remember if New Vegas had a similar counter, but it probably had fewer locations overall.

On the other hand, the quests in New Vegas felt much, much meatier, more varied, and more memorable. Fallout 4 may have about the same amount of quests in total, but the difference in complexity, entertainment value, and basic writing quality is like night and day. It's like comparing a good short story to a rejected Mad TV script.

And of course you can't hit every dialogue option in FO4 because of the "cinematic" system. In NV you could systematically investigate dialogue options and potentially spend a lot of time with that; in FO4 you're usually just clicking your way forward.

Yeah, I often spend a lot of time on stuff like that. OTOH, I also spend a lot of time trying to approach each encounter juuuust perfectly so if FO4 has lots of combat that could be time-consuming.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm sure you know that comparing a 4+ year old and a five month old game on Steamspy isn't necessarily that meaningful...
There will always be that gap. But I know marketing-speak (or rather, silence) - Skyrim was widely announced as Steam's fastest selling game ever, Fallout 4 wasn't. And there was a huge media outbreak on "ships 12M copies on day one!!!", but ships =/= sold. And Bethesda didn't do a single "WE SOLD A TON!" press release since release - you can bet you will hear A LOT if they were outselling Skyrim's history.

I know there are a bunch of people like this guy out there, and I find it very strange. There's at most 120 hours' worth of unique content in the game, and you can't really stretch that out to 400 until you spend hundreds of hours building your settlements, deriving a great deal of joy from nude mods, disabling run mode and avoiding fast travel, and/or seriously grinding radiant quests in an effort to hit the level cap. All of these options seem rather pointless to me.
The guy claims to spend over 100 hs just building settlements... what you expect?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"All told I've probably got around 400+ hours into it and I've still not completed the main story for any faction."

But that's the Bethtard in a nutshell...they enjoy this kind of shit putting in thousands of hours.

Note that noone actually rebuffs things you mention like illusion of choice, illogical world and quest design, mostly useless stats and perks...they just shrilly defend their time in the game, stating how YOU don't get it or didn't play enough...etc.

After reading the review and these responses it finally struck me as to why this formula is so popular against all rational sense: the Bethesda game is basically a clicker game underneath the veneer of 'RPG'. The fact that it looks to be more meaty than H&S types of games which mechanically are just as simple if not more so, also tends to make Bethtards believe they are somehow playing something substantial, something on another level. Yet basically the game is a timesink where you do the same basic things over and over, most things are disconnected from the next with no real consequence, you can't really make a 'wrong' choice..it all propels you forward, but also gives you alternate things to click on(those recurring side quests)in order to keep raising stats...this is why it's successful like those piece of shit facebook timewasters masquerading as games.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, I often spend a lot of time on stuff like that. OTOH, I also spend a lot of time trying to approach each encounter juuuust perfectly so if FO4 has lots of combat that could be time-consuming.

I've personally spent more time on NV than on FO4 as well, but I couldn't say exactly know how much. I know I was clearing more content more slowly in New Vegas though; I liked weighing off quests options, thinking about the ethical ramifications of tough choices, even considering whether I should consult a guide to see if a decision might have horrible consequences. That never happened with FO4 for me. I even, weirdly, found combat harder in NV, but that may just have been inexperience.

I also liked listening to the classic radio songs in NV, whereas Fallout 4 flooded my radio with original Lynda Carter songs. Not to be rude, but Carter doesn't exactly have a reputation as a great jazz artist.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I must admit that for a few dozen hours I quite enjoyed all those beautiful, diverse vistas he mentioned in the review.
Writing was hilariously bad from the start so I pretty much ignored the main story and just cleared sites on the map.
That retarded amusement park actually managed to keep me amused and probably would have managed to do so even longer, but the CRPG and crafting mechanics got too boring after maybe 40 hours or so and enemy variety is not big enough so by then it even starts to suck as an open world shooter.

Never bothered with power armor either, that stuff is too imba and fusion cells too easily obtainable. It's like opening the console and typing tgm.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tuluse is responsible for the SitS review, he's just taking his sweet time.

As for Underrail, everyone who's eloquent enough to write a review either hates it (e.g roxor) or doesn't care (e.g bubbles).

There's also Crooked Bee, who's played both SitS and Underrail, liked both of them, but has absolutely zero time to write anything in the forseeable future.

tuluse dropped the assignment last year, I think. Deuce Traveler recently got a copy and IIRC said he'd have a review done "around May" or something like that. Failing that, I'll write one this summer as I'll likely have a good deal more time on my hands.

Feel free to write one if you want. I do have a copy of Serpent in the Staglands that ERYFKRAD was kind enough to get for me and I am now about a quarter or third through I think. So I'm still on track on getting the game done by the end of the month and the review. Which would you rather do, play 120+ hours of Fallout 4 for a Codex review or 25 hours of SitS. Discuss. (Answer: I got the better deal)

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think tuluse ever formally dropped it, he just became weird and disappeared from the Codex, only to resurface as a ghostly Shoutbox drunkposter every few weeks. Then there was agris who did drop it, and now DT.\

It's the Codex's RTwP Curse. Every RTwP game released is some kind of disaster in one way or another.

Ahem... I never dropped it. Actually, I'm kind of enjoying it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think tuluse ever formally dropped it, he just became weird and disappeared from the Codex, only to resurface as a ghostly Shoutbox drunkposter every few weeks. Then there was agris who did drop it, and now DT.\

It's the Codex's RTwP Curse. Every RTwP game released is some kind of disaster in one way or another.

Didn't say you did.

M0RBUS

Augur
The amount of win in this review is too damn high.
That was a good read, thank you :)

Ninjerk

Arcane

He was just saying "tuluse dropped it, and now DT [is taking it]."

And of course you're enjoying it--it's the sleeper GOTY 2015.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Good review. I hated F4 aswell. I had some(very little) hope that bethesda would have learned something after F:NV and absorb atleast a few good things from that game, but they managed to make an even worse game than Fallout 3.

Sometimes I can play through a RPG if it has good writing, even if it's a mess mechanic-wise. That was not Fallout 4's case though, the writing was atroucious. I couldn't play it more than 20 hours and I have no clue how one can manage to reach the 400 mark in that piece of shit game like some guy quoted in this thread. That's masochism.

Mortmal

Arcane
So any chance we get a Codex's review of Serpents in the Staglands or Underrail.. I am ashamed to be a member atm.
Fallout 4 is a lot more important, it generate megathreads and therefore traffic,it bring ads income to the site.Money is good ! The non controversial/oldschool rpgs doesnt bring money, neither to their authors nor the gaming sites.

Is this some kind of experiment to transform a review into clickbait form to see if it becomes more readily digestible by the masses? Or did we miss the April Fools deadline by a week and a bit?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I've personally spent more time on NV than on FO4 as well, but I couldn't say exactly know how much. I know I was clearing more content more slowly in New Vegas though; I liked weighing off quests options, thinking about the ethical ramifications of tough choices, even considering whether I should consult a guide to see if a decision might have horrible consequences. That never happened with FO4 for me. I even, weirdly, found combat harder in NV, but that may just have been inexperience.

I also liked listening to the classic radio songs in NV, whereas Fallout 4 flooded my radio with original Lynda Carter songs. Not to be rude, but Carter doesn't exactly have a reputation as a great jazz artist.

Only place I heard those songs were 'in-person' at the bar. Never heard them on the radio once.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Is that Twitter drivel the most feedback outside of the Codex a piece has gotten?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I don't remember either, but I never got to diamond city.
Well there's only two actual radio stations: Diamond City Radio and the Classical Station. Neither of which play her songs. There's a couple of other mini-stations like the one that plays the Silver Shroud broadcasts but I don't recall hearing them on that, either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom