Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 v5520 (video + commentary)

potatojohn

Arcane
Welcome to Arulco!

Herp derp, I know there's been a couple of LPs of JA2. So why should you watch this?

Well for one it's in 720p video, which are like moving pictures and stuff, and advance by themselves through no effort of your own!! Amazing!!

Second, it's from version 1.13 v5520 v5780, which has a ton of new features.

Third, you get to hear my sweet potato voice.

Quick info: experienced difficulty, NCTH, iron-man mode, rebels only

Anyway, here it is!!

-> Playlist <-

or individual parts:

Part 1 - Omerta
Part 2 - Travel to Chitzena and Chitzena shrine
Part 3 - Chitzena & Travel to Drassen (warning: kind of boring)
Part 4 - Drassen town
Part 5 - Finishing Drassen & questing
Part 6 - Shopping & equipping
Part 7 - SAM site 1
Part 8 - SAM site 2
Part 9 - Cambria university
Part 10 - Cambria hospital
Part 11 - Cambria & SAM site 3
Part 12 - Shopping & equipping 2
Part 13 - Grumm firefight
Part 14 - Mmmmmore Grummmmmm
Part 15 - Tixa Sorta Kinda
Part 16 - Rescuing Ira from space pirates

I hope to update it daily and to be finished before the holidays valentine's day.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
this being part guide, are you going to explain the stuff like the new reticle or other mechanism? The video is good quality btw. The sound is crisp and clear.
I think imma reboot this shit.

Shame you turned off the new food system, I was interested in seeing how this is implemented (hopefully it won't be too annoying to use). I find it fascinating what they put into this mod these days - there's a (or apparently there will be) a way to capture enemy soldier alive now, complete with prisons and possible prison breakouts. Somebody also implemented zombies. Can't wait to see what the final version will look like.

Sigh. They don't make games like this these days.

zeitgeist

Magister
Shame you turned off the new food system, I was interested in seeing how this is implemented (hopefully it won't be too annoying to use).
I played the newest version with the food system for a bit a few weeks ago, and it's a nice system that adds a new layer of micromanagement but food seems to be way too abundant due to the fact that you can just purchase it very cheaply whenever you want (from bars or Bobby Ray's), so it just turns into a regular chore that doesn't affect the game that much as soon as you get a solid foothold in Arulco. But that's more of a fault of 1.13 as such (unless you edit the .inis for a much tougher experience and play ironman), so overall I think it's a decent addition.

Good to hear. And while getting food shouldn't be that much of a problem, I do agree that it shouldn't be too abundant. Arulco isn't a post-apocalypse setting, but it is a third world hell hole where starvation is common.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Nice LP, keep it up mate.

Just got a somewhat OT question: About Mortars, what skills other then Marksmanship & Heavy Weapons are important? Been searching around but can't find a straight up answer.

potatojohn

Arcane
Part 3 is up.

I've never used mortars unfortunately, so I don't know what skills they use. Probably strength, since they're really heavy.

Norfleet

Part 3 is up.

I've never used mortars unfortunately, so I don't know what skills they use. Probably strength, since they're really heavy.
Mortars don't really need much in the way of any skills. I typically give my mortars to Garritroopers, who have no real shooting skills at all. Their lack of accuracy does not at all prevent them from racking up mass kills rivalling my front-line team. Mortarman also makes a great scout. You may wonder, "How does a guy so overloaded that he can barely move scout"? Then you haven't heard of the concept of "Recon By Fire".

In any event, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing important controls the ability to use mortars. Dexterity and marksmanship are seemingly wholly irrelevant. Giving a mortarman to an actual skilled shooter seems to be a waste of a good gunman. Accuracy isn't even really important when you can't actually see what you're shooting at anyway, and the explosion is huge.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
My fellow potato, how did you manage to acquire the newest version of 1.13? I used tortoise to download the svn but after copying it onto the Jagged Alliance 2 gold 1.12 it gives me an error, something wrong with facilityTypes xml.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Mortars don't really need much in the way of any skills. I typically give my mortars to Garritroopers, who have no real shooting skills at all. Their lack of accuracy does not at all prevent them from racking up mass kills rivalling my front-line team. Mortarman also makes a great scout. You may wonder, "How does a guy so overloaded that he can barely move scout"? Then you haven't heard of the concept of "Recon By Fire".

In any event, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing important controls the ability to use mortars. Dexterity and marksmanship are seemingly wholly irrelevant. Giving a mortarman to an actual skilled shooter seems to be a waste of a good gunman. Accuracy isn't even really important when you can't actually see what you're shooting at anyway, and the explosion is huge.

Alright, thanks for the answer bro! Think i'll mess around with a couple of mercs and see the result of their mayhem,

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Well, its weird to answer my own question but I managed to fix it. There is apparently some problem with the new prison type facilities so I deleted all 3 of them from facilityTypes xml in Data-113 -> TableData ->Map folder.

Now to see how unstable this build is.

potatojohn

Arcane
No idea. It works for me. Some versions used to crash when examining items but this one seems stable.

No update today. I'm having problems with the counterattack. The enemy forces combine together but for some reason my militia never does, so they're just wiped out (3x 50 vs 20). If I can't figure it out I'll just turn off the counterattack for tomorrow.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Btw, It is just me or the new chance to hit turns our mercs into taliban? Really, auto shots into a group of 6 enemies, none of the bullets even gets close to them. Not to mention that shooting at anybody who is further than like 10 tiles can take forever. And I dont mean with the shitty starting pistols. I acquired some assault rifles, around 64 accuracy and 33 range and I still cant hit shit reliably.

Its not a rant, I read the explanation of NCTH and it sounds resonable, but for now the only viable tactic is to exploit the interupts system. Maybe when I get some scopes and shit it will get better.

Btw, It is just me or the new chance to hit turns our mercs into taliban? Really, auto shots into a group of 6 enemies, none of the bullets even gets close to them. Not to mention that shooting at anybody who is further than like 10 tiles can take forever. And I dont mean with the shitty starting pistols. I acquired some assault rifles, around 64 accuracy and 33 range and I still cant hit shit reliably.
Did you already try aiming before firing auto? Because that''s the only way I can get automatic fire with any degree of accuracy.

potatojohn

Arcane
Part 4 is up. I go a bit quiet concentrating in the battle. I'll try to do better in the future.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Downloaded 5520 as well, I can't seem to repair anything anymore even with a mechanics expert, whats up with that?
nvm its apparently a new "advanced" repair system that can be disabled in the ini

iirc mortars used to be heavy weapons skill, no idea how it is with the new system

potatojohn

Arcane
I'll have to read up on that then.

Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Press ctrl-c to stop encoding
Read error264kB time=17.44 bitrate=1533.3kbits/s
ja2-9.mkv: Input/output error
:x

I'm running badblocks on the hdd, but the LP is once again delayed a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom