Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Did a search but apparently it doesn't have its own thread yet. One of the guys who made Terraria has been developing a game called Starbound which is fairly similar except it's set in space where you explore various randomly generated planets with randomized populations, loot, etc.

Couple of blog entries on the development so far:

Dungeon generation - http://playstarbound.com/dungeon-generation/

Procedurally generated guns - http://playstarbound.com/procedurally-generated-guns-pewpew/

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While I don't think much of these games in general I found Terraria a lot of fun to play with friends and so am following this with vague interest. Good for him.

Multi-headed Cow

Ended up playing Terraria for 20 hours, mainly playing a bunch when it first launched and seeing most all of the content available at the time. Poked my head in a few times during subsequent patches and it looked like it was improving nicely and certainly adding a lot more content but I just never really got in to it again at that point.

That said, assuming this is reasonably priced like Terraria was ($10, and with a 4 pack for more discounts) I'd probably grab it on launch.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I got Terraria after it was fully patched and had all the content it was going to have, sans mods.
I also co-oped the thing with usually one, sometimes more friends.

We tried to craft everything, kill everything and see mostly everything. I've made it to 53 hours with that; they must have added a whole lot of content later on to make it have so much playtime.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I put about 50-60 hours in, too. The free content patch they last pushed out was pretty significant. It added another tier of bosses, ores, armor, and a ton of other items both functional and decorative. They could have easily charged $5 for it as an expansion. I only got through about half of it before I moved on to another game. Such is the time we live in where there's not enough time and a lot of stuff on the backlog.

potatojohn

Arcane
I thought terraria was a good idea with a shit execution. I mean, can you name another platformer where 1/2 the enemies and projectiles can go through walls? Cause I sure can't. Because the idea is fucking infuriating in practice.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ah, the fun times i had building obsidian and glass floating castles with lava cannons of doom in terraria....
anyhoo, starbound looks cool (especially the video with water physics) but it's still ages away from release.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Hm, I skipped Terraria for some reason. Any features worth noting in comparison to Minecraft?

Bruticis

I liked Terraria this much!
Fauff.gif

Achilles

Arcane
I skipped Terraria because it didn't intrigue me, Space Terraria however is going to get my money.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hm, I skipped Terraria for some reason. Any features worth noting in comparison to Minecraft?

Whereas Minecraft is basically just a construction/builder game Terraria has that and an actual game, too. It's sort of a Metroidvania type where you can improve your character, hunt for loot, craft stuff, fight enemies and bosses for more loot, etc. I'm sure it'll drop to $2.50 in a Steal sale soon and I'd highly recommend picking it up. I actually grabbed it at that price when it first went on sale as a glitch -- crazy bargain.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One of the Terraria guys simply took a break/retired. This is made by the artist and some other people. I'm guessing he wanted to continue Terraria but couldn't since the other guy wasn't up to it.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's now up for Pre-Order in a Kickstarter style tier system. Pre-ordering promises access to the beta, which they seem to want to get to quite soon!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They made a rough progress tracker so you can get an idea of their development time: http://www.playstarbound.com/roadmap/

Lowest tier is $15 which also gets the Soundtrack along with the beta and eventual Steam key. There's also a 25% discount for a four-pack making it ~$11 per person.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can get a clue for some of the things to be expected in the soundtrack here: https://soundcloud.com/curtis-schweitzer/sets/starbound

As far as I know these are still currently experimental tracks, but they're included in the bundle along with the confirmed tracks, of which some are here: http://playstarbound.com/soundtrack/

The pre-ordering is done through the Humble store. They're also about to pass the $100k mark in, I think, a little under six hours. Exciting!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom