Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, that might turn out differently than you guys think.

Extra warning that you shouldn't look the comic up if you don't want to get spoiled on plotpoints as its a prequel.

aris

Arcane
  1. Many codexers are incredibly afraid of being criticized for their tastes.
  2. It's a way to cover their ass, since "it not being a game" seems to be the general codex consensus, appointed by the KKK-committee.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I thought episode 1 was marred by ugly, static environments, hated the incredibly limited camera and character "controls", and was really turned off by the incessant amount of swearing about pussyfucking cunt-whores in the first ten minutes of the game. I've had four play sessions now, and I've only made it about 70 minutes into the game. It's just unbearable. If the new Tex Murphy were released with this control scheme, people would rightfully rip it to pieces.

Bill Willingham is a typical bro-writer who thinks a character's coolness is measured by his or her ability to swear, and Telltale didn't have the guts to disagree with him. Or maybe they think zombies and whore-rape are the only way to bring adventure games into the mainstream.

Last edited:

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
I thought episode 1 was marred by ugly, static environments, hated the incredibly limited camera and character "controls", and was really turned off by the incessant amount of swearing about pussyfucking cunt-whores in the first ten minutes of the game. I've had four play sessions now, and I've only made it about 70 minutes into the game. It's just unbearable. If the new Tex Murphy were released with this control scheme, people would rightfully rip it to pieces.

Bill Willingham is a typical bro-writer who thinks a character's coolness is measured by his or her ability to swear, and Telltale didn't have the guts to disagree with him. Or maybe they think zombies and whore-rape are the only way to bring adventure games into the mainstream.
So edgy. Are you playing the same game as me? I almost disagree with everything you say except for maybe the camera. But even so I think it's excusable.

Overall I liked the environment, the visuals and the story telling (even though the deaths are too foreseeable). It isn't the same as what we normally call Adventure games but I believe it is also a valid form. I just hope they can combine the episodes, and make the C & C more...real?

aris

Arcane
On snow
Obviously, for anyone who knows the comics which this game is a prequel to, you know that snow's death can't last, as she is alive and well in that series.

But reading animal farm I think I know just why. According to her sister, she can't die because there are too many famous stories about here "and that the people won't alive it". Even if she dies, she comes back again.

Of couse the same isn't true for donkey skin girl, so it is likely that she will be dead permanently.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
1391818_585637554829314_109663919_n.jpg

Did you glass him ? I sure as hell did.:incline:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want episode 2. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I hadn't read any of the Fables stuff before playing the game, so I went ahead and got some of the comics - they're pretty good, I especially like the art (I've only read the first 2 story arcs, the murder one and the farm revolution one). It made me appreciate the game more, it seems to be a pretty faithful adaptation.

aris

Arcane
Where the fuck is episode 2???

I WANT IT NAO!!!!!!!
:x

By the way, fables is a comic that I recommend everyone to read. At least issues #1-12 and 1001 nights of snowfall, which I enjoyed reading a lot. So far, I've come to issue #55, and it really only becomes worse. By issue #50 the creator went FULL FUCKING retard with this page (spoilers, obviously)
Fables+050+-+Mr.+%2526+Mrs.+Wolf.cbr+-+Page+23.jpg
I knew that he would go retard, but I had no idea just how bad it would be. Since then, reading it has been kind of meh, I doubt I will read it until the end as his story-lines aren't nearly as good or inspired as the earlier ones were, but it did give me much insight into the game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Where the fuck is episode 2???

I WANT IT NAO!!!!!!!
:x

By the way, fables is a comic that I recommend everyone to read. At least issues #1-12 and 1001 nights of snowfall, which I enjoyed reading a lot. So far, I've come to issue #55, and it really only becomes worse. By issue #50 the creator went FULL FUCKING retard with this page (spoilers, obviously)
Fables+050+-+Mr.+%2526+Mrs.+Wolf.cbr+-+Page+23.jpg
I knew that he would go retard, but I had no idea just how bad it would be. Since then, reading it has been kind of meh, I doubt I will read it until the end as his story-lines aren't nearly as good or inspired as the earlier ones were, but it did give me much insight into the game.
Jesus, I heard the guy was a completely retarded apologist for the jews but that is just rich.:hearnoevil::hearnoevil:

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you gotten to the bit where the witch doesn't have to sacrifice kids anymore for her spells to work cause she's invested in abortion clinics? :lol:

Anyway the ham-fisted politics aren't Fables biggest failing, it's how he plays obvious favorites with the characters that ends up ruining it; nothing wolf/snow white/a couple others ever do is wrong, death, fuck ups, and disaster, it's all good cause they're so noble and great, but watch any minor characters get out of line and they're CONDEMNED AND EVIL FOREVAR, even if it was fucking accident.

aris

Arcane
From his perspective yeah, from my perspective wolf and snow white do plenty of wrong, like executions and the sort. Of course, being a kwan republican, he thinks that's "justice". But otherwise I agree with you.

And my biggest problem with that page that I linked above, is not actually how incredibly wrong the things wolf say about about the Israel-palestine conflict is, but how extremely out of place it is, in a comic that otherwise is occupied with the fictional fable town in new york.

As you said, the politics are really hamfisted.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
That whole Israel thing almost made me stop reading the comics. I was like "what the fuck, this shit is all kinds of wrong and out of place".

Same kind of hamfisted shit in Garth Ennis' work, regarding religion.

Last edited:

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The comics are still really good after that point in my opinion. I think the whole Adversary/Fabletown conflict was meant to be allegorical of Israel/Muslims, so it didn't exactly come out of nowhere. That's the only time I think it gets brought up in the open like that though.

And here it is:

He describes himself as "rabidly pro-Israel" and says that Fables "was intended from the beginning" as a metaphor for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, although he argues that Fables is not "a political tract. It never will be, but at the same time, it's not going to shy away from the fact that there are characters who have real moral and ethical centers, and we're not going to apologize for it."

aris

Arcane
For anyone that hasn't seen it yet: second episode not due until 2014... At least we should get the first episode from the second walking dead this month...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So this israeli / muslim shit is cannon? God I'm getting pretty sick of this kind of allegiroes in fantasy/scifi. It has been done too many times

Anyway, who are the israelis and who the muslims? It's not very clear to the unkawazian eye.

aris

Arcane
Still shows how little informed he is about what Israel actually is doing. If anything, Israel mirrors more closely the actions of the adversary than the actions of fable town, ironically.

I'm still reading the comic with somewhat interest, but it is becoming clear that it is all becoming quite predictable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ffs almost 3 months and no episode.

fuck this episodic shit.
I will piss on the next game going episodic.
never buying a telltale game again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom