Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed The Next Codex battle of the Giant Robots. Your chance to pilot a mech against other Codexians.

Project: Eternity
After Successfully doing a trial Battletech match (linked here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/herding-cats-a-trial-codex-battletech-match.73163/ ) I am now creating a larger (4v4) battle.

This is the format. I have prepared two teams of roughly even balance but different flavor. After this post I will post the mechs with a description. Each Codexian can then pick which mech they would like to pilot. If you have your heart set on a different mech, you can swap out one of the listed mech for a comparable alternate (subject to approval).

YOU DO NOT NEED ANY EXPERIENCE WITH BATTLETECH TO PILOT A MECH. Each team will have a who can provide advice and guidance. GarfunkeL has volunteered to be one lance leader and Jack Burton the second (even if he is not aware of it yet :)). They can provide guidance on strategy and tactics, and I will be available to answer questions.

I will post the rules later down (read, copy them from the last game), but basically movement will occur simultaneously (this is different from normal tabletop battletech). The trick will be to try to guess where the other team will be moving and move to an advantageous position.

After each posting I will generally give around 48 hours for players to look at the map, talk among themselves and give orders for the next phase. If a player will be gone for a while they can either give a general plan (i.e. close and shoot at this target), or give control to another player.

Next up, the teams:

Team A:

Team A is a balanced team that tends towards long range firepower and speed. It has a slightly higher battle value (a nominal calculation of combat effectiveness) at 4490 vs 4445.

BTW, the locations list first the internal and then the armor, so CT: 20 29 ( 10) has 20 internal structure, 29 armor, and 10 armor in the rear.

Here are the mechs:

Movement: 5/8
Engine: 300
Heat Sinks: 13

Internal: 99
Armor: 192/201
HD: 3 9
CT: 20 29 ( 10)
RT: 14 20 ( 8)
LT: 14 20 ( 8)
RA: 10 18
LA: 10 18
RL: 14 26
LL: 14 26

Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Particle Cannon [RA] 10 Heat
SRM 6 [LT] 4 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat

SRM 6 Ammo (15) [LT]

Battle Value: 1,376

The heaviest mech of the lance this variant of the Dragon is slightly different from the last match. It swapped some of its long range weapons for a heavier close range loadout. The right arm mounted PPC gives it a long range punch, but 3 medium lasers and a SRM 6 gives it more than twice the close range firepower. Its speed and heavy armor will ensure that it the Dragon can survive at almost any range.

This mech is the nominal lance commander. This means that the lance commander gets first call on this mech if they want it.

35 tons
Panther.jpg

Movement: 4/6/4
Engine: 140

Internal: 58
Armor: 104/119
CT: 11 14 ( 7)
RT: 8 10 ( 5)
LT: 8 10 ( 5)
RA: 6 10
LA: 6 10
RL: 8 12
LL: 8 12

SRM 4 [CT] 3 Heat

SRM 4 Ammo (25) [LT]

Battle Value: 769

The lightest mech on Team A, the Panther is a light mech that moves and punches like a medium. Although not particularly fast, the jump jets give it greater maneuverability than its modest speed suggests. It has heavy armor for a light mech, but as the Jenner demonstrated last match, a light mech can get chewed up pretty quickly regardless of armor. Used properly (read, not getting shot) this mech can chew down other mechs on the field given enough time. However having essentially one gun and limited mobility makes this the most straightforward mech on the team to use.

Engine: 275
Heat Sinks: 17

Internal: 91
Armor: 156/185
CT: 18 20 ( 9)
RT: 13 20 ( 6)
LT: 13 20 ( 6)
RA: 9 15
LA: 9 15
RL: 13 18
LL: 13 18

Large Laser [RA] 8 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
Small Laser [LT] 1 Heat
Machine Gun [LT] 0 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
Small Laser [RT] 1 Heat
Machine Gun [RT] 0 Heat
Medium Laser [CT] 3 Heat

Half Machine Gun Ammo (100) [LT]
Half Machine Gun Ammo (100) [RT]

Battle Value: 1,154

One of the flagship mechs of the game the Griffin combines a fast speed with the baffling decision to put half a ton of machine gun ammo in each torso. It is literally impossible to deliberately run out of MG ammo, but at least it does not produce heat to fire it. Combined with lasers and sufficient heat sinks it is nearly impossible to overheat this mech or run out of ammo. The challenge will be using its speed to be able to control the range.

Engine: 250
Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 83
Armor: 120/169
CT: 16 22 ( 7)
RT: 12 11 ( 5)
LT: 12 11 ( 5)
RA: 8 10
LA: 8 10
RL: 12 15
LL: 12 15

LRM 15 [LA] 5 Heat
Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
LRM 15 [RT] 5 Heat

LRM 15 Ammo (8) [LT]
LRM 15 Ammo (8) [RT]

Battle Value: 1,191

One of the many variants of LRM carriers the Trebuchet relies on speed and range to keep it safe. It has the heaviest long range punch on the battlefield, but is arguably the second most straightforward mech on the team: pick a target and send endless of volleys of LRMs at it. After 8 volleys, the mech can then close to short range and use its medium lasers to get itself killed.

Team B

Team B leans towards short range firepower. It has a slightly higher tonnage (205 vs 200 tons).

Here are the Mechs:
____________________________________________________________________________________
Warhammer WHM-6D
70 tons
warhammer.jpg

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 280
Heat Sinks: 20

Internal: 107
Armor: 217/217
CT: 22 34 ( 10)
RT: 15 22 ( 8)
LT: 15 22 ( 8)
RA: 11 22
LA: 11 22
RL: 15 30
LL: 15 30

Particle Cannon [LA] 10 Heat
Medium Laser [LT] 3 Heat
Small Laser [LT] 1 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
Small Laser [RT] 1 Heat

Battle Value: 1,471

The heaviest mech on the field also brings the strongest firepower. It is also a flagship mech (read: ripped straight from Robotech see below). This variant removes the traditional SRM6 in place of more lasers and better heat profile. Despite that, at close range, the Warhammer can still overheat quickly. The lance commander gets first call on this mech if desired.
robotech.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________
Team B
Hunchback HBK-4G
50 tons
Hunchback.jpg

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 200

Internal: 83
Armor: 160/169
CT: 16 26 ( 5)
RT: 12 20 ( 4)
LT: 12 20 ( 4)
RA: 8 16
LA: 8 16
RL: 12 20
LL: 12 20

Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
Autocannon/20 [RT] 7 Heat
Small Laser [HD] 1 Heat

AC/20 Ammo (5) [LT]
AC/20 Ammo (5) [LT]

Battle Value: 1,041

The Hunchback brings the mighty AC/20 to the field. Although it has a very short range (9 hexes) this monster gun will punch through the armor of any mech on the other team. It is not especially fast, but its armor will hopefully allow it to close with the foe before being the #1 target catches up with it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Javelin JVN-10N
30 tons
Javelin.jpg

Movement: 6/9/6
Engine: 180
Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 51
Armor: 64/105
HD: 3 6
CT: 10 8 ( 2)
RT: 7 8 ( 2)
LT: 7 8 ( 2)
RA: 5 6
LA: 5 6
RL: 7 8
LL: 7 8

SRM 6 [LT] 4 Heat
SRM 6 [RT] 4 Heat

SRM 6 Ammo (15) [LT]
SRM 6 Ammo (15) [RT]

Battle Value: 594

This mech has half the nominal battle value of any mech on the team. It is pretty fast, but has jump jets to help it close. However, paper thin armor gives it very little staying power. With that said, if it can hit with its short range SRMs will rack up the crits on any mech whose armor is already weakened, and the total damage potential is up there with the rest of team.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Cronus CRS-3M
55 tons
Cronus.jpg

Movement: 5/8/5
Engine: 275
Heat Sinks: 14

Internal: 91
Armor: 168/185
CT: 18 28 ( 7)
RT: 13 21 ( 5)
LT: 13 21 ( 5)
RA: 9 16
LA: 9 16
RL: 13 20
LL: 13 20

Large Laser [RA] 8 Heat
Medium Laser [LT] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
SRM 4 [CT] 3 Heat

SRM 4 Ammo (25) [LT]

Battle Value: 1,339

I picked this mech to balance out the team. Despite being only 55 tons it has a surprisingly high battle value. It fast, maneuverable, and heavily armored. It also brings a decent firepower, but with only 14 heat sinks it can overheat itself easily.

Ooh, a warhammer! Goody. Only marauder could be better.

So I am team B? I'll let everyone chime in on what mech they want before things get rolling. I'll probably choose the javelin unless someone really wants it, to keep from a repeat of the jenner charge. Or maybe the cronus since it has heating issues.

BTW, someone volunteered you for Lance commander (mainly a ceremonial position). Did you want to accept it? Also, since GarfunkeL has not yet chosen, IMO you can be either team :)

I suspect the Javelin will either be very crafty or very dead.

Ok, here are some of the rules:

To keep things simple it will be a lance on lance (4v4). Each mech will be piloted by a separate Codexer, and of one pilot on each side will be a lance commander and will ostentatiously be in charge of the lance. It is up to the pilot to decide how closely they want to follow orders....

I will also be using Megamek, but with a twist. Moves will be simultaneous. I will maintain a separate conversation for each team where movement and strategy is discussed. At the start of each turn the pilot will tell me the square/facing they want to move to. Once I have all the move orders in, or 48 (or so) hours have passed since the last posting, I will execute all of them at once. Each pilot will also give me their fire orders, which I will also execute at simultaneously. In the event a pilot fails to give me orders I will make a guess based on stated strategy, lance commander orders, or my general lulz.

Lance Commanders can pick faction/backstory, but all pilots are 4/5. They are also in charge of general strategy. This means that I will make mechs with no orders follow the strategy outlined by the commanders.

Each codexian can select any mech. That mech determines your team. If you want to take a different, but similar mech, tell me and it can probably be switched. You can post comments here, or keep them in PMs for secrecy. Once the mechs are picked, I will post what the map looks like :) Expect a pretty generic map, similar to the last map, but with more rolling hills and probably forests.

But what if two mechs want to move to the same square!?

Good question. In the event that two mechs give move orders to the same square, the prority is:
fastest jumper (if jump jets were used)>fastest ground top speed>furthest distance moved (if ground speed is the same)

The prioity mech can either:
a) take the square, causing the other mech to stop in their penultiment movement hex or,
b) execute a charge/death from above on the other mech

But what if I shoot at a mech that another player has killed with fire?

In that event you will continue to slag the rubble.

Basic Movement Rules:

Each mech can either walk or run, and some mechs can jump. Walking generates 1 heat and gives a +1 (that is a malus) to hit. Running generates 2 heat and gives a +2 penalty to hit. Jumping generates 1 heat/hex moved and gives a +3 penalty to hit. The penalty is the number that is added to the number that you need to hit (on 2d6).

Moving forward into a clear space takes 1 movement. Entering woods, rubble, or water takes an additional movement (or 2 for heavy woods). This means that moving forward into light woods would take 2 movement points total. Changing facings also takes 1 movement. Changing elevation also takes 1 movement per level.

Mechs can back up at their walking rate, and mix forward and backward movement as they like. However you cannot change elevation while going backwards.

So that means that if we wanted to change face, and go up a hill (1 level) into light woods it would take a total of 4 movement. 1 (face change) + 2 (light woods) + 1 (elevation change) = 4 total Movement points

If anyone really cares, here is a complete list of movement costs ttp://www.sarna.net/wiki/TW_Movement_Costs_Table Jumping is different. A jumping mech ignores intervening terrain, and can land in any facing it wants. However, a jumping mech generates 1 heat per hex jumped and gets a +3 penality to hit. That is all that matters, just remember that the faster you move the harder it is to be hit, really only the Jenner and the Dragon have the kind of movement that would make it useful.

Moving gives the following penalties to be hit based on the total hexes MOVED. In the previous example, spending 4 movement to go one hex (up a hill into a forest) resulted in a net of 1 hex moved. This modifier is added to the number required to get (on 2d6) in order to hit.
0-2 +0
3-4 +1
5-6 +2
7-8 +3
9-10 +4
11+ +5

Basic Firing Rules:

All weapons have short (4+), medium(6+), and long(8+)ranges. The range gives the base to hit before movement, terrain and heat modifiers. In practice, assuming both mechs moved, you can assume that shooting at short range will hit about 60% of the time, while at long range you will hit about 10% of the time.

Shooting through or into (but not out of) woods gives a penalty of +1 for light woods and +2 for heavy woods. More than a few hexes of woods blocks line of sight. Standing behind a hill gives partial cover this gives a +1 penalty to be hit, and in addition if you are hit, any shots that would hit the legs instead miss.

PPCs and LRMs have a minimum range of 3 and 6 hexes repectivly. Each hex inside minimum gives a +1 penalty to hit. In practice, it is noticeably harder to hit with PPCs at point blank range and effectively impossible for LRMs.

Physical attacks

If you are next to, and facing (front 3 hexes) a mech you can punch or kick them. Note, if you are kicked, or miss a kick there is a chance you can fall down. Kicks do tonnage/5 to a leg and punches (you can punch with any arm that does not fire a weapon in that round) do tonnage/10, but have a high chance to hit the head.

Here are the ranges of the weapons in play

Weapon Min Short Med Long

Sm Laser Heat 1 Dam 3 Short 1 Med 2 Long 3
Med Laser Heat 3 Dam 4 Short 1-3 Med 4-6 Long 7-9
Lg Laser Heat 8 Damage 8 Short 1-5 Med 6-10 Long 11-15

AC/20 Heat 7 Damage 20 (!) Short 1-3 Med 4-6 Long 7-9

SRM 4 Heat 3 Damage 2/missile that hits Short 1-3 Med 4-6 Long 7-9
SRM 6 Heat 4 Damage 2/missile that hits Short 1-3 Med 4-6 Long 7-9

PPC 10 Heat 10 Dam 10 Min 3 Short 4-6 Med 7-12 Long 13-18

LRM 15 Heat 5 Dam 1/Missile that hits Min 6 Short 7 Medium 8-14 Long 15-21

Heat Rules

Moving and shooting generates heat, your heat sinks dissipate heat. If you generate more heat than you dissipate then heat builds up. A small amount of heat is no big deal, but as it builds it can cause bad stuff. Most of the mechs (deliberately) do not have heat problems; i.e. it is difficult/impossible to increase heat level. Otherwise you can get to heat 4 without problems and 7 with only a minor movement penalty.

Here is the heat chart

Heat Effect
5 -1 Movement
8 +1 To hit
10 -2 Movement
13 +2 To hit
14 Possible Shutdown (avoid 4+)
15 -3 Movement
17 +3 To hit
18 Possible Shutdown (avoid 6+)
19 Ammo Explosion (avoid 4+)
20 -4 Movement
22 Possible Shutdown (avoid 8+)
23 Ammo Explosion (avoid 6+)
24 +4 To hit
25 -5 Movement
26 Possible Shutdown (avoid 10+)
28 Ammo Explosion (avoid 8+)
30 Shutdown
30+ Mech cannot power up.

Norfleet

What, the commanders aren't picking their own team loadouts this time? Who gets me?

Norfleet

That's surprising. You'd think Gauss Guns would be an earlier tech, seeing as we already have them in real life.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
damn, Warhammer allready taken :( Okay then I would like the Hunchback if possible.

Norfleet

It looks like everything on Team B has been taken, so we're going to be with Team Garfunkel. Veterans of the last game united, I guess. I'll just wait for our Fearless Leader to assign me to something based on what he feels best, probably because he wants an obedient lackey in that seat.

All positions are now filled (that was fast). Now waiting for GarfunkeL to come and arrange his team. Team B (you can think of a better team name if want) has the following pilots

Jack Burton: Warhammer
Rashiakas: Hunchback
Good Little Toastboy (heretofore known as GLT): Javelin
Azira: Cronus

Team A has

Ulminati
Norfleet
GarfunkeL
Laclongquan: Trebuchet
Panther, Griffon, and Dragon undesignated

I did not realize that Team A is apparently the animal friend team.

Norfleet

I also notice in the rules list that the medium lazor is listed for 4 damage. In our previous game, it reported 5 damage. What's up with that? Also, the range for the machine guns was not given. If MechWarrior is any guide, the range and damage was pretty pathetic, although in MW, the DPS per tonnage was actually fairly impressive if you could keep it trained on target. What are they like in this game? Harmless? Mostly Harmless? Only suitable for shooting unarmored vehicles and infantry, neither of which are present?

Norfleet

Can you do the thing in MechWarrior where you jump up over a tall hill-thing, fire a shot in the air, and then drop back below the hill to avoid return fire?

Norfleet

Actually, jumpsniping is like, a major thing, in Mechwarrior. Dunno how it translates to tabletop.

I also notice in the rules list that the medium lazor is listed for 4 damage. In our previous game, it reported 5 damage. What's up with that? Also, the range for the machine guns was not given. If MechWarrior is any guide, the range and damage was pretty pathetic, although in MW, the DPS per tonnage was actually fairly impressive if you could keep it trained on target. What are they like in this game? Harmless? Mostly Harmless? Only suitable for shooting unarmored vehicles and infantry, neither of which are present?
Sorry there was a typo last game. Medium lasers do 5 damage, not 4. Also machine guns do pretty pathetic damage, but the DPS/ton is in fact good (albeit at a max range of 3 hexes). Really they are only useful for infantry and when mounted in banks of 6+ (IMO 8+ .5 tons ammo is pretty good). I recommend that if it looks like a torso armor is going to be breached that you dump the ammo in that location since a crit on ammo sets it off and kills the mech.

If there are two other players interested I can add a mech to each side, but 4v4 also is good.

Destroid

Arcane
Can you do the thing in MechWarrior where you jump up over a tall hill-thing, fire a shot in the air, and then drop back below the hill to avoid return fire?

No. It might be possible with some of the advanced rules from one of the source books though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom