Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline POLL about POE reviews links on the curator page!

Should darth roxor and VD reviews be linked on POE curator main page ?

• Yes, even the mixed reviews should be linked, innocent steam buyers should be enlightened.

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • No its fine like this ,with only the prime junta review linked.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Never played POE not interested by it (kingcomrade)

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Black

Arcane
Delete Codex curator.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a completely retarded argument that I have called you out on repeatedly, both in private and in public. First, "we already have some shit reviews so posting more shit reviews is not a problem because precedence" has no place outside of a courtroom, and certainly not when picking what should be considered quality content.

It's a good thing we didn't post more shit reviews (except, you know, the one that was shitty from the other direction :smug: )

I'm calling out people for their hypocrisy. Actually, I'm not even doing that. I'm mostly laughing at them for their short memories and incorrect perception of what the Codex has historically done.

Second, your scale of positive-to-negative is even more retarded and binary than mainstream reviewers'. What, so a review is negative if it scores 1-99 and positive if it gives only a 100 and doesn't contain any criticism, or anything that might dissuade anyone from purchasing it? Really?

No, I said "negative", in quotes, not actually negative. PJ's review is obviously positive, Roxor's is obviously negative, and VD's is uh, schizophrenic. Again, I'm just mocking people for their inability to examine the substances of the reviews and you're taking my words way too literally.

I spent half of my MMX review criticizing what I considered flaws in the game, but it's still a positive review, as it should be since I like the game. I said it back then, if I like the game despite the flaws I'm not going to quietly delete all the text where I talk about what I like in it and why I think people who like these things should buy it and play it. And a good negative review will still have praise for things that the reviewer considers well done even if he thinks the game is shit - and guess what, Roxor's review did have several points where he praised this or that design that he liked, like any "brutally honest" review would. And, just like most of the detractors of my MMX review kept talking about my "love letter" while ignoring the brutal beating I gave the game over the some of the combat and exploration design decisions, you and other POE fanboys never acknowledged the positive things Roxor talks about in his review (things that I have pointed out in the past) and instead focus entirely on the negatives. And let's not go into the ad hominems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Good for you and good for him.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Are we going to keep discussing this same issue seven times, or until we finally have seven POE reviews?
Till the page is changed and reviews correctly linked, or that everyone die of old age.
You know i am right , some people even turn on POE on steam then go watch tv ,to show 220 hours played to justify the good reviews( or is the other way around) but dont enjoy it the slightest.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Are we going to keep discussing this same issue seven times, or until we finally have seven POE reviews?
That's a good idea, we can link a different review for each day of the week. Manually linked and unlinked daily by Infinitron, of course, under threat of shock collar.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know i am right , some people even turn on POE on steam then go watch tv ,to show 220 hours played to justify the good reviews( or is the other way around) but dont enjoy it the slightest.

giphy.gif

Ninjerk

Arcane
The reviews should be cut into paragraphs and spliced back together at random.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It won't be over until I post my PoE review. But that won't happen until I play PoE. But first I'd have to finish Wasteland 2, which I haven't touched since it asked me to download some massive update a while ago, and really I'd have to finish Witcher 2 first which is on a computer I haven't actually turned on in over a year or two since I downloaded it. But all of that will come after I compete the original Divine Divinity, which I want to do before playing the others and which I was doing, until I lost my save game and had to start again.

So it might take a while.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It won't be over until I post my PoE review. But that won't happen until I play PoE. But first I'd have to finish Wasteland 2, which I haven't touched since it asked me to download some massive update a while ago, and really I'd have to finish Witcher 2 first which is on a computer I haven't actually turned on in over a year or two since I downloaded it. But all of that will come after I compete the original Divine Divinity, which I want to do before playing the others and which I was doing, until I lost my save game and had to start again.

So it might take a while.

You should probably play Original Sin as well. Preferably before Witcher 2, it's the better game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not sure why it all matter anyways. Once Roguey writes zer review, that will trump everything. So, no matter which review is up there now, it's coming down in due course, and Roguey's is going up. In the fullness of time.

I'm a contrarian. Since everybody's making a PoE review...

The only thing Josh owned was his résumé; I don't see how anyone can respect his ability as a designer anymore, to be honest.

Nathaniel Chapman got a job at Blizzard (which is up there with Valve as far as game industry dream jobs go, as long as you don't mind being a cog in someone else's machine) for his lead design work on Dungeon Siege III, a game received much less well than PoE.

Well since you want to push that button again ,i am not obsessed about the review , its about the things surrounding it, when codex turned corporate brown nosed.

Negro, please. This will never happen. Grunker's last review had something about the developers having brains filled with rotten baby shit, or something similarly poignant. Why would the shills try to change the nature of a codex when they can just migrate to one of several other sites that are willing to play nice?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why would the shills try to change the nature of a codex when they can just migrate to one of several other sites that are willing to play nice?
Because they aren't in control of those sites? Climbing to the top in communities as established as the codex isn't generally so easy.

So the plan is to climb to the top of a ragtag group of freedom fighters, turn them into a respectable army and lead them as El Generalissimo under the glorious banner of a new, reformed nation? I think it's more likely that they just liked the game.

If you want hookers and blow from devs/publishers, you don't associate yourself with the guys known for saying that hookers and blow are for faggots.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So the plan is to climb to the top of a ragtag group of freedom fighters, turn them into a respectable army and lead them as El Generalissimo under the glorious banner of a new, reformed nation? I think it's more likely that they just liked the game.
I think it's more likely that they just enjoy being in a position of power where they can make decisions that represent a whole community without consulting nobody outside their secret forums.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The most amusing part of this whole conflict is that neither side really understands why it started and more importantly why it keeps raging. The issue isn't the quality of PoE or even PoE at its core, its that the RPG genre is dead and buried. For years, the glue that held this forum together and to be honest a large part of all communities that had any significant population of old school gaming was the hate against the AAA industry that muscled in on or made extinct beloved franchises or creators. The fallout Van Buren/ Fallout 3 situation is the poster child for this problem. The logic was that all these major studios were keeping the old guys that gave us those amazing games down and if they only had the money and freedom from publishers they could achieve even greater things than before. And I get this reasoning, it is an easy to love underdog narrative for the people who gave you arguably your favorite games.

But kickstarter came along and it showed us that death came a along time ago, we just found out where the body is. The reason many people feel in love with games starting from pools of radiance and ending with VTM:B is that they were new in many ways, they had vision and depth no matter how flawed they were (being younger also helped). The kickstarter projects ranged from okay to bad but the base message was "Just like the old games!" but not in spirit but rather execution, that feeling just isn't there anymore because it just can't be after more than a decade. What most old school gamers are after even though they don't always articulate it well is the experience of those days, not the games per say. The problem here isn't quality; felipepepe in his impressions, myself in my video critique, roxor in his controversial review etc. most people don't says that Pillars is a bad game but rather that is a boring one. Polish is the selling point of AAA gaming and seeing Obsidian adopt this stance struck a chord in many people, some acted more aggressively than others. I am aware that some people will counter by saying that these games need to be safe bets so the next iterations could be amazing. First off, you are just shifting the goal posts from "If only publishers didn't do x and y" and second, no matter how safe the bet some creativity should have leaked out...which it didn't. There are no visionaries left in this genre, who can you say would like to give money to see them make a crazy new game? I guess you could say that Swen Vincke somewhat falls under this category but he address a very narrow scope, the thinking man's rpg visionary just isn't there. And given wasteland 2, a healthy dose of skepticism isn't unexpected towards Torment.

(I am aware of AoD and Underrail coming out very soon and while they are looking like amazing games I don't think they will break the mold of their inspirations).

TL DR

The RPG genre is dead and kickstarter proved it, PoE is the just the poster child hence the rage. There are not visionaries left in RPGs.

Lhynn

Arcane
What we really need is a review of all the PoE reviews, and thats where the PoE curator should link.

(Alternatively the codex curator should stop recommending a game that is clearly shit)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The most amusing part of this whole conflict is that neither side really understands why it started and more importantly why it keeps raging.
No, we know p. damn well where it started and why it keeps going on. It started with a whole lot of difficulties being created by people on the staff to stop Roxor's review from being published due to its mostly negative content even though it was ready many weeks before any other. And it kept raging because the butthurt of people on the staff with the fact DU intervened and published it first after all the attempts to sabotage it. So the hunt continued for the "official" review, each with their hilarious share of issues such as leaked content, reviewers reconsidering their position regarding PoE, most positive review being a shit review, etc.

Curator is p. much the final battle so I wouldn't count on it changing unless the owner of the website intervenes again.

Mortmal

Arcane
Negro, please. This will never happen. Grunker's last review had something about the developers having brains filled with rotten baby shit, or something similarly poignant. Why would the shills try to change the nature of a codex when they can just migrate to one of several other sites that are willing to play nice?

Thats what is happening, the frog dont jump out of the water when you slowly heat it. Why would they change the nature of a codex ? Game keys , friendly relationships with devs , npc characters with their name in rpgs, a big ego boost you cant have by just merging threads and creating subforums. Why not some job opportunity, as PR stuff or anything not requiring much skills. Yes i know community manager dont pay well but between that and unemployment who wont take the job.

The issue isn't the quality of PoE or even PoE at its core, its that the RPG genre is dead and buried. There are not visionaries left in RPGs.
I disagree, i was completely satisfied with divinity original sin, and they are trying new ideas in DOS 2 , they even sounds a bit overambitious , borderline molyneux, after reading latest codex previews. I think the guys at larian qualify as visionaries.I would also back any Harebrained Schemes or whalenought studio kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
No, we know p. damn well where it started and why it keeps going on. It started with a whole lot of difficulties being created by people on the staff to stop Roxor's review from being published due to its mostly negative content even though it was ready many weeks before any other. And it kept raging because the butthurt of people on the staff with the fact DU intervened and published it first after all the attempts to sabotage it. So the hunt continued for the "official" review, each with their hilarious share of issues such as leaked content, reviewers reconsidering their position regarding PoE, most positive review being a shit review, etc.

Curator is p. much the final battle so I wouldn't count on it changing unless the owner of the website intervenes again.

Maybe I am wrong since I don't really care/follow drama but didn't that die when VD showed Roxor the convo's and stuff? There was even a funny pic of everybody stabbing Infinitron floating around at some point.

Mortmal I do mention Swen Vincke towards the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom