Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official 'dex Dwarf Fortress Thread

Balor

Arcane
I remember once getting lead war hammer artifact. Shit was amazing with people flying everywhere undersiege.

Is it possible to have a slade warhammer?

Perkel

Arcane
Is it possible to have a slade warhammer?
no. either RAW tuning or DFhack are needed for that.

Actually you can. Just place slade in stockpile and connect that stockpile to metalsmith. When dwarves get in moon as long as it isn't fey mood he will follow stockpile rules. Imo it is a bug but it works.
Obviously you can't make "normal" warhammer from slade. It needs to be artifact.

In case of my lead warhammer it was made without stockpile rules so i was very very very very lucky when i got it as chance for something like wood was much much much much higher.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm really looking forward to the update. Now you will be able to send dwarves on missions from your mountain home, and artifacts will now be created in the world for you to collect, or get robbed off.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's one of the more irritating "features" of Dwarf Fortress (beside the re-animated wool and frozen human blood rain in certain bioms): migrants are dumping their baby on the edge of the map and rush to the fortress. The baby then crawls slowly to the entrance. In this case while leaving a trail of vomit. Finally the brat got picked up by its mother...
YcyA0Dh.png

2g9Q4cF.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a way to get Dwarf equip gauntlets and boots without having them to replace their complete outfit?

For some reason my Dwarves are okay with putting on chest pieces, helmets and stuff like that over normal clothing, but gauntlets and boots ... no way sir.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
what this diagram doesn't mention is that they won't replace their shoes they alreay wear with their high boots. SO in the end you're forced to select "replace clothing".

Perkel

Arcane
It is annoying armor system bug that is not fixed since ages. You need to use replace option and then switch back to that previous option. If you don't and you lack some piece of clothing they might wear your armor but they will run without clothes etc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
My current dwarf run has been very interesting. Usually not much happens in my games, there has been a serious lack of FUN! in the latest patches. But damn, this time. I have been invaded like 10 times now with pretty huge armies. What was interesting here some of these armies had dwarves in them, like a whole company. I have had werewolves, at least 7-8 forgotten beasts and one of them was webbed that screwed everything up. I even had a dragon come by that set the whole forest on fire. I'm not sure what is going on in my game, but I have this feeling that the apocalypse is raging outside my walls. No liaison has come for ages, but human and elven traders still come by from time to time. I do get immigration so there must be something out there. I recently had to lock down the outside part of my fort - too many casualties. I guess I won't be getting much more information for a while. Another thing that is going on is that there has been a lot of fighting within too. Like once the whole army group went berserk and killed off 70% of the children. No idea what that was about. You would think that would be a crime but nothing was filed under "justice".

Anyway really fun run so far.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm also getting random bursts of violence every now and then. And "Urist has become enraged" messages. I can only assume that this can end in violence with a certain likelyhood. Once I've save-scummed to see if those sudden fights are kind of pre-determined, but nope. Pretty random.

Today I had a very classic DF moment. A dwarf died by sock. In this case, because a troll has beaten him to death with it.
eoTnE6P.png
The troll could reach the dwarf because he jumped down a cliff. And this is one of the lastest (well, by DF standards) changes I really like. Trolls can jump down a level, zombie elf archers can climb and a 1- level wall is not the perfect defense anymore. And yes, I know that almost everyone can climb now. But still.

Speaking of randon outbursts of violence. After one of my surviving weaponsmiths got beaten by the outpost liason, he drowned his sorrows in the tavern and drank himself to dead. As did my other weaponsmith. And a farmer. Damn, this tavern killed more dwarves than the zombies of the local necromancer(s).

What I like about my current fort is that the aerial view of the blood and vomit spots, trails and wider areas kind of tell what is going on.
PV8pfFv.png
The big rectangle is the outer area of the fort. The dark, roundish area in the center of it is vomit from my cave-adapted military. Usually I let them gather there before I let them venturing forth.
The dark area in the right corner of the fort is the vomit around the trade depot. And of course the wide path of vomit leading to it.
The spider-web like structure is vomit from my cave-adapted haulers. They usually end in pools of dried blood (the spider web, not the haulers) caused by some dead camel which was killed by other re-animated camels. Bloody necromancers.

This is so far my favourite map.

- no trees => no death by fps due to growing like weed multi-tile trees
- kobolds (fucking finally. Thought they were gone for good)
- elves and humans
- necromancers (re-animate the outside world and not the garbage in the fort like evil biomes)

And I especially like the sieges of the undead. Those are proper sieges. They can take months or years if you don't do anything.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah undead areas are pretty fun, and like you said the sieges are brutal. Whatever you do don't build any moats and fill them with water. Zombies don't drown. I had zombies crawling and climbing around in the moat and scaring the shit out of everyone that was trying to work :)

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I tried water-filled moats only once in the beginning of my DF career. They froze over during winter, the trolls walked over the ice and kicked in the front door.

My current fort keeps delivering fun. Most times I ignore forgotten beasts, as nothing good can come out of fighting them. But why not.
Then, within a few seconds, my 30 soldiers (10 hammer lords, 10 axe lords and 10 spearmasters) were dead.
xXP4kIq.png
The beast basically had one attack: a bite in the head. I never saw so many heads sailing of in an arc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
My forgotten beast nemesis is the ones that have a webbed attack.

Balor

Arcane
Yea. Once completely immobilized and helpless, you dorfs can be one-shot at leisure. Pretty realistic, too.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My forgotten beast nemesis is the ones that have a webbed attack.
Yes, the aforementioned beast was one of those.

The next FB was a giant cockroach with fire breath which was quickly killed.

Next, a desert titan arrived in the shape of a giant one-eyed pigeon. With fire breath. The pigeon smashed the head of a dwarf into his neck, leaving an unrecognisable mess. He was dragged into the hospital, but died shortly after. The dragon-pigeon didn't make another kill.

Not long after that, a hydra arrived. The description of the beast highlighted the 7 heads and the biting attack. With the previous head-biting-massacer in mind, I hoped for the best. The military was fully stationed and the hydra came closer. And suddenly a single speardwarf ran to the next wall, climbed up and started to attack the 7-headed menace. Fuck yeah! That is the way dwarf fortress legends start! Then the hydra bit him in the head and shook him until the head sailed off in an arc. He was the only casualty.

My current fortress is old enough for the initial clothes to rot off. Fortunately, some don't care.
ZoryTEm.png
To be fair, he is not completly naked.
MUyWoR4.png
The description of the amulet is the usual monstrosity when a dwarf created an image of one of the fortress' garbage aretefacts.
hvF08r3.png
But it is, in an OCD kind of way, good to know that the amulet and the image were both exceptionally colored.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always thought that the performance drop of aging forts is mostly caused by multitile trees which are growing like weed. And of course too many dwarf might be a factor as well. But my current fort doesn't have a single tree on the surface and I had my 50 FPS with 100 dwarves in the first years, but after a while the FPS still dropped to 30 and lower.
My FPS problem started with the construction of water and magma pumps and other defence measurements. I found a hint in the bay12 forum which mentioned that channeling might have an impact on the overall FPS and that reclaiming a fortress might solve this issue.
I gave it a shot and bam, FPS are back to 50+. So apparently DF "just" doesn't update its internal structures when you dig or channel. Which is a real pitty as it is what the WHOLE BLOODY THING is about. I guess it's not very likely that this will get ever fixed, but at least reclaiming is a workaround which might help.

I'd recommend to use DFHacks' "lair" command which avoids item clutter (items stay where they were). Beside a few glitches like "reclaimed barrels and bins have to be moved before they can used again" it's working fine.
Before you abandon your fortress, you should kill all FBs on the map, though. Otherwise you might have some early extra fun. One dwarf already lost his head :/.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I've seen it before when losing fortresses to FPS death. Even killing every single creature on the map and using all DFHack measures, you just can't get back the FPS. Do a reclaim and it's suddenly decent again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Never tried that trick. Doesn't the game spread out all your stuff all over the place when you reclaim?

And water seems to be the a real FPS killer. Tried to fill a channel and FPS dropped by 20-30 while it was filling but went up as soon it was done.

Perkel

Arcane
Lel you should try building fort near huge river or ocean. FPS death from start.

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Never tried that trick. Doesn't the game spread out all your stuff all over the place when you reclaim?
Yes, by default it does. Thanks to DFHack you can avoid this by setting the "lair" flag before you abondon the fortress. Then on reclaim, all items are where they were, with the usal reclaim limitations.

Balor

Arcane
Looking forward to more and better bugs! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom