Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Neal Hallford and Betrayal at Krondor Sequel Thread

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
UPDATE: This is most likely going to be PC, not tablet-based. See the discussion ITT starting from this post by Neal Hallford.

In case you don't already know, Neal Hallford is now thinking about making a new Betrayal at Krondor, though it might not be quite the game you think... as Neal writes on fb:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've begun preliminary brainstorming on a new "Betrayal". It will not, I repeat NOT, be set in Feist's universe. Nor will it be set in the Antara universe (which neither I nor any of the rest of the original BAK team had anything to do with.) This will be an all new universe, using many of the play mechanics of the original game, but adding in a few new twists that take advantage of the advances in graphics and interfaces that have been made over the past twenty years.

What shape would this new "Betrayal" take? Here's where I'm starting:

* RPG - It can't be Betrayal if it isn't an RPG. Like the original it will be largely skill based, though we may add classes to the game as the player advances, giving them specific skill trees they can climb if they want to gain bonuses.

* STEAMPUNK UNIVERSE - This first adventure will be in a remote outpost of a Victorian-esque empire. It's not our Earth, but much of it will seem very familiar. It will be to Earth's Victorian era what J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth was to Medieval Europe.

* MAGIC and TECH - You betcha. We'll have both. Part of the appeal of this game is that you're a BUILDER. Inspired somewhat by the first-ever RPG I ever designed, you'll craft your tools, whether they are magical or mechanical. A big part of the fun in this game will be watching your "creations" come to life. If you go the steam route, you build increasingly cool mechanoids to serve you. If you go the magic route, then you're like Victor Frankenstein, using flesh warping capabilities to create your monstrous servants. One way or another, at one point or another, you get to scream "it's alive! alive!"

* A DEEP, RICH, AND EVOLVING STORY - If there's anything that most of you know about me, you can expect the same kind of great storytelling that we delivered in the original Betrayal. I was, afterall, the person who actually wrote the original storyline along with all the dialogues, so what you got from BAK, you'll find here as well. What will be different, aside from the Steampunk setting, is that this game will not be strictly linear.The player will have several choices in how the game evolves. Not necessarily choices between abstract ideas of "good or evil", but the player will develop factional relationships that will influence of the outcome of events in the game.

* HAVE A PARTY - In the first game, the player will start with one character who is the focal point of the story. They will then meet other characters that can join the party, or they can simply build up their golems or mechina to back them up in tight situations.

* TIME STOPPED OR TURN BASED COMBAT - I'll either go with the turn based combat of the original Betrayal, or I may go with something like the original Bard's Tale which allowed you to pause at any point during combat so you could actually plan your battles. The major upshot being that we allow the player to be as strategic in battle as they wish to be.

* OVER THE SHOULDER VIEW - Although the original game was a first person viewed game for exploration, I want the player to be able to see their character as they level up and get cool new gear. What's the fun in getting all that cool new stuff if you can't see your character wandering around in it?

* TABLET BASED - The first adventure will be created for iPad and Android based tablets. If the tablet version does well, then a sequel/expansion of the concept will be developed for PCs and/or Consoles.

* STEAM/LINUX/MAC/PLATFORM OF CHOICE - We are starting, as I said before with tablet, but there's nothing stopping us from delivering this to people's favorite platforms OTHER than the practical fact that it takes time to develop each SKU. If the first tablet concept works, then absolutely we'll expand to other places.

* PHASED DEVELOPMENT - The first step in Betrayal's development will be the creation of self-enclosed adventure that introduces the universe and some of the basic play mechanics. This will be a tablet based game. Because of the limitations of the tablet, we won't necessarily be able to get in all the features we want in the first title, but we should at least be able to begin to explore the ideas. Our first Kickstarter campaign will be to fund this first exploratory phase. If the tablet game is successful, and we get positive reactions from players, we will then advance to a full PC/Console title which will expand and elaborate on all the mechanics which were successful in the tablet version, plus taking us further into the world. The tablet version will likely just be the first act in the larger story that will be told through the PC/Console title.

* TIE INS - If people get sufficiently excited about it, we may also shoot for a tie in comic book, novella, or maybe even a web series. It'll be up to all of you to help me decide whether you want that stuff or not.

So...want to take this adventure? Would you be willing to back something along those lines? More to the point, would you like to help BUILD something like this? I'm going to need artists and programmers to help me make this happen, so if any of the above excites you, drop me samples/links/etc to neal@swordsandcircuitry.com. I'll need a dedicated team who can give me blood, sweat and tears for about a month so we can create the pitch materials for the Kickstarter campaign. I can't pay any of you for the pitch, but IF the campaign is successful, I'll have work for at least six to eight months for at least four to six people. Maybe more if we hit stretch goals. But first, I have to get funded. And to get funded, I need you.

Who's with me?

------------------------------------------------------

I'm in.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
* TABLET BASED - The first adventure will be created for iPad and Android based tablets. If the tablet version does well, then a sequel/expansion of the concept will be developed for PCs and/or Consoles.

Damn, it sounded so good before I got to this point.

Still looking forward to it, though, especially if it manages to make it on the PC.

* OVER THE SHOULDER VIEW - Although the original game was a first person viewed game for exploration, I want the player to be able to see their character as they level up and get cool new gear. What's the fun in getting all that cool new stuff if you can't see your character wandering around in it?

Over the shoulder view in a party based game? Something like Dragon Age with the camera zoomed in, I presume?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Leaving aside the "see cool gear on your cool self" part, it sounds good.. until tablet based. Seriously, how much money is he expecting to get from the casual crowd? And no, I'm sorry, I will not be buying another tablet just to be able to play his game because mine is not powerful enough.

Gondolin

Arcane

No.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Popamole forum is too good for tablet trash. I choose to interpret the lack of a dedicated mobile forum as an interdict on any discussion. :rpgcodex:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't care if Halford wants to make a tablet game, but calling this a "sequel to BaK" is a fucking disgrace both to himself and BaK..

:killit:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's funny, I read the first couple of points and I started drooling. Two more points and I was fapping furiously. Got to the time stopped combat and every point thereafter was pure major decline.

Goddamnit Neal. Et tu?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't blame him for wanting to make a tablet game, they can be very successful and supposedly easier and less expensive to do than on PC. But with that said:

:keepmymoney:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
* STEAMPUNK UNIVERSE - This first adventure will be in a remote outpost of a Victorian-esque empire. It's not our Earth, but much of it will seem very familiar. It will be to Earth's Victorian era what J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth was to Medieval Europe.
* TIE INS - If people get sufficiently excited about it, we may also shoot for a tie in comic book, novella, or maybe even a web series. It'll be up to all of you to help me decide whether you want that stuff or not.

No thanks.

Stabwound

Arcane
The chances of this not being shit are astronomically low. As far as I'm concerned BaK was a fluke. Has he done anything else noteworthy?

Oh, I just noticed it's tablets only. I therefore drop the chances of it not being shit to non-existent. Fucking moron. Yeah, fans of BaK are definitely today's tablet gamers. This won't even get funded, move along.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
As far as I'm concerned BaK was a fluke. Has he done anything else noteworthy?
He was involved with Tunnels & Trolls and Planet's Edge. The latter's not a bad game. He was also designer on MM3, which was great. BAK is the only game he had more or less full creative control, and it was awesome, so you can see why people liked him. Thief of Dreams was shaping up to be equally good before Sierra canned it. Then he worked on Dungeon Siege so... yeah.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:rage:

Sounded so good at first. :(

E: Change the thread title to something less exciting and misleading.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Damn, it sounded so good before I got to this point.

Still looking forward to it, though, especially if it manages to make it on the PC.

Over the shoulder view in a party based game? Something like Dragon Age with the camera zoomed in, I presume?

On a goddamn tablet? :eek:

Anyway, that's a full derp :decline: Not that I don't believe you cannot make a good RPG on tablet (playing Tactics Ogre now on my smartphone), but the design decisions do not really fit the platform he is concentrating on.

Also, the game not being the actual continuation set in Midkemia is just too painful to bear. I kinda don't like the entire "spiritual successor" thing. Too much namesdropping for my tastes

majestik12

Arcane
I'd love to see a BaK spiritual successor more than anything, but this pitch just does not sound right. Like, AT ALL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom