Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jaesun moves threads at random.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jaesun has a habit of moving a ton of threads about fun RPGs into general gaming, therefore reducing the ease with which to find new RPGs to discuss. His standards for this are pretty much random: if it's Japanese, General Gaming. If it's on a console, general gaming. Even if we're talking about some hardcore dungeon crawler nobody ever heard of - which is great, because that's how we find new games - he moves it into General Gaming.

I'd back this up with examples but it's just too numerous too count. It happened a ton of times.

We appreciate Jaesun's hard work as a moderator, but if he can't just do his job and instead has to impose "his" definition of RPG ("what I think is an RPG") his thread-moving privileges ought to be suspended.

Respectfully.

Edit: Just to clarify, even if you agree with his decisions, to be honest I think it's more important the most people possible see RPGs discussed than appeasing to your idea of "What is an RPG?". I know I don't always check General Gaming and it's honestly getting really annoying, and has been for a long time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For years debate raged across the forum

What is a rpg?

"Obviously it's the C&C!"
"Filthy storyfag, it's the tactical combat"
"Fuck you noodleheads, the defining characteristic is a party"

One man would change it all

edit: x xenforum sucks, it doesn't accept start time tags. Go to 0m20s.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I might be assburgers but I don't keep a list of this, but it happens too often to count. I can make you a huge list if you like and keep track of it from now on. Example from just today:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/etrian-odyssey-iv-announced-for-3ds.69623/

Thread about a (Japanese) (console-only) Wizardry-style RPG moved to General Gaming. I was under the impression that forum was for anything that wasn't an RPG. This is a good example because a lot of people are interested in old-schooly dungeon crawlers and would miss the thread if they only check RPG Discussion because they are interested only in RPGs.

Other threads that stick out leafing through GG:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-much-me3-will-sell.69553/

Do we even need to debate if Mass Effect 3 is an RPG or not? Like it or not, this is the new shit, and being a new-shit RPG, this thread should be in RPG Discussion. The Skyrim threads were, after all, so this is a rather random place for it to be.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/me3-as-retarded-as-ever.69363/#post-1965802

See above.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...3-skyrim-illustrator-dies.69299/#post-1962343

Fallout 3/Skyrim related, should be in RPG Discussion.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ign-thinks-dark-souls-is-better-than-skyrim.64581/

While I don't think Dark Souls is an RPG personally, it has very strong RPG elements and ought to be in RPG Discussion. After all we used to discuss Deus Ex there, too, and by that logic the same should apply to this game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...akes-good-fire-fuel.69004/page-4#post-1952665

Mass Effect again

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...der-dlc-for-risen-2.69013/page-2#post-1949375

Risen 2, certainly an RPG.

Look, I don't know which of these were moved by Jaesun and which ones were created there, but you can't tell me I am the only one who is annoyed by this. I could do a better job and it's ticking me off.

If you want I will make an enormous list every time this happens again, but I don't see why I have to when it's so prevalent and, as Racofer mentioned, has been an ongoing problem.

Other examples from the past are TONS of SMT (Shin Megami Tensei, a console RPG series) threads, Etrian Odyssey (a DS wizardry-like RPG) threads and other Japanese dungeon crawlers. Doesn't matter if you don't approve of them, they're still RPGs.

Especially grating are Dark Souls threads. Why is this random shitty action RPG thread in GRPG discussion, if Dark Souls threads aren't? http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...f-amalur-reckoning.68502/page-18#post-1959650

Jaesun's reasoning: It's not on PC. So we are only allowed to discuss non-console RPGs? Since when? And because Jaesun says so? The man is getting drunk with power. You need to stop him before he tries to usurp you.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Look, I don't know which of these were moved by Jaesun and which ones were created there, but you can't tell me I am the only one who is annoyed by this. I could do a better job and it's ticking me off.

I basically stopped posting/creating posts at GRPGD because lately everything gets moved over to GG or retardo.

We have Deus Ex HR and Skyrim threads in there, games that are nothing but hybrids of role playing and action games (stealth to some extent). Yet any Bioware game discussion that is not BG1/2 gets moved to GG. Risen 2, as you mentioned, is not in there.

Might as well rename GRPGD to Indie Games Discussion and GG to Mainstream Games Discussion since this is the prominent content on those forums.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
There needs to be some sort of rules for mods so there's consistency in what threads are moved.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
There needs to be some sort of rules for mods so there's consistency in what threads are moved.

Yep. If nothing else, this would (hopefully) reduce the number of shitposts bitching/debating about why/why not a thread was/wasn't moved and we could actually talk about the game in question. Clear consistent guidelines on where action-RPGs, console turn-based RPGs, console/handheld dungeon crawlers, strategy RPGs/ whatever threads should be posted. As it is, the description of General RPG says nothing about it being PC-exclusive.

Just my two cents.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yes Jasede, you are right and others have complained about this, but he seems to not give a shit and so unless his overlords force him to change or demote him, it looks like we'll have to put up with it.

Cassidy

Arcane
If I could I'd move all threads about Skyrim, Amalur, DX:Human Derp etc and weeaboo crap to GG because I think Jaesun is taking it too easily and letting too much crap totally not related to real CRPGs in GRPGD. Which is why I mostly ignore that subforum anyway and will until the release of AoD.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun's reasoning: It's not on PC. So we are only allowed to discuss non-console RPGs? Since when? And because Jaesun says so? The man is getting drunk with power. You need to stop him before he tries to usurp you.

This site has always been about PC gaming. Period.

We could add a subforum: Jasede's Fabulous Furry Fantasy Land of jRPG's and throw all threads there. ;)

as for all of the jRPG butthurt, we have discussed them in GRPGD before, but they were discussed in great length as to why they were good/great cRPG's.

racofer

Thread Incliner

And what defines which games are allowed in GRPGD and which ones get moved to GG?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

And what defines which games are allowed in GRPGD and which ones get moved to GG?

For me, as long as there is actual discussion going on, related to cRPG's (and cRPG aspects) I'll leave it there.

racofer

Thread Incliner

For me, as long as there is actual discussion going on, related to cRPG's (and cRPG aspects) I'll leave it there.
Like the ones pertaining to the cRPG Skyrim, you mean?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I was specifically told, Dragon Turd, and Skyturd are cRPG's and will be discussed in GRPGD.

racofer

Thread Incliner

I was specifically told, Dragon Turd, and Skyturd are cRPG's and will be discussed in GRPGD.
Why those games and not, let's say, Mass Effect? And told by whom?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yeah, the new Deus Ex is more RPG than Skyrim ever could be, but hey, what do I know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe the reason that Dragonturd and Skyturd are discussed there, is that they are prominently displayed and marketed as cRPG's and we can then discuss why they are shit, and how the publishers keep pumping these gigantic turds out, and should just drop the RPG title on them all together.

Something like that.

EDIT: IIRC Mass Effect is not as prominently marketed as a RPG as say Dragonturd is.

Baron

Arcane
Such a newfag. RPGs were all about the Apple IIc until fags got microsoft dicks.

We could all pull out our sparkle dice and Mountain Dew and complain about the decline, or we can move on through the ages and enjoy Wizardry, Pool of Radiance, Baldur's Gate, the majestic Skyrim, and whatever breathtaking RPG next comes out of Poland. Put RPGs in the RPG category regardless of the tech (including the action, otherwise the key category of the site will be a dead boring one).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Only 2 of the threads you identified were moved by Jaesun. The rest (denoted with an *) were created in General Gaming. Given that, what you really seem be asking for is someone to move threads from General Gaming to RPG Discussion.

These are the threads Jaseun has moved out over the last week or so:
I've got no issue with the threads that got merged or those that were retardoed (looks like a couple of troll topics).

So out of that list, there are two threads which I'd question. One is a Japanese type thing for the Nintendo DS and the other appears to be a CRPG (although with potential dubious CRPG qualities). General Gaming has the following description "Talk about any games that aren't CRPG, MMORPG, strategy or adventure. CRPG related stuff goes in the General RPG Forum. The MMORPG stuff goes in its forum. The strategy and adventure stuff go in those respective forums."

Given that, in effect, Jaesun is following that description to the letter and really only messed up when it came to "Of Orcs and Men".

I would consider setting up a forum for AAA titles (Mass Effect, Skyrim, Twitcher) but then aren't sure on what I'd define for RPG Discussion. Is it just for the more dubious / indie RPG stuff and loosely related RPG Discussions (to keep it out of General Discussion)?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Given that, in effect, Jaesun is following that description to the letter and really only messed up when it came to "Of Orcs and Men".

Fair enough. But my reasoning was there really wasn't that much information posted in that thread about the game other than OMG A DEVOPER IS MAKING A GAEM!!!

Is it stats/skill based?

Is it class based (or choose your own skills and define your own character)?

Is it on the PC?

Etc....

I didn't see anything cRPG related in the topic posted.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Clear consistent guidelines

You could say there are. Let me quote from my Sekret Staff Handbook. "Remember: it'll be easier for us to push our agenda if we create an illusion that no good RPGs are being released today. Therefore, except for classic (i.e., old) CRPGs, all good games should be discussed in General Gaming."

(Or you could say that if there were clear consistent guidelines, then the DRAMA would go and the Codex just wouldn't be the same. :P)

real CRPGs

Tell me more.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't see what's wrong with talking about games like Etrian Odyssey and even JRPGs into the RPG forum, it simply makes things clearer when deciding which forum you want to go in. It's not like there are loads of new clearly defined CRPGs to talk about in the first place, so it basically becomes a section where bitter members talk about Fallout or Arcanum for the 1000th time, or talk about obscure DOS RPGs from the eighties to show how hardcore they are. Even if the line between RPG and action game/shooter gets blurred, if it gets presented as an RPG and gets hyped by RPG fans then there is nothing wrong to consider it an RPG.

I think at the root of this is a contingent of members who do not want to play any games with a Japanese art style or think that any such games cannot be RPGs, never want to see/hear about them, and want them away from a section dedicated to RPGs just to fuel their elitism. 1eyedking comes to mind, I remember a fit of his for that Labyrinth of Touhou crawler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom