Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Syberia. Pretty cool fantasy world they came up with that also remains grounded enough to appear functional.

There's a part where you make a retarded kid do a bunch of physical labor for you.

The first Dragon Quest. I wanted to see the beginnings of JRPG history.

Well, I saw it, and it's still fucking going. And going. And going.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Beyond Divinity. Surprisingly good start, or maybe it's the amount of Torchlight I played previously.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally have a Windows 7 64bit OS, now I can finally play Pillars of Eternity and see why we have so many reviews for it... :M

stray

Learned
Had a false start with MG Ground Zeroes, but I think I might actually play Peace Walker first... Or maybe start with Snake Eater. I have both, but never played.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing Stasis. The atmosphere is amazing, puzzles are decent (just on my level :P ), the deaths are grusome and the story is intriquing. Great job Pyke !

Humppaleka

Cipher
Beyond Divinity, Act 2. I honestly don't know why this game gets flak. The writing is mostly funny in a cheesy way, the graphics are nice (I like "crappy" 3D), the skill system and combat is way better than DD (still not that good). Of course, it lacks the beautiful coherence of the world that DD had: the feeling that there is actually a war going on and people were in the middle of a major conflict with your actions making a difference. Also exploration is much more linear but you can't get everything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Discover bandit camp, try to lure one guy out.

A forest troll suddenly waltzes by to our left, and sees our mage.

Good times... :lol:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Took a break from JA2. I was in the mood for some hack&slash, so I started Divine Divinity, which I bought on the Codex' recommendation almost two years ago (progressing slowly but surely through the video game backlog....). I enjoying it very much so far and you can tell it's a very polished labor of love. I just finished the infamous catacombs, so I'm looking forward to increased enemy diversity.

Funny enough, it was DU's post that prompted me to start Divine Divinity, since I realized I was pretty much in the same boat.

Obviousplant

Educated
I tried a neat little indie CRPG called AntharioN today http://store.steampowered.com/app/293160/
It has full party creation and turn based combat. I didnt have time to play it very far, but it seemed like very decent. It reminded me of Knights of the Chalice, though I dont know if the combat is anywhere near as good as I only had 1 spell on each characterat the start of the game. One cool detail is that you had to equip a staff in order to cast spells, but you could switch weapons by pressing X. Since there is the option to make a custom class, I made a warrior mage hybrid that could cast spells when there arent any enemies at melee range.

zlocish

Educated
Europa Universalis IV with various mods. It's the first really polished and complete EU, but dlcs are really necessary.
Also Dota 2 and Shogun 2.

Tripicus

Augur
Finishing up Legend of Grimrock and looking forward to the second title. Hopefully it's better at encouraging diversity in the skills.

Dusted off the joystick and started playing Independence War. Debating on just skipping to the second one. I also have Descent Freescape as an option to play too.

Superuser

Educated
Europa Universalis IV with various mods. It's the first really polished and complete EU, but dlcs are really necessary.
What mods are you using? I've played some 210 hours of vanilla myself. Also has some 200 hours in Europa Universalis III back in the day though that was DRM-free so I didn't track it.

Anything good for the seasoned EU player? Note, I don't like the "historical accuracy" (a bullshit term) stuff so much. EU has always been the pretzel & chips in Paradox's grand strategy franchises, which squarely puts gameplay over realistic abstractions. I want more of that, in the form of deep and interconnected gameplay systems. Any suggestions?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What mods are you using? I've played some 210 hours of vanilla myself. Also has some 200 hours in Europa Universalis III back in the day though that was DRM-free so I didn't track it.

Anything good for the seasoned EU player? Note, I don't like the "historical accuracy" (a bullshit term) stuff so much. EU has always been the pretzel & chips in Paradox's grand strategy franchises, which squarely puts gameplay over realistic abstractions. I want more of that, in the form of deep and interconnected gameplay systems. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind the realtime (you can and probably should spam pause a lot) AI Wars is a pretty deep rabbit hole. Especially with all the expansions these days, turn on all that shit and it's just impossible to wrap your head around and decide on an 'optimal' way to play like one tends to do with shallow games. It's definitely all combat though, not empire management, beyond deciding which upgrades and buildings and units to spend on and where to conquer, etc.

Could check out Eador (the first one, not the buggy sequel) as well. Again, not so much empire management/grand strategy as just a non stop combat slog, more along the lines of Master of Magic.

I used to be into grand strategy more when I was younger, playing stuff like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or the Ghengis Khan games, but I find all the micromanagement of food and gold being shuffled about to supply armies too tedious these days.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm with Siralim. It's like Pokemon and Disgaea had a grindy son. Roguelike procedurally generated dungeons, 6 monster party, 300+ monsters with one unique skill each, player levels and vancian spells, monster capture, monster breeding, equipment leveling, equipment socketing, base building and another ten more grinding-based subsystems. No IAPs, full game purchase once, all content.

If the core combat had a little bit more meat to it it'd be perfect, but it's far from bad as it is.

And it syncs saves between phone and PC without needing any IAP.

I may open a thread about it, maybe someone in the codex is interested.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Settlers 4 demo - Great game, but not enough for a commi simulation. It should at least offer the requirement that every settler needs to eat regularly. Anno xxxx might be better for that, but isn't so cute.

Alien Shooter 2 : Reloaded - Brainlessly annihilate thousands of aliens. Very satisfying, not even Serious Sam feels that good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom