Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS

MaroonSkein

Augur
http://andriasang.com/con01o/etrian_odyssey_iv/
The magazine introduces seven jobs, including sword man, medic, dancer, and sniper. This may be just a sampling of the total job list, though.

The game will add a difficulty setting in order to appeal to newcomers. Joining the standard Normal difficulty, players will be able to select a casual mode. The difficulty can be changed at any point during play.
http://andriasang.com/con02c/etrian_odyssey_iv_screens/

344tyr8.jpg

fz5gtk.jpg

It's out on the 5th of July in Japan. America will probably get it at the end of the year. Each of the previous three games was localized in 5 months.

MaroonSkein

Augur
Don't forget to move all Wizardry and M&M threads to General Gaming as well, whoever you are. Can't risk distracting people from discussing real RPGs like Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.

MMXI

Arcane
Don't forget to move all Wizardry and M&M threads to General Gaming as well, whoever you are. Can't risk distracting people from discussing real RPGs like Skyrim and Mass Effect 3.
Why are you so butthurt? This game isn't for the PC.

spekkio

Arcane
^
It's not a cRPG. A game released for PC, created by hardcore PC-centered developers, with hardcore PC RPG players in mind.
Recent examples: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, The Witcher.

Welcome to Jaesun's logic.

:lol:

But TBH I like this current setup:
General RPG Dicksucion: Akshun shooters/slashers without stats + hipster indie shit + ZOMG Obisidian is going to do it right this time + ZOMG new Troika established!
General Gayming: games that actually exist and have gameplay

:thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
^
It's not a cRPG. A game released for PC, created by hardcore PC-centered developers, with hardcore PC RPG players in mind.

I have control on if Dragon Age or Skyrim or the Witcher are discussed in GRPG Duscussions?

I do not by the way.

If I ran this site, all that action game shit would have it's own sub-forum that I would happily ignore, and GRPGD would incline greatly.

Also, I moved this because posting a couple if jrpg shit pictures is not a crpg discussion.

How this continues further however is all up to you all.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
^

But TBH I like this current setup:
General RPG Dicksucion: Akshun shooters/slashers without stats + hipster indie shit + ZOMG Obisidian is going to do it right this time + ZOMG new Troika established!
General Gayming: games that actually exist and have gameplay

:thumbsup:

I have no fist and I must bro!

Jaesun's logic continues to be laughable at best.

Renegen

Arcane
It is, actually. I've played 1,2 and 3. And the game is a direct descendant of Wizardry, and it's not even that animu.

Well this game looks exactly the same as 3. For anyone interested in getting into the series, I recommend 3, or possibly 2. The first two games had a similar class system, with the 2nd adding a bit more to it, and to keep things fresh the 3rd game made a completely new class system, and even allows to dual classes for unique mixes.

From what I'm reading Etrian Odyssey 4 seems to bring a new class system too, more in line with the first two games. It's a shame, 3 has the best class system, for example there's no dedicated healer!

MaroonSkein

Augur
Also, I moved this because posting a couple if jrpg shit pictures is not a crpg discussion.
We don't have a CRPG sub-forum, though, only an RPG one:
102teyp.png

If only PC WRPGs are meant to be discussed there, it should be renamed appropriately. Three new sub-forums wouldn't hurt: one for P&P systems, one for ARPGs, one for JRPGs. All three are liked more by the hive mind than MMOs are, and those have their own sub-forum.

Suicidal

Arcane
I tried EO 1 after I saw some codex people praising these games (but mostly part 3) and it turned out to be pretty good. Main problems with it are that it's too easy (I'm still on floor 4 tho, abandoned the game due to lack of time but will come back eventually), the dungeons are too simplistic and the encounters are too samey. It feels like a (very) dumbed down Wizardry, but let me tell you, any kind of Wizardry-like game is better than Mass Effect, Dragon age, Witcher and etc., and I don't even like blobbers very much.

Best part is that it can be easily emulated on the PC and you use the mouse instead of that DS pen thing so it's practically a PC game so haters gonna hate, go fuck yourselves PC supremacists, etc. I'm very lucky that I'm one of those people who can look past the shitty art style and isn't full of unrealistic standards and expectations so I can actually enjoy something.

made

Arcane
It is, actually.
So why is the title "Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS" instead of "Etrian Odyssey IV announced for PC"? Tell me, please.
What matters is that it's playable on PC, and comfortably so with mouse and keyboard, which is more than can be said about recent optimized-for-gamepad PC titles.

Renegen

Arcane
I tried EO 1 after I saw some codex people praising these games (but mostly part 3) and it turned out to be pretty good. Main problems with it are that it's too easy (I'm still on floor 4 tho, abandoned the game due to lack of time but will come back eventually), the dungeons are too simplistic and the encounters are too samey. It feels like a (very) dumbed down Wizardry, but let me tell you, any kind of Wizardry-like game is better than Mass Effect, Dragon age, Witcher and etc., and I don't even like blobbers very much.

Best part is that it can be easily emulated on the PC and you use the mouse instead of that DS pen thing so it's practically a PC game so haters gonna hate, go fuck yourselves PC supremacists, etc. I'm very lucky that I'm one of those people who can look past the shitty art style and isn't full of unrealistic standards and expectations so I can actually enjoy something.
EO 1 is the blandest but things get tougher and more interesting as you progress into lower levels.The way the game brings challenge is with FOE, and bosses every 5 levels or so. Also, floors do generally try to introduce more traps and surprises but it's at a slower pace, there are a ton of floors.

I have to admit I also never got deeper in any of the games beyond floor 10 or so, but if you want more complex dungeoneering, I recommend Shin Megami Tensei : Strange Journey. From reading message boards, EO can be viciously difficult later on and you need to pick the right builds, a protector for example is a must. You can make things harder by not using him. Or just play EO3 where character builds are more important than ever as each class is unique, you can dual class and must make use of synergies well.

MMXI

Arcane
It is, actually.
So why is the title "Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS" instead of "Etrian Odyssey IV announced for PC"? Tell me, please.
What matters is that it's playable on PC, and comfortably so with mouse and keyboard, which is more than can be said about recent optimized-for-gamepad PC titles.
Almost everything is playable on the PC. I don't think that should matter.

Suicidal

Arcane

EO 1 is the blandest but things get tougher and more interesting as you progress into lower levels.The way the game brings challenge is with FOE, and bosses every 5 levels or so. Also, floors do generally try to introduce more traps and surprises but it's at a slower pace, there are a ton of floors.

I have to admit I also never got deeper in any of the games beyond floor 10 or so, but if you want more complex dungeoneering, I recommend Shin Megami Tensei : Strange Journey. From reading message boards, EO can be viciously difficult later on and you need to pick the right builds, a protector for example is a must. You can make things harder by not using him. Or just play EO3 where character builds are more important than ever as each class is unique, you can dual class and must make use of synergies well.

Oops, did I say floor 4? I meant dungeon 4, that desert part with green elves that cast curses on your party making them kill each other, and I'm on the 4th or 5th floor there IIRC, so I guess I'm pretty close to the end. I've heard there are 5 or 6 dungeons in the game.

I run a party of only 3 chars focused on survivability as a result I get a lot more XP for each member than in a party of 5 so I think my chars are overleveled for the dungeon floor they are on. Bosses and those angry empowered monsters stopped being a problem since the end of dungeon 2 (most of them, some are still a pain to deal with). Yeah I have a protector in my party, I had a feeling I would need him when making my party. Prot on 1st row, archer and healer in the back.

It takes me a long time to kill powerful monsters (especially those with high physical defense) but my party is very good at staying alive so I simply outlast most encounters, unless they hit my protector like a truck. But in the last floors of dungeon 4 the empowered monsters started traveling in pretty big groups so that's kinda hard to deal with atm.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We don't have a CRPG sub-forum, though, only an RPG one:
102teyp.png

If only PC WRPGs are meant to be discussed there, it should be renamed appropriately. Three new sub-forums wouldn't hurt: one for P&P systems, one for ARPGs, one for JRPGs. All three are liked more by the hive mind than MMOs are, and those have their own sub-forum.

There is an entire forums for such discussions, It's called Site Feedback. Feel free to express your RAGE over no jRPG titles being discussed in GRPGD. Or I could just move your post there.

spekkio

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I moved this because posting a couple if jrpg shit pictures is not a crpg discussion
AFAIK EO games are not jRPGs. Anachronox and Torment can be considered, but EO is a Wizardry clone (dungeon crawler).
Or maybe you mean "animu" + "not on PC" = jRPG?
Yeah, I forgot - gaming is all about graphical style and platform supremacy. At least on Codex.

TripJack

Hedonist
NO GUISE jaesun is right this isnt an rpg discussion

I mean compare this to some of the high quality thread OPs on page 1 in grpg forum:
Just discovered it today. Are any of you guys gonna buy it? I heard has a pretty impressive development team.
So I'm about to leave the second level of Shattered Lands, the one in the sewers, and suddenly a Dragon appears.

img

What the hell is this? I've checked the manual and faqs and nothing mentions this shit at all. WTF

NOW THAT IS RPG DISCUSSION RIGHT THAR

Anyways I have only played 1 and part of 2. They are pretty good games. They can get brutally difficult without the right party composition though. And weeaboo has nothing to do with it. The character design is animu shit but that's it.

spekkio

Arcane
Bunch of weeboos ganging up on Jaesun. How quaint.
This.

Stop right there, criminal scums, or some Prince Stomper is going to nail your ass!

Also: define RPG and jRPG yo nigz.

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom