Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. Liking it a lot better than my previous attempts to play as now that I've wrapped my head around the combat and gameplay.

ALRIGHT BROS I STARTED BULLETSTORM

THE BEGINNING WANTED ME TO PULL ME FUCKING HAIR OUT CAUSE OF CINIEMATEC BULLSHIT BUT NOW IT IS SOERT OF FUN

MY TOLERANCE FOR CONSOLE SHOOTERS HAS BEEN DIMINISHED BUT THIS IS FUN WITH THE SKILLSHOT SHIT AND FUCKING UP FUHNCERS
It should keep you playing for the few hours it lasts, fun stuff although you'll delete it as soon as you're finished.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bought Gemeni Rue a while back and fuck me running WHY DIDN'T I PLAY THIS MUCH MUCH FUCKING SOONER! Fucking pure old school awesome, in awesome sauce.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
THERE IS NOTHING OLDSCHOOL ABOUT GEMINI RUE :x

I mean sure, it has 2D graphics and a point and click interface.

But endless cutscenes? not cool. Puzzles that solve themselves so easy they are? not cool. FUCKING POPAMOLE IN MY FUCKING ADVENTURE GAME? NOT COOL.

About the thing that's most oldschool about it is the idiosyncrasy of the interface, such as having to use the foot to step on a crate but the hand to step off the crate.

It IS worth it for fantastic story, generally excellent writing (with very few exceptions), good voice acting, AWESOME graphics (in low-res too!), awesome soundtrack and FUCKING AWESOME atmosphere. I've played very, very few games that manage to nail the atmosphere so well.

ION, I replayed Menzoberranzan to remember if it was as bad as I remember it. I think I've really become more mellow with the years, I enjoyed it a little more than I did the first time around. Has some very nice music in parts too. Though all in all I haven't changed my mind much, it's a very mediocre game, the dungeon crawling part is boring (aside from the Temple, which is good fun) and the drow "politics" bit is laughable as you're led by the nose through some really, really terrible "choices" that predate Bioware by years. The way the joinable NPCs are placed throughout the game is also really bad as it's impossible to end up with the party you want at the end (even with foreknowledge, which I had this time)

Currently "playing" Phantasmagoria, also out of half-nostalgia. This one OTOH is even worse than I remember. There is no gameplay to speak of, and the only saving grace (the FMV) is now laughably outdated and looks horrible, which leaves the game... well, with not much to its name. Pre-rendered backgrounds are pretty, as is music (game uses digitized music to good effect in parts, MIDI in others which sounds awesome on the Sound Canvas), and not much else.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
It IS worth it for fantastic story, generally excellent writing (with very few exceptions), good voice acting, AWESOME graphics (in low-res too!), awesome soundtrack and FUCKING AWESOME atmosphere. I've played very, very few games that manage to nail the atmosphere so well.
Yes it's a great game for those of us that love soaking in ambiance, not only that but also it is a Cyberpunk game of which there has been unfortunately a major drought of since the 90's.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing Elona, wow the grinding, maybe I'll try Dwarf Fortress next. Wasn't there a good new roguelike mentioned in the Codex? What was it?

GreyViper

Prophet
Meh I found Menzoberranzan medicore at best. It was the Ravenloft series that shined mostly in that engine, still it had its fill of brain dead mazes. But yeah the NPC system in all of these games was somewhat whacky, you really couldnt invest into NPC since you never knew when the motherland called.
Anyway new version of STALKER SGM v2.1 out with translation, somewhat stable then v2.0, have to see how faar it wil let me play without breaking the game.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Damned Registrations
Occasionally Fatal

So thanks for the extra tips some of it I had not yet found out. So I'm doing my play-through, with Eve, have a real nice combo of skills:
extra range, speed, damage; mr. boom and homing bombs, double tears, and for the companions little chad and baby steven plus a cube of meat. also the vampire ability (slow heal) plus poison touch.

Had like 8 HP and two blue hearts. And a pill that maxed out life. Only thing missing was a good special move, I only had doctor's remote which sucks most of the time - aiming it gets me too distracted most of the time.

So no trouble getting to mom's heart, done that one too, and what happens ? The devil's room does not appear and the game ends. Great trolling once again. I'm pretty sure I had a good chance at finishing Sheol if I had been able to get there. Gotta love the game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Devil room won't likely appear unless you kill the boss without taking damage, and preferably the entire floor.

Once you win enough times though, you won't need the room to show up. It's just a shortcut for the best players.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Damned Registrations
Occasionally Fatal

So thanks for the extra tips some of it I had not yet found out. So I'm doing my play-through, with Eve, have a real nice combo of skills:
extra range, speed, damage; mr. boom and homing bombs, double tears, and for the companions little chad and baby steven plus a cube of meat. also the vampire ability (slow heal) plus poison touch.

Had like 8 HP and two blue hearts. And a pill that maxed out life. Only thing missing was a good special move, I only had doctor's remote which sucks most of the time - aiming it gets me too distracted most of the time.

So no trouble getting to mom's heart, done that one too, and what happens ? The devil's room does not appear and the game ends. Great trolling once again. I'm pretty sure I had a good chance at finishing Sheol if I had been able to get there. Gotta love the game.
The Sheol dungeon appears after you've defeated Mom's Heart once. You'll have to do another run to get there. I would recommend getting the Brimstone power up (the devil laser) as it makes Sheol significantly easier. Also I found the game easier with Cain and his lucky foot as it makes every pill have positive effects and the general luck boost in finding good items in the gold rooms.

hoopy

Savant
Got Saints Row The Third for the 360. When I rushed through the missions on the PC (with framerates always below 20, hence the move to the 360 version which admittedly isn't an enormous improvement), I concluded it's inferior to SR2 in almost every way. This time I've been doing activities and challenges and exploration, and it's really disappointing how absolutely lifeless and uninteresting the city is. There are no secret areas (SR2 had 32 that the game kept track of) or interior locations, so there's no reason to poke around. I was still finding new things in SR2 after hundreds of hours, but there's fuckall to be discovered in Steelport. There's just absolutely nothing of interest anywhere, it's a complete wasteland.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've been thinking about giving this a try since the game appears to be using almost all the bestiary of the Underdark (aboleths!). How long is it and how is the gameplay?
It's not long, maybe 15h (took me less since I already knew the game). Get the CD version if you can, while the voices are hilariously bad the floppy version has some enemies missing and other things like that. Gameplay is very similar to Ravenloft, but not as good due to poorer level design and much less interesting setting.

Meh I found Menzoberranzan medicore at best. It was the Ravenloft series that shined mostly in that engine, still it had its fill of brain dead mazes.
Agreed, both Ravenlofts were better games. Especially Stone Prophet IMO.

Mass Effect 2
Shepard smile looks weird and i can't talk to party members outside Normandy anymore, its akward and also i take a rocket to the chest and still Shep is allright... in ME1 i died because of this many times.

You will have to demonstrate mastery of the Womb before you can reliably get to Sheol. In other words, beat Mom's heart 10 times, and every time after that you will get automatic access to Sheol. Coincidentally, the game will also get harder after 6 and then 9 Mom kills. Have fun. :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Best tip for Sheol level: Skip as much as you can. Use bombs to blast open doors (if you have a decent amount) and just don't bother fighting anything before you get to Satan.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Just got the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection. Mother of God, there is still hope for Japanese developers, and it is Team Ico.

spekkio

Arcane
Completed Metroid - Fusion.

8Ire7.jpg

Which means that I'm done with 2d games in Metroid series. Which probably means I'm done with Metroid series.

:smug:

Liked: oldschool platforman and boss battles.
Hated: story - "OMG go to Deck # NAO and find out what's going on there!" (herp derp another boss battle -> new ability). That was really fucking indispensable, Nintendo...
But compared to recent iterations this game is pure oldschool I guess...

:(

Now I have to finish FFT - Complete and Ogre Battle 64. After that, it's time for some PC gaeman (Unreal - Return to Na Pali).
Damn, gaming is in a damn good state ATM, at least looking on my 'to play' list.

:thumbsup:

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Crusader Kings 2, Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 4. I got sidetracked from my epic game of CK2 with MW a bit.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Metroid Fusion was a very good game, IMO. Agree about the boss battles.

Been playing some E.Y.E. lately. Not sure how to explain the game. Like a first person mash of Deus Ex, Syndicate, Blade Runner, The Matrix, Warhammer, etc.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Been playing more of Nocturne. Beat Dante, rampaged through the Assembly of Nihilo, went into the first level of the Labyrinth of Amala, fused up some badass demons (Matador is pretty awesome when he's on your side), beat the monk fiend, and went through the mirage prison. Fun stuff. The dungeons get more and more intricate, and have some fun gimmicks. Random encounters get more and more deadly, and bosses are pretty well done too.

Ghost Rider is currently giving me some issues. Might need to find something that nulls fire so I can survive his second phase. I guess Matador, Baphomet, and the Hindu goddess aren't going to cut it. Maybe I need an Orthrus...

Humppaleka

Cipher
Moved ahead in my project (go back in time in rpg history), now at Divine Divinity, ToEE. Both are awesome, nuff said, though I'll keep a break from ToEE. Next up Dungeon Siege, Freedom Force, Morrowind and Arcanum. Main objective would be to play pretty much every game I deem interesting in the rpg genre. Yes, hack & slash games are in. Copying some things from CRPGAddict, such as the minimum 4 hours in, but propably won't finish a game before moving to the next, as I'm one of those who can't keep themselves interested long enough in a single game, USUALLY. Some games I just play like a madman, and play nothing else. Some of the games I've already played obviously but 90% of them deserve a second (or 7th) playthrough.

Other than ToEE and DD, bought Desu Ex: Human Derpalution and have had a pretty damn good time with it. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom