Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - South Park RPG sequel from Ubisoft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Surprised to see Jordan Thomas (ex-Thief, Bioshock, The Magic Circle) "consulting" Ubi SF on this one:

13431.png

He did the same with the first game, so it makes sense

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thomas was to Truth Stick what Gabe Newell was to Deus Ex http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._of_comfort_zone_with_new_South_Park_game.php

As far as how my time on the immersive simulations, for lack of a better term, applies to Stick: First thing was, I pushed really hard for more combinatorial use of the player tools -- [that is,] the ability for players to be creative by combining tools in ways that the designer selected in order to open a field of play, and also the Deus Ex-y sort, in which there are multiple paths within a denser dungeon-like environment.

So early in the game, you’ll make it to what we call a dungeon -- a more intense narrative experience with a greater density of combat. Within those environments I pushed very hard for you to be able to say, “Okay, I like this path better” -- offering an alternate path through the vents, if you know what I mean, versus the standard path. The level of magic in the world is a function of the boys’ reality-warping play, and the magic unlocks more and more paths, and the hope is that you feel like a partial author of the experience, instead of just solving an adventure game-style puzzle in the manner the designer intended.

I’m not a big fan of lock-and-key design, and so the notion that there might be any analog space there at all is hugely important to me. It was the first thing that I asked about.

What was the state of the game when you came on? How contrary were your opinions to the overall design?

It varied a lot by the module of content we’re talking about. The town was already built to fulfill player fantasies of exploring, at will, the town of South Park, and that was a bit closer to my style. It felt like I had more editorial rights, as a player, and that’s the sort of thing I’m attracted to. The dungeons were more traditional, and given that the gameplay’s roots in games like Super Mario RPG and Earthbound were fairly lock-and-key outside of combat, that wasn’t a shock. I was simply hoping I could push for some 2014 sensibilities to creep in there, because ultimately it’s not targeting the same audience as the old-school RPGs that this game is referencing.

What was your role on the project?

I was brought on as a creative consultant, but my actual role is really amorphous. I was sort of a set of fresh eyes meant to play through the whole thing, read the script, and try to identify the places where either the joke wasn’t landing interactively, or identify something about the design that didn’t work for me personally. Then I'd make proposals about what we could do with the time available to improve it.

So I worked with [South Park creators] Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker] in L.A., and Obsidian as well, in Orange County. I just sort of flew back and forth, playing the game a lot and trying to offer advice.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I can say outright that playing it on normal didn't pose any challenges. The rules are of a simplistic nature so I can't really see an appeal in dialing up the difficulty: for the most part the major difference, I imagine, is that I wouldn't be able to fail at the QTEs as much as I did. Not really a matter of tactics. I think you'll have to ask yourself if you can enjoy a Casual game with QTEs for every special move.

Eh, I don't agree. Even if you consider sp's rules to be realistic the game was still too easy.

Like a lot of bosses during the game are clearly set up to pose more of a challenge with resistances, buffs, debuffs and so on. Yet, you can easily kill them by just ignoring all of that or before they can take advantage of it. In hardcore.

Hell, most likely you won't even get to see all of the bosses carefully animated attacks (except if you really, really, try to make the battle longer). Which in a game like South Park REALLY misses the point. As such I'm still reasonably sure that the difficulty (even hardcore) got toned down massivly at some point towards the end.

Perkel

Arcane
From Ubi conf. i don't think there is gameplay trailer (they showed it on conf) but it basically plays now more like SRPG than JRPG of stick of the truth.

edit:
i though this would be action game but they stick to turn based combat

Trailer:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
:necro:

More tactical turn-based combat, huh.

The systems seem to be more complex than in Obsidian's version as well.

The combat system has been improved since the first game, which featured a turn-based style. This time around, a tactical positioning system and environmental factors will play a role.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Turn based combat with positioning and environmental mechanics already make this more appealing than almost any other RPG coming out this year. Release date is December 6th.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Wow. With this combat system, and particularly if they keep the opening world through aquiring new non combat skills and the overall interaction with environnement (stealth, killing enemies before combat) which made exploration infinitely better than in most RPGs out there, this game could be very, very good.
I didn't even think they would keep turn-based combat, I didn't think I would really care about the game despite having enjoyed the first, but in fact it's massive :incline: ; I'm hyped as fuck.

Deleted member 7219

That trailer was excellent, but I regretted watching it because now the best jokes have been spoiled for me. Oh well.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
In hyped as fuck too. I was watching the show when I got the notification in my email that this thread existed. I can't wait.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh. Just heard about this. Stick of Truth was sort of worth my time despite way way way too much recycling, and uninspired recycling at that, of jokes from the show.

I like what I'm seeing in the trailers - new jokes. The new combat still looks simplistic as fuck, but OK, it's more tactical, fine, that's not why I would play this anyway.

Will wait for reviews and see what people say about the writing. If there's a lot of original material, will probably check it out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ractured-but-whole-is-fusing-gags-and-gaming/

How South Park: The Fractured But Whole is fusing gags and gaming
Producer Jason Schoeder on the challenges of creating a laugh-a-minute experience

It’d be fair to say that, as a gaming genre, comedy has always been an under-explored one. While a staple of film and literature, gaming has rarely gone further than wise-cracking characters, pop-culture references and shameless punning in its pursuit of entertainment.

Ubisoft San Francisco‘s forthcoming sequel to the South Park: The Stick of Truth, South Park: The Fractured but Whole, continues creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s natural instinct for going against the grain, aiming to combine classic RPG mechanics with full-blown comedic writing.

I sat down with Senior Producer Jason Schroeder backstage at E3 last to ask him how he and his team are tackling the challenges of working with two such prolific comedy writers.

“They’re really, really involved.” Jason says of Stone and Parker’s involvement. “We have daily calls and I’m down there a few times a month just constantly trying to make sure that they’re getting the comedy they want into the game and making sure that it all makes sense moment to moment.

“They’re both gamers, so there’s a really easy common language,” he continues.

“However, deadlines and pressure are actually some of the best ways they get their comedy. Separate from the game, they truly make each episode of South Park in just six days. It’s from that pressure that they get their really relevant, really timely jokes. The video game cycle, by comparison, is brutally long for them.”

There are clearly hurdles in finding the common ground between gaming and TV comedy writing, but Schroeder is keen to emphasise his dedication to the source material.

“My aspiration is to make sure every South Park fan gets an unedited Matt Stone and Trey Parker experience.

“We always want to try and make sure to get every joke in that we can. Sometimes we have to ask the guys ‘okay, do you want that to be a gag or do you want it to be a whole system? Should we build this in as dynamic part of the game or do want it to just be something that happens?'”

And this seems to be the biggest obstacle for the team – comedy is largely about timing and the difference between a 25-minute TV episode and an eight to 12-hour game can change a lot.

“Sometimes people will have fun with a joke for five minutes but if you try to build a whole level around it they might feel like ‘okay, I got the joke the first time and it was funny but I’ve been doing it for an hour now.”

One thing that stands out as we’re talking is Jason’s enormous passion for the South Park universe and the writers’ quirky sense of humour. I asked him how it felt to be such a big fan of the series he was working on.

“18 months ago, I got my first hand-delivered paper script while I was down at their office and I was thinking to myself ‘I don’t want to read this, it’s going to be full of spoilers’. It was this very genuine fan moment and I had to say to myself ‘well, I guess it’s my job – I’m going to have to read this thing 100 times over.”

It’s always a gamble turning something you love into a living – does Jason worry that spending so much time with the characters might affect his passion for the show?

“When you do an E3 demo you play the game over and over and when we left at the end of the week, the team was still laughing at the jokes – it’s just been a tonne of fun.

“In our theatre yesterday we had one of those really just contagious moments of laughter: someone was laughing and then that made the person sitting next to them start laughing, then our demostrator cracked up. Tears were running down their faces because the jokes just kept coming and coming.”

Looking around the E3 show floor, with its heavy emphasis on action, drama and conflict, it’s clear that the comedy genre is still very much uncharted territory for most game developers.

“Comedy games definitely have room for growth,” agrees Jason. “One of the things that we’ve discovered is that you can really make people think with a comedy game because you’re able to subvert their expectations. Even the typical way they might do things on a PlayStation controller: we say ‘pull the triggers and start rotating the analogue sticks’ and then they see on screen that the kid is moving his butt around.”

South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are well known for courting controversy with projects, often pushing the boundaries of whatever medium they’re working in. Jason was keen to assure fans they can expect more of the same from South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

“There’s hopefully going to be some stuff in there that people will say ‘how did that make it through classification?'”

You can find out exactly what he’s getting at when South Park: The Fractured But Whole launches on PlayStation 4 this December. Learn more onPlayStation.com.

Severian Silk

I don't see South Park fans being able to put up with this combat style with the low camera angle. It looks like Betrayal at Krondor more than anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom