Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the rights to Torment (but not Planescape)

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Yesterday we reported about Colin McComb's recent blog post, where he hinted at some kind of Planescape: Torment successor on the horizon. In fact, it appears that certain individuals were aware of this news over two weeks prior to that. Sadly, our pleas for more information were met only with cold, cruel silence.

Enter notorious Codex stalker spy Roguey. A search for "Torment" on the website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office turned this up:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who is this Roxy Friday, you ask? Take a look at this article back from inXile's casual gaming days:​

Twelve trademark applications that include the phrase “with friends” have apparently been filed on behalf of Brian Fargo, the CEO of inXile entertainment.​

While the trademark filings are public, it took a little sleuthing to link Brian Fargo to the applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, which include “Dominos with Friends”, “Sudoku with Friends”, and even “Crosswords with Friends” among the list.​

The applicant for each record is Roxy Friday, LLC, whose active officers include none other than Brian Fargo.​

Well then, the plot thickens! Keep in mind however that these rights are for the title "Torment" only and do not include the Planescape setting, which belongs to Wizards of the Coast. Colin McComb intends to follow up on his original blog post with more information about this topic, so stay tuned.
    Grief, domisPL, Unorus Janco and 23 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]
    Monkeyfinger and jiujitsu Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  4. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Well, this is fairly interesting - although I must admit I'd be more interested in another game based on the Planescape setting rather than the Torment IP, since the latter came to a pretty conclusive conclusion in PS:T.
    Dexter, mondblut, Excidium and 1 other person Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted
    Q3, 2014:

Torment: The Adventures of The Nameless One & Friends.

Coming to a Gamestop near you.
    Mother Russia Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  6. Diablo169 Savant

Diablo169
    I'd rather Obsidian had it to be honest.
    Dexter, Jaesun, Hormalakh and 6 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well, I'm fairly sure this will end up as another inXile-Obsidian coop project.
    TeknoBM, SuicideBunny, Executer and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    I think it's fair to call Roguey both a stalker and a spy.
    Curious_Tongue Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  9. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Right, so what exactly is this except the license to name a game "Torment"?
    Does it include the right on the characters (which were not directly taken from PS, of course) and the story?

Whatever anyway. Do not care for Torment Eternity.
    ^ Top  
  10. Primordial Soup Nazi Learned

Primordial Soup Nazi
    Brain Fargo really seems to want to make up for lost time in the cRPG genre.

:salute:
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Nothing, probably. Hopefully Colin's next blog post will reveal more of what he has in mind.

^ Top  
  12. bussinrounds Learned

bussinrounds
    Exactly. Get the Planescape license.
    ^ Top  
  13. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    I love the 'Dex :kfc:

Also apparently Colin's commented but his reply "awaits moderation"? What is this faggotry? :rpgcodex:

Why? I mean, other than "Obsidian has MCA". Studio is just a studio, isn't it more important who gets to work on it? Maybe that's just me though. I'm pretty impressed by the team inXile has been putting together, including a name or two to make the Dex do the fangirl squee thing.

I agree. But as mentioned in another thread, isn't Planescape retired? If and whens are nice. But if it's gone, it's gone.

Though even MCA's noted he'd do a spiritual sequel to Torment without AD&D. I kinda get that.
    Infinitron Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  14. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    My, the Codex is now a prestigious "investigative" magazine. :obviously:
    Dexter, kentable, Kattze and 3 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  15. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Yeah, if it's not characters either, then what the hell does it have to do with Torment?

Well, he's certainly not taking any freedoms. :roll: Personal story... as opposed to what? The other millions of personal stories?

Hurray! Random story called Torment to cash in on the name! I always wanted that!
    Shannow and Cabazone Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    planescape.jpg

In theory, the trademark 'Planescape' is available to register through the patent office (all previous entries are expired because they haven't been extended) . Unfortunately, the ownership of trademarks depend on more than this official registration.
    Konjad Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Cipher

General Maxson
    This is good news! :bounce:
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Agent Roguey, you have a new mission. :smug:
    Marsal and CrustyBot Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  19. l3loodAngel Savant Patron

l3loodAngel
    Yeah just imagine Fargos moral dilemmas + scientists + PR Bullshit + no substance = Majectic!
    ^ Top  
  20. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    So...eh...do you actually get off on being arbitrarily reactionary about pieces of news which could actually be good news? I don't get it. What's in it for you to be you?

P.S. Crissakes, Roguey...just apply to the goddamn CIA already.
    ^ Top  
  21. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    interesting. What can they do with Torment but not the planescape setting?
    ^ Top  
  22. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  23. l3loodAngel Savant Patron

l3loodAngel
    If whoever owns the IP will not get a talented team working together, it's purpose will be similar to EE, but with a fitting name on it.
    ^ Top  
  24. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Nothing in my queue. JarlFrank and Ventilator mods news section so either he will have to wait for them, or spam in other parts of the forum. :D
    ^ Top  
  25. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Yeah, but I have honestly more confidence in MCA, Ziets and Fenstermaker to write this sort of thing (which probably won't happen at InXile).

Including having already proven they are capable of doing so with Mask of the Betrayer. Looking at the credits of InXile's writers (regarding CRPG) not so much except for Colin.....

Edit: Nothing against InXile, of course. Just saying.
    Lockkaliber Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  26. UnknownBro Learned

UnknownBro
    Great finding, kudos to that. :obviously:
    Personally I'm not a storyfag so... meh.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)