Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Hellion

Arcane

If I'm reading this right according to the image in the tweet, hyperlanes will be hidden and only revealed as our Science Ships explore the galaxy.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD anomaly rework and map change
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today, we're going to start talking about the 2.1 'Niven' update, which will be the next major update after 2.0. At this point I cannot give you any details on the exact nature of the update or when it's arriving, but I *can* talk about some changes we're making and new features we're introducing in regards to exploration, galaxy generation and anomalies.

Anomaly Changes
In 2.1, we're changing the way anomalies work in a few ways. First and foremost, we are removing the concept of failure risk - we found that the possibility to fail on anomalies added little to the game in terms of interesting choices, and mostly frustrated players or made them wait with researching said anomalies until their chance of success was maximized. As such, instead of making it so that anomalies have a failure risk based on scientist skill level, we've instead made it so that the time it takes to research an anomaly is heavily dependent on the scientist skill versus the level of the anomaly - researching a level 2 anomaly with a level 2 scientist will be a comparatively quick affair, while attempting a level 10 anomaly with the same scientist can take a very, very long time, and might mean that it is better to return to it later with a more skilled scientist, so not to hold up your early exploration.
index.php

(Note: Not final numbers, etc)

As part of this we've also added an anomaly tracker tab to the situation log. The anomaly tracker will keep track of anomalies that you have discovered but not yet researched and easily let find and you return to them.
index.php

Hyperlane Generation
Another thing that is changing in 2.1 is the way the Hyperlane network is generated. Rather than simply attempting to connect stars to nearby stars, we've created a new generation algorithm that builds up 'clusters' of stars with a high degree of internal connectivity, that are connected to each other by thinner 'highways' which form natural chokepoints. These chokepoints are also registered as such by the game, allowing us to find actual chokepoint systems and avoid placing Leviathans and other powerful space monsters there, as well as improving the AI's ability to detect suitable spots for defensive starbses. The hyperlane connectivity setting will determine the level of connectivity between clusters, and thus how frequent and easily circumvented chokepoints are.
index.php

(Note: Image is not final. We're still working on the algorithm)

As part of this it will now also be possible for modders to easily generate systems and clusters of systems that are not connected to the main hyperlane network.

New Stars & Systems
Lastly for today, we've added a bunch of new system and star types to the game. First out are binary and trinary star systems - systems containing more than a single star. These systems come in a variety of configurations, and will often contain more planets and resources than conventional, single-star systems. We've also added some new star types to the game in the form of Brown Dwarves (not technically stars, I know) and Class M red super-giants. We've also made it possible to generate more than a single asteroid belt in a system, and created some new mineral-rich asteroid-heavy systems. Finally, there are some new unique systems to find with large amounts of resources in them, guarded by powerful space creatures.
index.php

index.php

index.php

That's all for today! Next week we're going to be talking about something just a little bit mysterious called the L-Cluster... see you then!

orcinator

Liturgist
Apparently they rolled patch 2.03 back since it was causing the AI to be even dumber than before and just go into a starvation spiral it was too dumb to recover from.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently they rolled patch 2.03 back since it was causing the AI to be even dumber than before and just go into a starvation spiral it was too dumb to recover from.
Yeah, I wondered about that.
Was starting to play again (though with ST:NH, screw vanilla, I want to rip off Ferengi) and half of the mods said "mods are outdated, your version is 2.0.2 and mod was made for 2.0.3".
Good to see they have programmers capable of counting to three...

Mod works fine, anyway.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They have a 2.0.4 hotfix already in beta branch
Hi all,

As you know there were some issues with 2.0.3 released yesterday. We've spent the day fixing the worst of them in hopes of getting things in better shape for you all for the weekend. However, we finished this rather late in the day and we're not sure the fixes are 100% robust yet, so I'm going to put out 2.0.4 as an optional beta. At the same time I'm rescinding 2.0.3 and going back to 2.0.2 as the base version until 2.0.4 is good to go fully live.

Here's the fix list:

* Fixed AI not building Starbase buildings/modules
* Fixed broken/missing graphics, sound, and starship components
* Fixed occupation armies spawning mid-invasion/bombardment
* Fixed enlighten primitives action giving you low-level intel of the entire galaxy, despite their weird primitive all-seeing animist wisdom

GIve it a try and let us know how it goes.

Please note this is an opt-in patch. You have to choose to activate it.

Steam library -> Right click on Stellaris -> Properties -> Betas tab -> choose "2.0.4_beta"

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did that bug exist before 2.0.3? In my test game the AI empires were absolutely pathetic in terms of economy. That's probably why the galaxy got eaten by Tyranids at the end.

orcinator

Liturgist
Did that bug exist before 2.0.3? In my test game the AI empires were absolutely pathetic in terms of economy. That's probably why the galaxy got eaten by Tyranids at the end.

I had one (tributary) empire starve in 2.02. Some people said that empires in .03 would just keep building power plants on every tile in an attempt to counter the deficit caused by starving pops instead of focusing on food, though in my game the empire didn't build anything at all.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I had one (tributary) empire starve in 2.02. Some people said that empires in .03 would just keep building power plants on every tile in an attempt to counter the deficit caused by starving pops instead of focusing on food, though in my game the empire didn't build anything at all.
I am imagining some angry kid playing the game, raging about how nobody gets to work on those power plants.

Should'we donated them some minerals and food, filthy alien scum!
Unmodded ai can't play at all, since it keeps reserving minerals for some irrelevant shit.

Hellion

Arcane
"Distant Stars" Story Pack announced, adds some new content including a "gateway that leads to a mysterious sector guarded by Behemoths".

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Here's where I'm at with Stellaris. Stellaris is a sci-fi strategy game. I think it's an excellent sci-fi game. I think it's a mediocre strategy game. I currently consider it to be in the same category as CK2 - if your objective in playing it is to paint the map, it's going to get boring fast. You gotta LARP to really have fun with it.

vanilla as a larper is completely useless. there's just not enough stuff to larp with. you need at least EUTAB, alphamod and NSC2 to BEGIN to customize your empire.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
MAIN FEATURES

Behind Closed Doors: Discover hidden traces of an ancient gateway network unlocking a sealed path to a constellation outside our own galaxy. But is this door holding something out, or keeping something in?

Sensors are Picking up… That Can’t be Right: Encounter dozens of new anomalies and events for your intrepid scientists to observe and analyze, and a galaxy of wonders for them to discover.

Brave New Worlds: Plot unexplored unique solar systems, each with their own story to tell. Gain technology, resources, and valuable worlds to colonize.

There’s Always a Bigger Fish: Come face to face with a number of unique gargantuan creatures that exist and thrive in the vacuum of space. But approach with caution, because whether gentle giants or something more sinister, these legendary behemoths have existed long before you and will do what it takes to survive long after.

chuft

Augur
Playing Age of Wonders 3.

The contrast between it and Stellaris for amount of action/decisions per hour invested is incredible.

I still am trying to understand how a game that looks as cool as Stellaris can be so slow and boring to play.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

vanilla as a larper is completely useless. there's just not enough stuff to larp with. you need at least EUTAB, alphamod and NSC2 to BEGIN to customize your empire.
yeah, I ended up liking CK2 for larping and I had hoped that Stellaris would add some more complex faction/character interactions - for example, actual lines of succession, marriages and even inter-empire/species marriages - if your races are compatible and/or if you have the appropriate techs researched. Maybe even the ability to command a ship and do certain missions.

Additions that matter vs these hamfisted rebalances that end up removing content and overall making the game more broken with time.

Instead, it seems like the devs are creatively bankrupt at this point and are just recreating popular mods (and inevitably doing a worse job than the free mods which always *mysteriously* seem to disappear once the expansion is released).

chuft

Augur
Why do you guys say "larping" when referring to a computer game? Doesn't larping mean "Live Action Role Playing" ? Like, in real life roleplaying outside, with fake swords or whatever?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
People tend to use this term as "doing stupid shit in your video game" aka autistic stuff. Eg. choosing dialogue options your character would likely use or not killing specific NPCs because you imagined your toon as pacifist.
So basicly you're live action role playing in a video game. Sort of.

Don't blame me. I haven't came up with this idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom