Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Herding Cats, a trial Codex Battletech Match

Project: Eternity
Hello,

After reading Destoid's excellent battletech post I became interested in starting up some old play-by email type battle tech games.

To keep things simple it will be a lance on lance (4v4). Each mech will be piloted by a separate Codexer, and of one pilot on each side will be a lance commander and will ostentatiously be in charge of the lance. It is up to the pilot to decide how closely they want to follow orders....

I will also be using Megamek, but with a twist. Moves will be simultaneous. Each pilot will tell me the square/facing they want to move to. Once I have all the move orders in, I will execute all of them at once. Each pilot will then give me their fire orders, which I will also execute at simultaneously.

I request that anyone volunteering to be a lance commander be familiar with 3025 since they I will go to them for particular information. Lance Commanders will pick faction/backstory, but all pilots are 4/5. Otherwise, you need as much experience are you feel you need. Direct questions to your lance commander.

Each side will consist of a total of 200 tons and 4 mechs. Each pilot can select any 3025 book mech or listed variant. No custom mechs. You can post comments here, or keep them in PMs for secrecy. Once the mechs are picked, the lance commanders will PM the list of mechs. If the tonnage does not equal out, the lance commanders will have the last word on initial mech selection. I will generally process the turns once I have move/fire orders from each mech. In the event one or more pilots are tardy (>24 hours or so) I will ask for input the lance commander, make the decision for them, or have the mech do nothing depending on the circumstances.

But what if two mechs want to move to the same square!?

Good question. In the event that two mechs give move orders to the same square, the prority is:
fastest jumper (if jump jets were used)>fastest ground top speed>furthest distance moved (if ground speed is the same)

The prioity mech can either:
a) take the square, causing the other mech to stop in their penultiment movement hex or,
b) execute a charge/death from above on the other mech

But what if I shoot at a mech that another player has killed with fire?

Less good question. In that event you will continue to slag the rubble.

Questions, comments, volunteers?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I know nothing of battletech save for that horrible cartoon a few decades back and what I learned playing the computar gaems.

Not that I'll let that stop me! Voulenteering to pilot a stompy robot!

Destroid

Arcane
I won't take part but it sounds like it will make interesting reading.

EDIT: You could implement a character and mech upgrade system, which would make the pilots even more self serving.

I won't take part but it sounds like it will make interesting reading.

EDIT: You could implement a character and mech upgrade system, which would make the pilots even more self serving.

I could, but I want to make this a straightforward as possible; I've seen enough overly ambitious LPs abandoned before completion. Simultaneous turns means much less turn around on move orders, and I have played it before. Once I have a succussfull battle under my belt, then I can start getting clever. With that said, if I don't get a couple of people interested in being lance commanders, I will create some balanced teams

I'll sign up but my BattleTech lore ends before the Clans assaulted Inner Sphere, so there's probably a better Lance commander out there.

3025 is pre-clan and pre-Steiner/Davion merge. I like it for the balance of offence and defense and the fact that heat sinks are more relevant

To keep this thread active, and test my imagefoo here is a map of the inner sphere circa 3025.

Inner-sphere-3025.jpg

Norfleet

I don't know anything about this game, the rules, or the Lore, but I was okay with those Mechwarrior games. We don't literally mean email, do we? That's barbaric. Plus I don't have one. We can just PM you or something? In any event, I'd be interested in taking a look. I have no idea how to play, but I can offer any prospective commander an important asset: I'll do whatever you tell me to do.

Yay, it looks like we have 4 people signed up. I nominate GarfunkeL as one of the Lance Commanders....er, since it is 2v2, the senior pilot. Pick 2 mechs for a total of 120 tons (3025 tech only obviously) Do you feel up to picking mechs Eklektyk, or shall I pick them instead. Also, GarfunkeL/Eklektyk, first person to pick who they want on thier team gets them....

Oh yeah, communication of moves/fire orders will be via PM. The results will be posted here.

Also, anybody who is lurking is more then welcome to kibitz...

eklektyk

Erudite
i feel it would be best if somebody else took command
all i wanted was to die in a sparkly red ball of flames....

ps. if i need to lead this little adventure it will be best if You pick up mechs - last time i had toyed with rusting buckets was when tried to play Mechwarrior<tm> - not enough patience back then so i fear to fail all Lore checks and all that

edity ps2. and Garf should pick his meatshield first M:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Nice, looking forward to see how this turns out. Be sure to die honorable deaths for your respective houses.

Also, the Dragon is the best mech of this period (the Awesome is awesome too, but Autocannons).

Eklektyk, I will act as an advisor for you. I sent you a team suggestion.

Once I have GarfunkeL's mech choices I will put out a info sheet.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In before someone shows up in a motherfucking Kodiak loaded to the brim with clan ERPPCs

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Clans haven't invaded yet, so at least it won't be clan tech (and hopefully they'd overheat in their puny single heatsinks).

eklektyk

Erudite
so now we wait for Garf to pick his meatshield

I graciously acepted my advisors pick of rusted hulks sometimes called Mechs ....

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE.

In this corner, weighing in at a combined weight of 115 tons, we have Eklektyk and Ulminati.

Eklektyk is piloting a Jenner JR7-F. A formidable mix of movement and firepower, the Jenner is a powerhouse on any field, but let's hope its light mech armor can hold up to the heavies on the field.

However, Ulminati is piloting a mech who's best description may be "Hulk SMASH". The AWS-8Q Awesome may have weaknesses, but lack of armor or firepower are not among them. Let's see how the opposing team handles this behometh.

In the other corner, weighting in at a combined weight of 120 tons, we have GarfunkeL and Norfleet.

GarfunkeL is piloting a Rifleman Sneede-FLU. This bizzare variant of the Rifleman lacks the dual autocannons we all know and expect for a medley of weapons in all range catagories. However, any mech that packs both a PPC and a LRM-20 is not to be trifled with.

Norfleet is in the much more standard Dragon DRG-1C. The heavy mech against which all other heavies are matched, the Dragon is a potent mix of heavy armor and good mobility. Although its sheer firepower is not as strong as some others, its range, armor, and heatsinks will allow it to keep up a relentless barrage for a very long time indeed.

For those playing the home game. I will be including a post of the specs for the current teams...

Blue Team
Jenner JR7-F
35 tons
W/R/J
Movement: 7/11/5
Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 58
Armor: 112/119
HD: 3 7
CT: 11 15 ( 6)
RT: 8 11 ( 5)
LT: 8 11 ( 5)
RA: 6 11
LA: 6 11
RL: 8 15
LL: 8 15

Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat

Awesome AWS-8Q
80 tons
W/R
Movement: 3/5
Heat Sinks: 28
Internal: 122
Armor: 240/247
HD: 3 9
CT: 25 30 ( 19)
RT: 17 24 ( 10)
LT: 17 24 ( 10)
RA: 13 24
LA: 13 24
RL: 17 33
LL: 17 33
Particle Cannon [RA] 10 Heat
Particle Cannon [LT] 10 Heat
Particle Cannon [RT] 10 Heat
Small Laser [HD] 1 Heat

Gold Team

Rifleman Sneede-FLU
60 tons
W/R
Movement: 4/6
Heat Sinks: 14

Internal: 99
Armor: 152/201
HD: 3 8
CT: 20 22 ( 4)
RT: 14 15 ( 3)
LT: 14 22 ( 6)
RA: 10 20
LA: 10 22
RL: 14 15
LL: 14 15

Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Particle Cannon [RA] 10 Heat
Medium Laser [LT] 3 Heat
LRM 20 [LT] 6 Heat
Medium Laser [RT] 3 Heat
Medium Laser (R) [CT] 3 Heat

LRM 20 Ammo (6) [LT]
LRM 20 Ammo (6) [LT]

Dragon DRG-1C
60 tons
W/R
Movement: 5/8
Heat Sinks: 10

Internal: 99
Armor: 201/201
HD: 3 9
CT: 20 28 ( 12)
RT: 14 18 ( 10)
LT: 14 18 ( 10)
RA: 10 20
LA: 10 20
RL: 14 28
LL: 14 28

Medium Laser [LA] 3 Heat
Autocannon/2 [RA] 1 Heat
Medium Laser (R) [LT] 3 Heat
LRM 10 [CT] 4 Heat

LRM 10 Ammo (12) [LT]
LRM 10 Ammo (12) [LT]
AC/2 Ammo (45) [RT]

Ok, a few words about moving.

Each mech can either walk or run, and the Jenner can jump. Walking generates 1 heat and gives a +1 (that is a malus) to hit. Running generates 2 heat and gives a +2 penalty to hit.

Moving forward into a clear space takes 1 movement

Entering woods, rubble, or water takes an additional movement (or 2 for heavy woods). This means that moving forward into light woods would take 2 movement points total

Changing facings also takes 1 movement
Changing elevation also takes 1 movement per level.

So that means that if we wanted to change face, and go up a hill (1 level) into light woods it would take a total of 4 movement. 1 (face change) + 2 (light woods) + 1 (elevation change) = 4 total Movement points

If anyone really cares, here is a complete list of movement costs http://www.sarna.net/wiki/TW_Movement_Costs_Table

Jumping is different. A jumping mech ignores intervening terrain, and can land in any facing it wants. However, a jumping mech generates 1 heat per hex jumped and gets a +3 penality to hit.

That is all that matters, just remember that the faster you move the harder it is to be hit, really only the Jenner and the Dragon have the kind of movement that would make it useful.

If you care, moving gives the following penalty to be hit (this is a good thing) based on the total hexes MOVED. In the example above, spending 4 movement to go one hex (up a hill into a forest) results in a net of ONE (1) hex moved.

Hexes MOVED Penality to be hit
0-2 +0
3-4 +1
5-6 +2
7-8 +3
9-10 +4
11+ +5

Ok, let talk about attacking

All weapons have short, medium, and long ranges. In practice, most mechs have a hard time shooting behind them (the cone that spreads out from the hex directly behind them).

Assuming both mechs moved, you can assume that shooting at short range will hit about 50% of the time, while at long range you will hit about 10% of the time.

Shooting through or into (but not out of) woods gives a penalty of +1 for light woods and +2 for heavy woods. More than a few hexes of woods blocks line of sight.

standing behind a hill gives partial cover this gives a +1 penalty to be hit, but if you are hit, head hits are more likely.

PPCs, LRMs and AC/2s have a minimum range. Each hex inside minimum gives a +1 penalty to hit. In practice, it is noticeably harder to hit with PPCs and AC/2s at point blank range and effectively impossible for LMRs.

Hit or miss all weapons generate heat and use ammo if they are fired.

Physical attacks

If you are next to, and facing (front 3 hexes) a mech you can punch or kick them. You REALLY don't want to get kicked by an awesome. Note, if you are kicked, or miss a kick there is a chance you can fall down.

Here are the ranges of the weapons in play

Weapon Min Short Med Long
Sm Laser Heat 1 Dam 3 Short 1 Med 2 Long 3
Med Laser Heat 2 Dam 4 Short 1-3 Med 4-6 Long 7-9
PPC 10 Heat 10 Dam 10 Min 3 Short 4-6 Med 7-12 Long 13-18

LRM 10 Heat 4 Dam 1/Missile that hits Min 6 Short 7 Medium 8-14 Long 15-21
LRM 20 Heat 6 Dam 1/Missile that hits Min 6 Short 7 Medium 8-14 Long 15-21

AC-2 Heat 1 Dam 3 Min 4 Short 5-8 Med 9-16 Long 17-24(!)

edit, tab correction

Lastly Heat

Moving and shooting generates heat, your heat sinks dissipate heat. If you generate more heat than you dissipate then heat builds up. A small amount of heat is no big deal, but as it builds it can cause bad stuff.

For those who care, here is the heat table.

Here is the heat chart

Heat Effect
5 -1 Movement
8 +1 To hit
10 -2 Movement
13 +2 To hit
14 Possible Shutdown (avoid 4+)
15 -3 Movement
17 +3 To hit
18 Possible Shutdown (avoid 6+)
19 Ammo Explosion (avoid 4+)
20 -4 Movement
22 Possible Shutdown (avoid 8+)
23 Ammo Explosion (avoid 6+)
24 +4 To hit
25 -5 Movement
26 Possible Shutdown (avoid 10+)
28 Ammo Explosion (avoid 8+)
30 Shutdown
30+ Mech cannot power up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom