Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3/Skyrim illustrator dies.

deuxhero

Arcane
http://www.awesome-robo.com/2012/02/farewell-adam-adamowicz-visual-mind.html

Normally I wouldn't care, but 1:there is one very choice quote he used in an interview that sums up post Morrowind Bethesda perfectly that got mentioned in one of the various places using this as a source

"I love Lord of the Rings. It's gorgeous. And so how do you beat that? That's kind of what it came down to. How do you do something really cool in this genre, and have it be original and not ape all of these things?"

Yep, rather than take what makes LotR cool (a world that exists far beyond the needs of the plot) like Morrowind did, you take the superficial elements (Elfs!) like a plagiarist instead.

2: It tells me the guy who did Morrowind is no longer there. WHo was he and where is he now?

Harold

Arcane
I saw the previous thread on this was retardoed (why?) and I didn't get a chance to say:

Serves him right for making super-mutants look like orcs.

Ahh, now I feel much better

Yep, rather than take what makes LotR cool (a world that exists far beyond the needs of the plot) like Morrowind did, you take the superficial elements (Elfs!) like a plagiarist instead.

2: It tells me the guy who did Morrowind is no longer there. WHo was he and where is he now?
Well, Project Lead for Morrowind was
Todd Howard
. No wonder so many codexians praise it to high heavens.
And the Lead Designer for Morrowind was Ken Rolston, the lead creative visionary behind the masterpiece Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

But the Concept Artist that drew those neat loading screens?
Ehrm, the loading screens were p. shitty, as I recall, featuring 2D shots of in-game monster models and stuffies.
The concept art for the game didn't pop up in the game, though, and was pretty awesome. The artist was Michael Kirkbride.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Taste is subjective. Death is definitive. And this is a penis competition ...

Black

Arcane
And he didn't take down toddler down with him.
Pollacks sure know how to die in vain.

Deleted member 7219

Todd Howard
And the Lead Designer for Morrowind was Ken Rolston, the lead creative visionary behind the masterpiece Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Rolston is such a shitbag. I can't believe he had anything to do with Morrowind, since he did such awful work on Oblivion and KoA: Reckoning. Bethesda got better after he left.

Dantus12

Educated
RIP Adam.
Guess some higher force needed someone with a stellar grasp on composition.

People not knowing about a concept artists limits within the final product in the year 2012, and the believe that art is not dictated by asset performance , He delivered the absolute maximum within the material limits given to Him, because materials affect performance in a equal manner or even worse than polygon count, on all platforms.
So many strange believes about games on gaming forums , and so many myths .

Obshitian created "awesome" art after Bethesda provided them a straw to prevent them from drowning in the productive shit they were in, before Bethesda gave them 70% of the assets to recolor and retexture for their "masterpiece" NV.

http://www.adamart08.blogspot.com/

DraQ

Arcane
Todd Howard
It's pretty apparent from how uncoordinated particular aspects of the game were in Morrowind (like premade spells and enchantements completely failing to account for how spell effects actually work), that whoever was there to coordinate the team was busy sniffing paint thinner and generally not leaving his happy place instead. This person being Todd it was still better than the alternative, I guess.

Main concept artist was Kirkbride, though, and he was also responsible for good chunk of the lore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom