Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
As linear as Bloodlines is, it really is rewarding for repeated playthroughs seeing all the things you missed, similar to Deus Ex.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Finally bought Divine Divinity, very excited to start playing tonight.
Very good game, you're right to be excited.

I currently play most awesome game - Learning. I have exam this friday and if I pass it, I would play the shit out of E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy until I get sick. This keeps me motivated.

EDIT:
Ok, I "kinda" passed it - I must just learn some very little piece for next week and then it'll be passed.
Still, guess it's time for E.Y.E. tonight - BRING IT ON!

Humppaleka

Cipher
Divine Divinity is very fun but I got really tired after playing it for circa 10 hours, I have to keep a break from it. Killing the same enemies for hours, even if the combat is so damn fun, gets old. Or it's the style I'm playing it, playing mage and the only good spell worth using all the time seems to be Magic Missile with which you can kill anything if you have a big enough manapool... I don't even bother using anything else than that, shield and heal.

circ

Arcane
Finished BoF 2. Had forgotten a lot of it, but not as much as I forgot of BoF 1 which I finished a week earlier. Playing BoF 1 again was almost like playing it for the first time, which was fun-ish. Man BoF's are big, despite not having that many cities or areas to visit. Mostly it's due to the insane encounter rate though. There's a fight every 2 steps more or less. Music's horrible until the final quarter of the game or so, but whatever.

Now I'm ready for some wrpg action because I'd like a little more control over my group maybe, but don't feel like firing up ToEE for the millionth time, but also don't feel like something archaic like MM 1. I'm open to suggestions that don't feature the words BioWare or necessarily Origin.

Multi-headed Cow

Wasting a bunch of time with TOR since I picked that up for cheap and have bros to play it with. Also been plugging along on Avadon, which despite any visible C&C so far has been entertaining. The setting and combat have been fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things shake out.

B2035BDEAB82A5E69E91455F4FEEC5D58CC0D085

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow: I sincerely hope you have played at least one title of the previous series from the Developer (Avernum/Geneforge). Just so you can experience the decline in this new title/Series compared to previous works by Jeff Vogel first hand.

Multi-headed Cow

I haven't. I figured I'd try out the most declined popamole Vogel first before giving the Geneforge series a whirl. Since I'm enjoying Avadon I hope that bodes well for Geneforge.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Avadon is one of those games I can't get myself to finish. I've played it for 25 hours and hit the brick wall, just can't play it anymore. Had A LOT of fun the first 20 hours though, I should play the earlier Spiderweb games soon to compare. If I get the money for them that is...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been sucked into a couple games completely recently; Distorted Travesty, a sort of platformer/metroidvania game with a lot of polish considering they ripped most of the graphics out of other games. And Kamidori, which is sort of a fire emblem/atelier foo/recettear mashup. Both games are right up my alley. I've been playing Kamidori all day today, haven't eaten yet, and only stopped for that reason really. Must find moar loot. Must have more stats. And skills. and characters. Must have MOAR NUMBERS.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, I decided to give Rebelstar: Tactical Command (GBA) a try, and...

ZOMG this game is awesome!

:bounce:

Made by Jullian and Nick Gollop, of Rebelstar, Laser Squad and X-Com fame. You should know what to expect...

ISO TB combat on tactical level (similar to X-com's tactical layer) with moving, shooting, using overwatch, throwing grenades and flares, using first-aid kits (they can 'heal' HP, stun and low morale - I've seen this before...)

scv8J.jpg

Plus "AP left" is shown when using 'Move' command. Suck it down, X-Com

iiC1k.jpg

Units can use different equipment (melee, rifles, guns, heavy weapons, etc):

OKStN.jpg

pjgIr.jpg

Their Attributes go up with EXP

iywmD.jpg

Which allows them to increase their Skills (affect weapons' damage, accuracy and AP cost)

Qjgfa.jpg

b5rxj.jpg

Initially I was raging hard, since I couldn't change my equipment. But eventually...

gATgu.jpg

:love:

It's so awesome that I decided to re-start since I screwed-up with team's Skills distribution...

:rage:

Gameplay:

(art style is kinda next-gen, but not on Bioware level)

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I was playing Fantasy General on Ironman, +1, +1 difficulty, however I was defeated.

The map had a big patch of jungle surrounded by mountains on three sides and the enemy just hid in there so I ran out of time.

hoopy

Savant
I bought BioShock 2 when it was €5. It has online activation despite being on Steam, and I can't save the game without using GFWL (what the fuck is this). The combat is rather terrible.

Guess I'll waste time on something else instead.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I bought BioShock 2 when it was €5. It has online activation despite being on Steam, and I can't save the game without using GFWL (what the fuck is this). The combat is rather terrible.

Guess I'll waste time on something else instead.

Create an OFFLINE GFWL account and you will be able to save.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
As for playing, I just finished Rage. And I'm looking for the proper thread to dump my shit.

More Nocturne. Finished off (what I think is) the last of the fiends (The Harlot and The Trumpeter). Cool fights. The Harlot was just a powerhouse, and the fact she reflected physical attacks got me in a bad place the first time I fought her. Second time around went much better, especially when I swapped my party around. Trumpeter was pretty interesting with the random healing/killing, though I didn't like the fact that even though the main character nulled death and expel, Trumpeter's death song could kill him.

The Fourth Kalpa is pretty nuts. The boss seems to be one of the easier parts, though that's because Beelzebub fights pretty fair. First run went poorly because Throne is a useless piece of shit being weak to death attacks, and sucks in general (BTW, is whatever he evolves into good? He dies all the time in this game, a far cry from how much of a boss he was in Raidou games). Second run I made sure everyone nulled death, and I had the player character use a magatama that repelled electricity to get more press turns from bugboy. Brought in Black Rider for buffs/debuffs, Titania for healing, and Amaterasu for massive damage via Prominence or a well-placed Tetrakarn (reflecting a focused attack is p. awesome). Realized from my first run that using mana-restoring items was going to be necessary, and kissed a bunch of chakra drops, a couple chakra pots, and a great chakra goodbye, mostly because Beelzebub can actually dispell your buffs/debuffs and does so pretty frequently, especially when you pile them on. Daisoujou made a clutch save in the last few turns, subbing in for a dead Titania, and the White Rider subbed in for the horseman of Famine when he kicked the bucket. Good thing I didn't throw them in the fusion pot yet (don't know if I want to with Daisoujou; guy is the freakin' MVP of the game so far and only his low HP is really holding him back). After killing Beelzebub, I booked ass out of the dungeon, and luckily avoided any ambushes. There are an awful lot of those in the fourth kalpa, which is the main reason I have yet to get through the maze or the vault in any real way. Keep getting ass-raped by ambushes that can easily take apart the entire party.

Also took on Bishamonten. He's kind of a cheap-ass, with his whole ability to kill the party before you get a chance to do anything with his insane critical rate. After getting killed by his first two moves, I decided a physical resisting magatama was a good idea, and so was Grimmy to repel his attacks and end his turn. Once you don't get one-shotted, he's pretty easy, because like almost all non-fiend, non-Labyrinth bosses, he has no way to really interact with buffs/debuffs, so you can make him pathetically weak, unable to hit the broad side of a barn, and take immense damage from even regular attacks.

Fun game. Think I'm probably nearing the end though.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Gothic. Having fun exploring to some very interesting rapedeaths!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom