Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - South Park RPG sequel from Ubisoft

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well... yeah. It's Southpark humor. You either like it or not.
I never felt it got old or boring and I've been watching for many years.
Plus the Coon and friends episodes were really fun

*And I don't think it'll necessarily be good game gameplay-wise. But who cares really. Last one was a semi-decent JRPG of sorts though.

Perkel

Arcane
Why you all people assume this will be RPG ?
They changed their costumes from wizards and warriors to thiefs and niggers

It will be now Stealth game.

Delterius

Arcane
I still have to get around to playing the first game. Should I? Is it worth it?
As a matter of fact I did just play South Park the Stick of Truth, in honor of Obsidian's shame.

The only question you have to ask yourself is: do you enjoy South Park's humour? If not, stay away. If so you'll be treated to a 20 or so hour long episode with a casual combat system that is reminiscent of Mario RPG, meaning its turn based with QTEs for defending enemy attacks and executing abilities.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still have to get around to playing the first game. Should I? Is it worth it?
As a matter of fact I did just play South Park the Stick of Truth, in honor of Obsidian's shame.

The only question you have to ask yourself is: do you enjoy South Park's humour? If not, stay away. If so you'll be treated to a 20 or so hour long episode with a casual combat system that is reminiscent of Mario RPG, meaning its turn based with QTEs for defending enemy attacks and executing abilities.

I do love South Park humour quite a bit, but your description of combat, plus bits and bobs I've read in the prestigious Codex review of the game kinda put me off (especially the "many jokes are just out of context and re-hashed from the series" part). I'm really not sure: on one hand, it's South Park and I love it. On the other hand, slapping "South Park flavour" over a shit game wouldn't be enough for me to want to play it.
Thus, I guess the real question should be: how is the game, per se? Would it hold, were it stripped of the whole South Park theme?

Delterius

Arcane
I do love South Park humour quite a bit, but your description of combat, plus bits and bobs I've read in the prestigious Codex review of the game kinda put me off (especially the "many jokes are just out of context and re-hashed from the series" part).

Good, the thing about liking South Park humour isn't narrow enough so let me make it patently clear: this is a digital South Park theme park. This is like going to Disneyland in JRPG form. Lots of jokes are rehashes and the humour does jump the shark once or twice, that is, trying too hard to be outrageous. But whether you can laugh at South Park jokes isn't the main course. Rather if you can see a novelty in 'being a friend of the kids' and 'living one of their adventures'.

Would it hold, were it stripped of the whole South Park theme?

I can say outright that playing it on normal didn't pose any challenges. The rules are of a simplistic nature so I can't really see an appeal in dialing up the difficulty: for the most part the major difference, I imagine, is that I wouldn't be able to fail at the QTEs as much as I did. Not really a matter of tactics. I think you'll have to ask yourself if you can enjoy a Casual game with QTEs for every special move.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do love South Park humour quite a bit, but your description of combat, plus bits and bobs I've read in the prestigious Codex review of the game kinda put me off (especially the "many jokes are just out of context and re-hashed from the series" part).

Good, the thing about liking South Park humour isn't narrow enough so let me make it patently clear: this is a digital South Park theme park. This is like going to Disneyland in JRPG form. Lots of jokes are rehashes and the humour does jump the shark once or twice, that is, trying too hard to be outrageous. But whether you can laugh at South Park jokes isn't the main course. Rather if you can see a novelty in 'being a friend of the kids' and 'living one of their adventures'.

Would it hold, were it stripped of the whole South Park theme?

I can say outright that playing it on normal didn't pose any challenges. The rules are of a simplistic nature so I can't really see an appeal in dialing up the difficulty: for the most part the major difference, I imagine, is that I wouldn't be able to fail at the QTEs as much as I did. Not really a matter of tactics. I think you'll have to ask yourself if you can enjoy a Casual game with QTEs for every special move.

That did give me a better idea of what to expect. I'll sit on it for a while, and decide afterwards. Thanks.l

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The rules are of a simplistic nature so I can't really see an appeal in dialing up the difficulty: for the most part the major difference, I imagine, is that I wouldn't be able to fail at the QTEs as much as I did.

I thought some of the bosses/more demanding fights were pretty challenging and had to retry multiple times. :M

Delterius

Arcane
The rules are of a simplistic nature so I can't really see an appeal in dialing up the difficulty: for the most part the major difference, I imagine, is that I wouldn't be able to fail at the QTEs as much as I did.

I thought some of the bosses/more demanding fights were pretty challenging and had to retry multiple times. :M
I did say I played on normal, did you as well?

Delterius

Arcane
I did say I played on normal, did you as well?
Nope, the highest. Much like Shadowrun, South Park's normal is tuned too low and hardcore feels "normal-ish."
Very well. What I meant up there wasn't really that I didn't think the game was challenging. Just that the game's rules system didn't really ask for it, I guess. Its not like PoE, which is bountiful enough that you'll actually care to be pressed into fully using your potential so you won't play on anything less than PotD.

Atchodas

Augur
Why would you ever comment on game difficulty , if all you played is Normal , seriously dumb thing to do.

these days normal = easiest , easy = for handicapped people , hard = true normal , and then you get something like Supreme Jerk ( WL2 ) or path of the damned (PoE) that is a proper hard difficulty

also south park games arent typical RPG's there are no reason to play if you dont like southpark , meanwhile ofc it will sell very well because a lot of people likes SP so they not gonna stop coming

i enjoyed the game a ton , because i watch southpark for 15 years now since season 2 every autumn , hell even the trailer of new game is funny lol

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Without any info playing blind on hardest was not that easy until i got a condom cap LOL
game is defo casual :D

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Surprised to see Jordan Thomas (ex-Thief, Bioshock, The Magic Circle) "consulting" Ubi SF on this one:

13431.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom