Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Inventory System Demo

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The biggest problem with list inventories is that you tend to accumulate a lot of "crud" items in them that can't be easily shunted off to the bottom of the grid, or to another tab of the grid, which makes getting to the useful stuff more and more of a pain. This happens even if you have the ability to sort by type, because even within each type there are still plenty of crud items. List inventories could be improved if there was a way to mark certain items (and all further instances of said item) as useless so they don't show up with the good stuff ever.
Like... heh... console Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The biggest problem with list inventories is that you tend to accumulate a lot of "crud" items in them that can't be easily shunted off to the bottom of the grid, or to another tab of the grid, which makes getting to the useful stuff more and more of a pain. This happens even if you have the ability to sort by type, because even within each type there are still plenty of crud items. List inventories could be improved if there was a way to mark certain items (and all further instances of said item) as useless so they don't show up with the good stuff ever.
Like... heh... console Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2?

Uh? I'm not talking about useless items categorized by the game designers as "junk".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Uh? I'm not talking about useless items categorized by the game designers as "junk".
In (console) DA:O and DA2 you can mark items as junk and they'll go into the junk folder.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, that's nice. Why doesn't the PC version have that? Also, does it affect all further instances of said items?
It was something added to console DA:O while they were porting it; they couldn't add it to PC DA:O since it had already been feature-locked. All versions of DA2 have it. And I don't believe so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that's nice. Why doesn't the PC version have that? Also, does it affect all further instances of said items?
It was something added to console DA:O while they were porting it; they couldn't add it to PC DA:O since it had already been feature-locked. All versions of DA2 have it. And I don't believe so.

Ah, I didn't even notice that in DA2. Anyway without affecting all instances it's not that useful

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Crud item sorting usually isn't that efficient though. In most games some stuff you need gets shifted to the bottom and some stuff you don't gets sorted to the top. Meanwhile, grid inventories display everything in your characters pack.

UnknownBro

Savant
5 pages of codex expertise > 3 months of InXile design?

Come on InXile, you can do better than that!

:troll:

Aren't the note cards temporary graphics? They don't seem to fit with the rest of the screen. I thought these were placeholders that come with the engine or something like that.

i don't care, love it, want to play, what's your problem with inventories people, it's just an inventory.

You'll be accessing that screen constantly, it helps if it's not tedious to navigate through it.

Stylistically, not very good. Functionality seems ok. But I absolutelly hate the Dragon Age style enormous weapons. This fucking sniper rifle looks at least 2,5 meters long (or Lil' Neddy is indeed extremely little). Even the longest antitanks weren't that long.

The weapons seem a little huge on the characters in the inventory screen...

The rifle?

[...]But seriously, 50 cals are fucking huge.

sniper_iraq_50cal_800.jpg
specwarnetcom50pic.jpg

If anything, depictions in popular culture have tended to show sniper rifles as smaller than they typically are.

Zeronet

Learned
All the weapons seem a bit out of proportion. I'm assuming it's due to the isometric viewpoint of the game which means they exaggerate the proportions of stuff so it's easier to see from the iso perspective.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All the weapons seem a bit out of proportion. I'm assuming it's due to the isometric viewpoint of the game which means they exaggerate the proportions of stuff so it's easier to see from the iso perspective.
That's the logical explanation that makes sense, you should be saying it's ugly ANIME/WOW shit made by retarded designers that love huge shoulderpads, to catter the dudebro frat boy audience; only ARMA does weapon models right.

dunno lah

Arcane
Oh, I didn't realize that it applied to his latest edition as well. I was expecting a confirmed acknowledgement for that too.

kaizoku

Arcane

RPGCodex, once again on the front-line of good game design...

IMO this one does a worse job in terms of usability (regarding the inventory list and PC list positioning), than
2pobclh.jpg

The reason being that with the character below the inventory list, you get the shortest distance for swapping items across characters. (and don't forget the current weight / max weight below the PCs name)

Also you don't need to freaking toggle button for character/item.
If you're browsing items (5 second timeout for using the keyboard arrow keys) or if the mouse is at the item list region, it shows the item.
If you equip an item or the mouse is at the paperdoll section it shows your character (for LARPing purposes).

IMO the item/character window should be smaller, so that the description is bigger and you get more info, both from the item selected and the character.
Instead of the "Alfonso is a mexican ... " text, it should be shown what his current stats are (hp, armor, damage, range, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom