Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mount & Blade, Skyrim, Life is Feudal: Your Own, Farcry 3 & 4, Wurm Unlimited, The Forest ...

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Mount & Blade, Skyrim, Life is Feudal: Your Own, Farcry 3 & 4, Wurm Unlimited, The Forest ...

Can you point me to the RPGWatch review of Far Cry 3?

Short version for Far Cry 4 (can be used for Far Cry 3 and Fallout 4 as well by replacing Kyrat with something else):
"Good open world sandbox FPS. Character development by learning skills, crafting and unlocking weapons. Many missions in a living world - liberate Kyrat!"

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It is intederesting review, but a bit overloaded in content if you please. Especially when the game in question is considered. Don't you care for your mechanical keyboard?

I sooo long, for the kind of reviews we had in the past merry days. They would fit here just right. For example:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/stalker-call-of-pripyat-trip-report.37093/

You would have to somehow spin it around to arrive at the proper conclusions (that the game "sucked" rather than "owned") but I am sure it is possible by giving a healthy dose of professionalism.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Oh a novel War and Peace length review - that must be Bubbles '

Reading though it has spoilered the most interesting stuff - so still no reason to play the game for me.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
felipepepe
You can have some fun with Fallout 4 (at least if you don't compare it with Fallout 1 & 2).
It's a good exploration adventure with many little stories to tell, just not a very deep CRPG.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, busy as I was, I'm only reading the review now... and I know this may come across as shocking, but the review actually has some good analysis. :M

Do read it if you're interested in where and how Bethesda went oh so wrong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As for Underrail, everyone who's eloquent enough to write a review either hates it (e.g roxor) or doesn't care (e.g bubbles).

I haven't played it yet. :cool:

Why Underrail is a Sawyeristic Game and Why It's All the Better For It

(this would be far more likely to come in the form of a trolly forum post as opposed to a review though)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe
You can have some fun with Fallout 4 (at least if you don't compare it with Fallout 1 & 2).
It's a good exploration adventure with many little stories to tell, just not a very deep CRPG.
Read the review, it doesn't only fail as an RPG. Bubbles explains very well that the combat sucks so hard, the dialog & companions are stupid and weapon variety is non-existent in reality.

For F4's huge price tag & inconsistency, you could simply buy a dozen decent FPS and randomly play them, linking them in your head via a bullshit storyline, and it would be a better experience than F4 provides.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
felipepepe
Read the review, it doesn't only fail as an RPG. Bubbles explains very well that the combat sucks so hard, the dialog & companions are stupid and weapon variety is non-existent in reality.

For F4's huge price tag & inconsistency, you could simply buy a dozen decent FPS and randomly play them, linking them in your head via a bullshit storyline, and it would be a better experience than F4 provides.

The main storyline is mediocre, but the companion quests put a smile on my face now and then. And there are many interesting side quests (not the radiant ones) that are well written.
I will not play Fallout 4 over and over again like Fallout 1&2, but it wasn't wasted time for me and I played it at least to the end of the main story.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
We definitely need more games like Fallout 4. Old RPGs make the brain hurt.
rNnWiB.gif

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I managed to endure every Bethesda game for 10-15 hours - this piece of shit I couldn't stand after 4 hours. It may not be the worst game ever, but it's without a doubt the most cringe inducing one.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
there are many interesting side quests (not the radiant ones) that are well written.

Give me some examples.
Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution, The Silver Shroud, Here There Be Monsters...

Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution was mentioned in my review as "a rocket-powered ancient sailing vessel that was stuck on top of a building; the ship was manned by a crew of malfunctioning robots who spoke in funny accents and thought that the war with China was still going on. I briefly poked my head into a nearby building; it was a super mutant slaughterhouse, decorated from floor to ceiling with hundreds of freshly dripping human livers and kidneys." I mentioned it to point out the silly tonal clash, but I'm happy to discuss the quest itself.

The quest is founded on a Monty Python reference and basically functions as a joke delivery machine for "goofy humor". In that sense the quality of the writing is subjective, but I found to be gratingly terrible. The gameplay consists of a couple of fetch quests strung together by jokes, although you at least get the opportunity to steal something during one of the quests, and you can choose between two endings. Structurally, it's one of FO4's better quests, but the "lol this robot crazy" style of writing was not what I would describe as "good".

By the way, Last Voyage also features that "repair the damage with an Int check or walk literally six feet to pick up the new cables" stat check that I got quite enraged about in an earlier section. They finally put a proper stat check in the game, and they waste it on this? Come the hell on.

The Silver Shroud

Same style of humor, although this time you impersonate a super hero and call people "foul villains" or "evildoers" in dialogue. You may find that funny, but I didn't. And of course the quest design takes the premise as an excuse to follow comic book logic, which isn't what I want from a good quest in the Fallout setting.

Here There Be Monsters

One of the best written quests, largely because the Chinese guy actually uses some Chinese words in dialogue. Still, the lameness of the "You have to go into the irradiated area and fight off all the feral ghouls to get me my plot item. I've been there before because I'm immune to radiation and the ghouls don't attack me, but I cannot help you because *waves hands* I have to do other things." quest conceit rubs me badly the wrong way. I think it was meant to be funny in a "This guy would be perfect to do this task, but he can't do it, so you have to, lol" kind of way, but I found that more stupid than amusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom