Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am considering making a stealthy "Arsenal" character with crossbows, throwing weapons and traps. Ideally, I'll eschew guns entirely. I am particularly curious about the feasibility of crossbows in the long run.
I did a similar build not long a go and it went okay.
Word is that crossbows may be a little underpowered but are still valid and fun.

Don't forget to get the opportunist feat.

Nael

Arcane
I am considering making a stealthy "Arsenal" character with crossbows, throwing weapons and traps. Ideally, I'll eschew guns entirely. I am particularly curious about the feasibility of crossbows in the long run.

My only "playthrough" I was a stealthy electrician that specialized in crossbows and they took a little while to come into their own but can be very versatile. I did have to supplement some with a bit of melee for more difficult encounters where I couldn't clean up fights before stuff got up in my grill. I really wish crossbows were "silent-ish" though so there was a better reason to take them. That was what I was hoping for anyway when I started using them for that character to begin with. The fact that when I shot at enemies from the edge of visual range and they instantly knew where I was was disappointing for a weapon like the crossbow. It is a weapon that should for all intents and purposes be difficult to determine an attack vector from as long as you start off the attack hidden and from a sufficient distance. Eh Styg ? :D

Loriac

Arcane
If you're going crossbows, its best to invest in crafting skills for the various special bolts. Those skills would come in handy for traps too, so its quite synergistic. I think throwing is a skill where you don't need to invest 'fully', especially if you're going the crossbow route so that your utility slots are taken up by special bolts in preference to throwing knives. All you need is sufficient skill to toss a grenade roughly where you want it to land, so 60-80 skill should be more than sufficient. You also don't need to raise dex too much, either 6 for grenadier or 7 for three-pointer if you really want to, but I'm not sure I'd bother on a crossbow build. However, you may need to up dex for your traps, I forget offhand what things like trap expert and so on require.

I'd definitely think about investing in at least one or two psi skills on a crossbow build - probably psychokinesis, and maybe thought control too (metathermics isn't so useful when you take throwing as well). A will of 7 (10 if you want locus of control) is good if you want the force user feat, otherwise a will of 4 is sufficient. Premeditation doesn't have minimum will requirements and is a very nice feat for any character using any psi whatsoever.

Crossbows suffer vs. high armor targets (e.g. robot types) and its useful to have access to EMP traps / grenades as well as shock bolts and electrokinesis for those fights.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone tried doing any save editing yet? I just realise I took the perk that gives you extra movement each time you kill someone with a ranged or melee weapon, instead of sprint on my psionics build. Not too big a deal, but effectively useless.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Styg Any chance of giving steam users a non DRM version of the game? i cant play mine at work because i cant install steam... :argh:

So you cant play your copy of Underrail at work, eh?
What kind of company let's you play video games during office hours, anyway...and, more importantly, are they any openings at the moment??

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Styg Any chance of giving steam users a non DRM version of the game? i cant play mine at work because i cant install steam... :argh:

What kind of company let's you play video games during office hours, anyway...and, more importantly, are they any opening at the moment??

I work with engineering projects, so as long as i keep up with deadlines and dont fuck up, then its all good. I bet i could throw a cocaine orgy every friday and no one would care.

Loriac

Arcane

What kind of company let's you play video games during office hours, anyway...and, more importantly, are they any opening at the moment??

I work with engineering projects, so as long as i keep up with deadlines and dont fuck up, then its all good. I bet i could throw a cocaine orgy every friday and no one would care.

enhanced-buzz-16901-1383768344-32.jpg

I always wondered how this type of thing happens

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

:what:
That pic is fake, right?
Right?!

Kem0sabe

Arcane

:what:
That pic is fake, right?
Right?!

Of course its fake.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Some guy takes a photo. Some other guy uses magic wand in photoshop to select part of the bridge and move it. Then he uploads it ot the internet for lulz.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I want to give that to Durance.
Though by endgame id still made him a little Godhammer of his own, a cute keepsake to keep him warm and radioactive at night.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I was having a lot of fun - combat, exploration, character system all awesome.

But now stuck due to bugs - cannot use elevator to Commons and Cantina - "Area transition failed". So cannot finish story quest. Seems to be this floor only.

Also "Find Blaine" quest:
Found the door, rang correctly - it says "Door unlocked". When i click to open it, it says Locked (80 Electronics skill)
So i hope it gets fixed...

epeli

Arcane

But now stuck due to bugs - cannot use elevator to Commons and Cantina - "Area transition failed". So cannot finish story quest. Seems to be this floor only.

Found the door, rang correctly - it says "Door unlocked". When i click to open it, it says Locked (80 Electronics skill)

Does the transition failure persist after restarting Underrail? If it does, try this:
1) save your game in a new slot (just in case)
2) go to your Documents\My Games\Underrail and find the save
3) delete all files starting with StationAlpha-Level3 (there should be 3 of them in the lmaps folder)

You can try also try the same trick to fix the Blaine thing by deleting 3 LUP-A1 files, just make sure your save is not in the area where Blaine is.

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

Does the transition failure persist after restarting Underrail? If it does, try this:
3) delete all files starting with StationAlpha-Level3 (there should be 3 of them in the lmaps folder)

You can try also try the same trick to fix the Blaine thing by deleting 3 LUP-A1 files, just make sure your save is not in the area where Blaine is.
That worked. But it seems to start happening for other maps. Blaine's door still bugged though. Oh well.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey, Styg . Sort of confused. I started a new game well after the latest update on Steam and I've got this going on:

epeli

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla That note is for an incomplete sidequest. Probably. You get it from Percival in Core City and you can meet him again at the Institute later on, but he doesn't have anything to say yet.

You'll get into the Institute when the main storyline events take you there.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, ok. I just thought after speaking with him and going to University station the option to get there would be available.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

That worked. But it seems to start happening for other maps. Blaine's door still bugged though. Oh well.

Can you upload the save so I can take a look?

Hey, Styg . Sort of confused. I started a new game well after the latest update on Steam and I've got this going on:

It's an old quest that shouldn't be activated anymore. Fixed for the future.

Blackmill

Scholar
How varied are the environments in Underrail? I haven't had time to play the demo, but from the images and videos I've seen, most areas (with three or four exceptions) seem similar in design and atmosphere. As much as I like everything I've read and seen I would become bored with a relatively constant design or tone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom