Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Neal Hallford and Betrayal at Krondor Sequel Thread

Stabwound

Arcane
The thing is, Shroud of the Avatar was never designed as a Kickstarter project. It's been well under development for at least a year or two and he's just now using it as a promotional tool and to gain some extra funds, really. Games that are specifically crafted as a Kickstarter project appealing to fans of games that have been in short supply obviously have been doing phenomenal. Avatar was just thrown on there for publicity. The game was going to come out regardless of how the KS performed since he already had millions in private investment.

We've really went off the rails on this thread.

majestik12

Arcane
Torment is significantly above Ultima in gog sales

2qBX78u.png

Well, the only highest-ranked game not covered by some Kickstarter Spiritual Successor is Arcanum. I see what you did there with your steampunk setting, mr. Halford ;)

Stabwound

Arcane
I have no idea of the sales figures GoG gets so maybe those lists mean nothing. But I'm surprised Arcanum is so high up on that list. I thought it was basically worshipped here and not so much anywhere else.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Maybe the association with Fallout? I bought it after finding out about it through lurking here. You're right though, it hardly ever gets brought up in any best RPG discussions outside of here.

majestik12

Arcane
I have no idea of the sales figures GoG gets so maybe those lists mean nothing. But I'm surprised Arcanum is so high up on that list. I thought it was basically worshipped here and not so much anywhere else.
GOG sales say nothing by themselves. But I guess this order is rather representative of comparative popularity levels of the games in question.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think success or failure of a BaK spiritual successor would depend on who's writing for it. That's what made BaK stand out imo. Sure it had couple other things going for it like a fairly open world, good encounter design and combat system; but it was really the cool story that made me keep playing and not need to take a break after yet another encounter with Mordhel Assasins. Hell, just reaching the next little village would reward me with cool flavor text and sometimes material rewards as I explored it house by house.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Welllll if you know who neallios is, i think your concerns about that can be assuaged Sergiu64

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Nice. I thought this failed, but looks like something's moving in the right direction.

Edit: and then I read this...
"* OVER THE SHOULDER VIEW - Although the original game was a first person viewed game for exploration, I want the player to be able to see their character as they level up and get cool new gear. What's the fun in getting all that cool new stuff if you can't see your character wandering around in it?

* TABLET BASED - The first adventure will be created for iPad and Android based tablets. If the tablet version does well, then a sequel/expansion of the concept will be developed for PCs and/or Consoles."
Read more than just the OP. nealiios (Neal himself) has since stated in that thread that he's now aiming for PC, and PC only.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nice. I thought this failed, but looks like something's moving in the right direction.

"* OVER THE SHOULDER VIEW - Although the original game was a first person viewed game for exploration, I want the player to be able to see their character as they level up and get cool new gear. What's the fun in getting all that cool new stuff if you can't see your character wandering around in it?

* TABLET BASED - The first adventure will be created for iPad and Android based tablets. If the tablet version does well, then a sequel/expansion of the concept will be developed for PCs and/or Consoles."
Read more than just the OP. nealiios (Neal himself) has since stated in that thread that he's now aiming for PC, and PC only.

Highlights? I can't bother reading through the whole topic :rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm sure the game will be completely different and much better now that'll be on PC even though the initial design plans were for tablet game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Highlights? I can't bother reading through the whole topic :rpgcodex:

You can search a thread for a user name. That actually works pretty good.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sure the game will be completely different and much better now that'll be on PC even though the initial design plans were for tablet game.
"initial design plans" were an off the cuff conversation he had.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Keep reading that thread...

How about someone changes the OP so people don't have to keep explaining it to others who decide skip the rest of the thread

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop in and give you the update I promised. I've been working heavily on the world building this past week and I'm pleased with the general shape of things, though I've got a lot more to do before it's even remotely pre-Kickstarter presentation ready. As you might imagine, I've had to greatly expand the scope of what the game will cover now that we won't have the tablet as a restriction, so busy, busy, busy. Rome was not world built in a day. ;)

I've also had a number of conversations with potential team members who are going to help create our Kickstarter demo. Unlike a lot of the other projects that have launched of late, I'm very determined that on day one of our campaign, you're going to see SOMETHING from the actual game. Maybe it's just exploration, maybe it's really, really, really early combat. I can't say yet because until I've got butts in chairs slaving away for me, all else is hyperbole. I don't want to say "it will be exactly X, or Y, or Z" until I've got a reasonable chance of delivering X, Y. or Z. But I will say you'll have a lot more than a pencil sketch, and more than just a video of me sitting in a chair talking about how AWESOMELY MIND BLOWING this project will be. You guys want (and deserve) more than that before you commit to the Betrayal at TBD train, and I'm going to do my best to live up to my end of the bargain.

Of course with all of the above said, it's going to take a long time. The campaign won't launch this month, and likely it'll be more like six months before we're anywhere close to being ready enough to even think of firing up the game's crowdfunding. But the promise I WILL make is that before it even goes to Kickstarter, I'll be in here with details to share so that I can hear what YOU guys have to say.

NOW

On to another topic that I'll probably start as a seperate thread, but I wanted to share it here first. As some of you might or might not have been aware, I was the appointed loremaster for the Wildman campaign from Gas Powered Games. Had the game funded, I would have been the guy not only creating the story, and dialogue, and worldbible for everything, but I was even on the block to write a tie-in novel for it. I was mondo jazzed about the prospect because not only was I going to be working with some of my favorite devs again (I worked with them on Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander), but after twenty three years of working in the biz, I was finally going to have an official excuse to write a novel. Except, of course, the campaign failed, and there went my income for the first half of the year. KAPOOF! So then I began thinking about what I was going to replace that with, which is where the Facebook discussion on my wall about Betrayal at TBD came from in the first place. Of course I knew I couldn't spin that up very quickly, which meant that I'd need something else I could develop much faster without having think about game engines, and I DID already have my mind set on writing a novel, so....

In a couple of weeks I'll be kickstarting my first novel. I didn't want this to be a shock to all of you because from an outside perspective I don't want you to think that I was in any way, shape, or form dropping the Betrayal project. This is a smaller project that plays to what I'm best known for --- i.e. storytelling --- and it doesn't require a team of people wrangling up sketches, unity demos, and play mechanics before a campaign. People get a fun fantasy novel out of it, and I can keep the lights on, the roof over my family's head, and food on the table as I both work on the book and on the design needed for Betrayal. (And I know you're thinking a book and a game at the same time? Madness! But I've done it before. I created all the narrative assets for Dungeon Siege while I was also writing "Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games". And I simutaneously did the writing/design for Lords of Everquest while also writing for Champions of Norrath. So this is familiar territory.)

Since this is a GAMES forum and not a book forum, I'm not going to muddy this up any further talking about the book details other than to say it will be a fantasy story that combines magic, adventure, court intrigue, and espionage in one novel. If you're interested in keeping up with it, just follow me or send a friend request on Facebook as I'll be launching the novel campaign from there.

In the meantime, as you might imagine, I have a MOUNTAIN of things to do, so I probably won't be doing daily check ins here, but I'll be back in a week or two to give you an update on how things are progressing with collecting my Betrayal team.

Best,
Neal

Stabwound

Arcane
It sounds like you've done your research: you're going to benefit well from having something of material to show in your KS campaign. If you do this right you're going to do well, and it sounds like you're on the right track with taking fan feedback.

I have no personal interest in a novel (well, actually I might depending on the concept) but I can't fault a man for wanting an income. Good luck with everything. :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey nealiios, I'm just, you know saying... if you want to save some time on designing a whole system, which would surely free up time for other things, there's a completely free one right here with as much depth as you'd like:

www.d20pfsrd.com

And it's totally open for use!

Just eh... just use it neal. Just please fucking make your game party-based and use that system Neil. Please, Neil. For the love of all that is holy. I will single-handedly pledge 500$ whole American dollars to your Kickstarter-campaign, and I litterally have no money, so I'll have to rob someone. But I swear to God that I will.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Hey nealiios, I'm just, you know saying... if you want to save some time on designing a whole system, which would surely free up time for other things, there's a completely free one right here with as much depth as you'd like:

www.d20pfsrd.com

Just eh... just use it neal. Just please fucking make your game party-based and use that system Neil. Please, Neil. For the love of all that is holy. I will single-handedly pledge 500$ whole American dollars to your Kickstarter-campaign, and I litterally have no money, so I'll have to rob them someone. But I swear to God that I will.

Can't make any promises regarding the system, but I'll take a look at what's there. And it will ABSOLUTELY be party based, as was the original BAK. :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

www.d20pfsrd.com

Just eh... just use it neal. Just please fucking make your game party-based and use that system Neil. Please, Neil. For the love of all that is holy. I will single-handedly pledge 500$ whole American dollars to your Kickstarter-campaign, and I litterally have no money, so I'll have to rob them someone. But I swear to God that I will.

Can't make any promises regarding the system, but I'll take a look at what's there. And it will ABSOLUTELY be party based, as was the original BAK. :)

I am excited for your game regardless, and I'm glad you decided to focus on the PC. I also don't mind half-way OTS, half-way ISO or anything concerning the camera. Just make me a deep, story-driven, party-based, tactical RPG, and I'll be happy.

But Pathfinder, nealiios. Pathfinder would make me (and a lot of others - Excidium and VentilatorOfDoom, come represent bros) motherfucking ecstatic. Did I mention it's like D&D but tons better and FREE? I'm not sure if I did. As in, it costs no money, and you can do with it what you wish?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But Pathfinder, nealiios. Pathfinder would make me (and a lot of others - Excidium and VentilatorOfDoom, come represent bros) motherfucking ecstatic. Did I mention it's like D&D but tons better and FREE? I'm not sure if I did. As in, it costs no money, and you can do with it what you wish?

That's a bit disingenuous, Grunker. The 3E SRD is free too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom