Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official 'dex Dwarf Fortress Thread

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Look actually mouse control, notifications, animations, new music. Holy shit bois. I am scared for next few years of my life when it comes. Or next month until i realize that you can't make big fort because fps death.

This guy look like dwarf himself

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
IS there any reference to the whole FPS death thing? Are they attempting any sort of multi-threaded optimization this time around?

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
any sort of multi-threaded optimization this time around
That would require a complete engine rewrite, which would take even longer, than it took to get to this point (especially since it's a one man project, and the author doesn't use version control), so that is beyond fabulously optimistic. To combat FPS death one can upgrade his CPU (single core speed and IIRC DF likes a lot of cache, mainly L3), get a system with fast quad-channel RAM (DF uses very large data structures in RAM (like the creature and item index vectors), which get bigger the more dwarves or items you have in your fortress. There are limits to how much data one can pull in or out of a memory read or write at a time. Very few CPUs support quad channel tho) and utilize DFhack to keep stuff clean, dump worn clothes and shit like that. Don't produce thousands of crafts, atomsmash everything that is not being used, there are even mods that simplify materials and stuff to keep the load lighter.

Perkel

Arcane
From what i gathered the single best thing you can do to DF is to get ultra low latency memory. Toady talked about it and he says that the single biggest issue with DF is that there is so much data shuffling that each nanosecond is huge.
One dude on DF forums had DDR3 system and he switched it to DDR2 (older DDRs have better latency) and FPS improved lol despite slower processor.

But yeah multithreading could offload other important stuff like pathfinding, temperature tarcking etc which also hammer FPS.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The problem with development speed is mostly down to Toady and Threetoes fucking jizz into each other's asses and other gay incest shit. Those guys are a really queer sort.

I mean, think about it, 2 autistic brothers, 1 apartment, zero girlfriends. Solve that equation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom