Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Antagonist

Liturgist
Overweight Manatee said:
You hardly need an optimal character. Since the effect of stats scales off the higher you get (except magic damage, oddly), more then 30/40 in an attribute gives very little advantage.

The stat tables I've seen show that you get the most out of a skill in the 30-40 range and still get a decent bump in the 40-50 range. After that the benefits level off dramatically for most stats. So getting as far as 50 in your chosen weapon stat is not that uncommon in most builds I know.

IMO, restarting the game just to change around a few stat points is the height of lunacy unless you are super serious about PvPing everyone.

It doesn't take actually that long to build a new character once you are familiar with the levels and know where the good farming spots are. My hardest character to build was the mage guy who spreads his points rather thin for most of the sub 90 levels and therefore is hampered compared to many other builds (but becomes god-mode later on as others have noted). And yes, PVP was one reason, being a perfectionist the other. ;)

Antagonist

Liturgist
Valley of Defilement is not for the faint of heart and has the most WTF-inducing end boss of the game. ;) I'd rather do to the other worlds first and come back once you've reached a decent level. As already noted, there's a mirdan hammer at the beginning of the second part of Valley of Defilement (5-2) if you plan to use one. Good luck getting past the two giant depraved ones in 5-1 though. :P

CrimHead

Scholar
Antagonist said:
Valley of Defilement is not for the faint of heart and has the most WTF-inducing end boss of the game

Coolest boss music, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTAQ0C0EISA

The Maiden and Garl Vinland made me feel really fucking depressed for what I did as a demon slayer in their world. Quite an accomplishment for such a gameplay driven experience. Just goes to show the lengths good atmosphere can accomplish. You don't even have to go full storyfag to elicit strong emotions from the player(not that I have anything wrong with that particular brand of faggotry)

Anyway, 5-1 is easy, provided you take it slow.

5-2 was definitely one of the hardest stages in the game, I thought. Boss was piss easy though.

Also, (speaking of piss easy):
I just beat the game.

The fuck is up with that end boss? Kind of a disappointment.

I guess the False King is kind of the "real" end boss.

I can respect a game that doesn't feel the need to make every boss battle a grueling test of skill and is free to simply let characters be as they are. Overall the game simply doesn't have good boss fights at all. I believe the developers recognized this and wisely went with a boss that would make a meaningful impact on the player rather then be a frustrating grapple with the at times annoying controls and combat system.

5-3 was excellent. 5-2 was a nervewracking trek the entire way. Going into 5-3, the player is left expecting an even worse area. In a way it is a worse area for the player, being forced to kill a saint who only tried to ease her people's suffering along with her honorable bodyguard. A touch of bitter irony at the end there, that the Maiden in White had to die so that you could give her soul to the Maiden in Black.

The ending was merely a formality. You had just defeated Allant in his full demon form. Without the souls he had he is a petty mockery of a person. I'm very glad there was no stupid fighting of the Old One just for the heck of it. I mean, it is a god. The way it was handled was much better than the standard fighting for a while then after 'killing' of a boss an NPC runs in, says the boss can't die, and ending cutscene ensues crap that we have usually come to expect. The Old One was truly an eldritch horror in every sense of the word and the entire game was merely you gathering souls to sate its hunger for the time being.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Playing Demon's Souls furiously and goddamn, the game requires a lot more repetition than Dark Souls. I'm in 3-2, turned the first tower off, freed Yurt, went to the swamps, back to the central tower again and got killed by the black phantom. Now I have to go ALL THIS WAY again from the start. Frankly, I prefered the bonfire spacing in Dark Souls instead of the "the whole level or nothing" approach. Could anyone tell me, is it really true that no shortcut opened?

An amusing thing happened. After finishing 3-1 I decided I'd help someone fight the boss and left me summoning sign at the beginning of the level. I saw the "you're being summoned" message, but then "you're summoned as a black phantom"
which was a real wtf moment. You people who played the game can guess what happened :D I killed the Old Monk but got killed a second after. I still have no idea what's going on :D

I usually dont care about console exclusives but Demon Souls and Dragons Dogma.... :rage: japs. Iam too poor to have a ps3 and a semi decent gaming pc. Fuck those jap faggots who make good games as console exclusives. Fucking port Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen at least. (Demons souls ip with sony iirc)

Sadly I cant afford $200 ps3 just for couple of games.

Any idea when a PS3 emultor will be out?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
:lol: Don't count on their being a PS3 emulator anytime soon. Or ever.

PS4 comes out in Nov so the PS3 will be dirt cheap by then. And if you get a PS Plus account you get full access to a whole bunch of PS3 games to play freely, Demon's Souls is one of them. Not sure about Dragon's Dogma, but maybe eventually. They add new games to the service all the time, and Capcom will probably want to drive up interest their PS4 game Deep Down by putting DG up.

DefJam101

Arcane
The ultimate lack of a PC port is a damn shame. DeSouls is a fucking modern classic, more so than DaSouls even if that one's more popular.

Alchemist

Arcane
Think of the PS3 as a blu-ray player / media streamer that also plays Demon's Souls. That's the way I justified the purchase and it was well worth it. There are some other good games on there too.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing Demon's Souls furiously and goddamn, the game requires a lot more repetition than Dark Souls. I'm in 3-2, turned the first tower off, freed Yurt, went to the swamps, back to the central tower again and got killed by the black phantom. Now I have to go ALL THIS WAY again from the start. Frankly, I prefered the bonfire spacing in Dark Souls instead of the "the whole level or nothing" approach. Could anyone tell me, is it really true that no shortcut opened?

An amusing thing happened. After finishing 3-1 I decided I'd help someone fight the boss and left me summoning sign at the beginning of the level. I saw the "you're being summoned" message, but then "you're summoned as a black phantom"
which was a real wtf moment. You people who played the game can guess what happened :D I killed the Old Monk but got killed a second after. I still have no idea what's going on :D

Ehehe Old Monk summoned you to help him there, you shoud've killed the player he was facing there.
Did that with my ridicluously overpowered characters a few times, poor bastards never stood a chance :)

Actually I dont have too much of a problem buying retail DeS and Dragons Dogma as new ones are like $22 a piece here.. but $280 (with taxes) hit for a ps3 :(
I actually dont own a tv or have cable, no family staying with me for that matter. So I can't rationalize bluray player media streaming...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
:rage: I just opened the 'shortcut' by turning off the second tower. I could see how I was supposed to go back. But I used a sword to hack down the dredglings. so when the final gargoyle assaulted me, instead of firing a Soul Ray into its face, I hacked my way into the boundless depth below. And, of course, it's impossible to get to the point where I died from the Archstone without going all the way round again, which I'm not doing. 10000 souls lost. And of course, fully my fault.

I like this game ;)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Still can't decide if I like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls more.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
To be honest though the DBS is a pleb weapon in PvP. Anyone could be good with it since the radius of the weapon is so ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom