Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sbb

Learned
Finished Shadowrun Returns last night as an SMG-toting decker, quite nice atmosphere, but man, what a railroaded experience. It reminded me a lot of the Witcher in that it constantly felt like it was in tutorial mode. Unlike the Witcher, though, you couldn't even move around town. Amusingly, they also felt the need to include a quest compass, even though runs were restricted to corridor-shootan crap. All in all, I sure missed the freedom of the Sega Genesis game where you could stroll around the districts as you pleased, not to mention making some sweet corporate runs on the side.

Still, will probably try Dragonfall now since it's supposed to be better than the OC.
Wait for the standalone version. If you already have Dragonfall it will be free.
What's the advantage of using the standalone version over the DLC version if you already have the DLC?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
56 hours in Divinity: OS, and I have nearly wrapped up Silverglen. Damn this is a fine cRPG. The combat system is one of the best turn based combat ever. But it won't be a GOTY RPG for me, because:
- controlling 2 heroes in singleplayer sucks because of the stupid conversation system
- music is very nice in itself, but on several occasion, the music didn't fit to the atmosphere of the location. It seems like the numbers are played in random.
- inventory management is time consuming with all the shit you can pick up
- crafting is a clusterfuck because of the bad inventory management

But these are just minor complaints, because even with these things, the game is very good. Hats off to Larian.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One of the best persona in the world of Stalker modding - david.m.e. - released modpack recently for Call of Pripyat called Merge Mod 2014. More stuff, gear, artifacts, different feeling of shooting (kick, sound, hits) no new maps. For some reason it's really enjoyable so far. Seems like good replacement for Sigerious Mod +mutations, my favourite mod serie.

It's strange that I even tried it because I feel somewhat fed up with Stalker series. That's how my experience with this series work - one year of intensive playing, more than one year of pause. And I feel that pause is coming...

There is also new patch for Stalker: Lost Alpha, problem is - patches are always big and require New Game everytime you use them. And Lost Alpha is not small, nope.

Eddas

Learned
Finished Shadowrun Returns last night as an SMG-toting decker, quite nice atmosphere, but man, what a railroaded experience. It reminded me a lot of the Witcher in that it constantly felt like it was in tutorial mode. Unlike the Witcher, though, you couldn't even move around town. Amusingly, they also felt the need to include a quest compass, even though runs were restricted to corridor-shootan crap. All in all, I sure missed the freedom of the Sega Genesis game where you could stroll around the districts as you pleased, not to mention making some sweet corporate runs on the side.

Still, will probably try Dragonfall now since it's supposed to be better than the OC.
Wait for the standalone version. If you already have Dragonfall it will be free.
What's the advantage of using the standalone version over the DLC version if you already have the DLC?

"The Shadowrun team has been hard at work taking the existing Dragonfall campaign and making it even better - adding new features, missions, art, and more."

I would wait, it's out in september.

Deleted member 11480

Rayman Legends. Perhaps the best platformer in the last 15 years. So good, so much fun, so much content, Ubi somehow just did it. Their Rayman side really does an excellent job as always.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rayman Legends. Perhaps the best platformer in the last 15 years. So good, so much fun, so much content, Ubi somehow just did it. Their Rayman side really does an excellent job as always.
You need to play it in 4 player co-op. You'll be screaming and laughing through the entire thing.

Epsilon

Cipher
Just finished Syndicate (the shooter) which I picked up for around three dollars awhile back. If you stop playing right at the point where you and Lily Drawl escape Cayman Global's city-ship, then it's not a complete hackjob. You're a merciless Agent who kills, extracts assets and generally fucks up any organization that gets in your Syndicate's way. The Senior Agent is entertaining in that Zaeed type of way and the game has respectable world building going on. Each Syndicate has their own way of enhancing Agents, and in the larger picture go about throwing their weight around. Eurocorp floods your markets with their goods, Cayman Global's cityships are basically a mix of Arsenal Gear and the largest cruise liners around, etc.

Then you hit that last two hours or so, and everything goes to shit. Mainly finished it for whatever lore I could dig up between fights.

Fuck fake choices. Let me shoot the bitch and go back to Running missions.

sbb

Learned
I actually really enjoyed the Syndicate FPS =/// There were some really solid firefights, I thought. I'd agree that the - roughly - last third was the weakest portion, though. The first handful of missions were really entertaining.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I beat Divinity 2 a while ago and overall I like it though there's 2 fights that if I ever play through it again I'm cheating through without question. Protecting Zandalor and the fight to get the potion of wisdom.

Now I'm moving on to playing Megaman Battle Network since they released it on the Wii U's VC yesterday.

sbb

Learned
Well I beat Divinity 2 a while ago and overall I like it though there's 2 fights that if I ever play through it again I'm cheating through without question. Protecting Zandalor and the fight to get the potion of wisdom.

Now I'm moving on to playing Megaman Battle Network since they released it on the Wii U's VC yesterday.
I have some Battle Network game for the Gameboy, also has "White" somewhere in the title... wtf is this thing?

80Maxwell08

Arcane

I have some Battle Network game for the Gameboy, also has "White" somewhere in the title... wtf is this thing?
Holy crap you have (arguably) the best one in the series.

So the Battle Network games are a spinoff of action RPGs (well sort of RPGs) focused on combat and dungeons. They all have ridiculous stories but some of the games have pretty good writing. 1 is more of a rough start that got fixed in the sequels, 2 is better and 3 is tied for 6 as the best. 4 is not only the worst game in the BN series but possibly the entire Megaman franchise to the point where it actually killed it financially. 5 redeems 4 in many ways and is my personal favorite as I write this and 6 ends things about as good as it can.

Also if you have the box and manual for white but don't want it I would like to buy it from you.

sbb

Learned

So the Battle Network games are a spinoff of action RPGs (well sort of RPGs) focused on combat and dungeons. They all have ridiculous stories but some of the games have pretty good writing. 1 is more of a rough start that got fixed in the sequels, 2 is better and 3 is tied for 6 as the best. 4 is not only the worst game in the BN series but possibly the entire Megaman franchise to the point where it actually killed it financially. 5 redeems 4 in many ways and is my personal favorite as I write this and 6 ends things about as good as it can.

Also if you have the box and manual for white but don't want it I would like to buy it from you.
Sorry man, it's just the cartridge. It's from one of those glass cases they use as a check-out counter at GameStop, before they started putting DS games there instead. How contained are the stories in each game? Do I need to play 1 and 2?

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Sorry man, it's just the cartridge. It's from one of those glass cases they use as a check-out counter at GameStop, before they started putting DS games there instead. How contained are the stories in each game? Do I need to play 1 and 2?
They are kinda contained but also kinda not. I doubt you would have any problems if you just started it up but there's lets plays for the first 2 games on lparchive if you are interested.
http://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-Battle-Network/
http://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-Battle-Network-2/

Also no worries I just saw how cheap they are on amazon so it's no real loss.

The "White" on the cover refers to the game's version...to cash in on the Pokemon craze, MMBN 3,4,5 and 6 have two "versions" each, with some bosses and attacks being exclusive to one version, to force you to trade with friends if you want to complete 100% of the game. Nothing important to most people, as 95% of the game is the same in both versions (in 5 the differences are more pronounced...there's a DS port that contains both versions on the same cart, if you can find it cheap it's a good deal). As for the storylines, well, it's Megaman. He beats Dr. Wily and his robots. Then he does it again.

I rank the games almost the same as Maxwell. 1 is okay but a bit barebones compared to the rest, 2 and 3 are great, 4 is a moment of temporary insanity from Capcom, 5 and 6 are good.

-

Played some hours of couch co-op with BattleBlock Theater with a bro. Dayum, it's gud. I dunno how entertaining this is on solo or over the internet but as if you have someone that can come over and play it's a solid 10/10. The special stages are timed and require precise timing and teamwork, but most of the game can be completed just goofing around since you have infinite lives.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I was after some mindless clicking and tried a diablo II clone. Titan Quest, jesus, the guys who made this game give the "asset recycling" expression another meaning. I stopped at act 3 and I was still fighting enemies from fucking act one. It was ratmen, wolfmen, goat men, dune raiders, demonic goblins and all kinds of uninspired monsters and the ones that are "different" have absolutely the same behavior from prvious versions. The first bosses are absolutely pathetic and some are just oversized versions of normal enemies, they do no damage and have a massive HP bar making the fights against them really boring.

I had forgotten how the idea of playing first on piss easy mode for retarded people then repeat the same content two times to start getting some challenge was a completely retarded idea. Imagine a game with a mythology based theme with the Gods not talking with you or you don't meeting any unique mythological creature or hero and not a single interesting fight. There isn't a single interesting thing to do on this game. There are a ton of ability trees but all skills are underwhelming as fuck, you use some skill called volcanic orb and expect some pretty lights and animations just to see and underwhelming fire projectile that you only see it had done something on the enemies because their life bars was lower afterwards.

What a fucking waste of a really good premise. Anyone that played Grim Dawn, did they learned anything from this game and fixed the boring monsters, boring loot, boring skills problem? Tell me it's different from this thing. It is a pity I wasted five dollars on this thing.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37225#post37225

One of the most hilarious (or saddest) cases of executive meddling I've ever read about. THQ seems to have thought they were making a Sunday school cartoon.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My thoughts on: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

Finished for the first time (Hardest Difficulty), choose "Xana" + "Seal Kha-Beleth" Ending.
Replayed (from save) to see the differences with choosing "Leanna".
Uninstalled.

Played a Fighter/Assassin build, plus leveled up Archer in the last levels.

Entertaining Action/Dungeon Crawl with "DX-Style RPG Elements".
Wish the had done branching story better:
More choices.
Going to different levels.
Markedly different endings.

Possibly implement a dialog system.
Maybe add hubs.

Sigh...

Heard a lot of praise for the melee combat, but it did not live up to it IMO.
Its pretty fun, but rather basic.
I had much more fun with melee in Dark Souls, Severance BoD, and Warband.
I'll admit it's a novelty to have it in first person.

What does redeem it is the physics, this game does them right.
Kick People over & off things.
Kicking, throwing stuff at people.
Setting people on fire.
Setting the ground of fire.
Setting objects on fire and throwing them at enemies .
Freezing the ground to make enemies slip.
(I hear you can also do cool things with lighting, like stunning enemies standing in water.)

It comes alive when your doing the above.
The lackluster melee suddenly gains a visceral quality.
Dodging and blocking a pack of enemies while running around looking for environmental stuff you can use against them.

The Stealth is "decent".
You can sneak up on enemies with daggers and "Neck Stab to Insta-Kill", or sometimes kick them off ledges.
You get a "light gem" style visibility indicator, and crouch or "stealth walk" to stay unseen.

The enemies are rather stupid don't seem to have states of alertness.

Worse is that the game forces you into fights.
Some are "puzzle bosses" who can be dealt with using environmental traps which isn't to bad, but at other times it would probably be a major pain.
It was okay since I dual-classed with fighter, but for someone playing a Pure build...

Can't comment how Mages play since I didn't develop my character to use magic.
Might replay it some time in the future to see...

I thought Dark Messiah was a surprisingly good game.
My main beefs with it was the cliched characters and atrocious voice acting, and the Charm spell being too powerful.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Started Anachronox. I'm still right at the beginning, but there's a glitch in the game that makes the battle animations sssllooooooooooowww. Tried to fix the problem for two hours, scouring net for clues, nothing helped. Luckily a fan patch included a speed-up button which makes the animations way faster when its pressed, so I guess I'm gonna have to live with that. Game seems fun enough, I hope I don't run into too many glitches on the way (yeah, right).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Playing Gateway to the Savage Frontier. This and the game after it are the only 2 Gold Box Games I've never played. Having fun so far, and since this doesn't have any music, I queued up a bunch of 80's and 90's film scores (like Dark Crystal, Legend etc...). It's like I took a time machine back to the early 90's. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom