Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 6 left!)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb on What's Next: A New Torment RPG?

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Click here and disable ads!
    ?

At Troika there were plenty of Fallout devs

and

After Troika Tim has been working on an MMORPG for like 6 years so I don't really get what you're saying here.
    ^ Top  
  2. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag

Deuce Traveler
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I have to say that Planescape: Torment is the CRPG that I loved the most out of all the ones that I have played. But I can't feel excited about a sequel unless it deals with one certain character. I want to play the continuing adventures of Dak'kon after the Nameless One's journey to hell. Dak'kon still had a journey of self-discovery surrounding the lore of Zerthimon. If I can play as Dak'kon the fanboy in me will squee.
    ^ Top  
  3. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~
    so wait...he acquired the Torment IP but doesn't have the DnD stuff secure. How does that work?
    ^ Top  
  4. Alex Arcane

Alex
    Not that I think Moribund is right, but to be fair, at least Guido wasn't trying to.
    ^ Top  
  5. darkling Educated

darkling
    Interesting!

If McComb is involved, I'm certainly interested in whatever is happening. Avellone is swell, but McComb co-wrote the book he worked from. His take on a sequel to PS:T would be something cool indeed.
    ^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    What PST did was set the player into a fucking bizarre world, and tell a very deep personal story.

None of the original characters need to return (that tale is already told), but if that formula is used again, with great story and new supporting characters that could be pretty cool. We ALL want to romp through Sigil again, because that setting as presented in PST was just utterly fascinating and enjoyable.
    ^ Top  
  7. l3loodAngel Savant Patron

l3loodAngel
    Project: Eternity
    I agree, but I want Vhailor to return so badly. I think he was the most original and enjoyable character ever.
    Deuce Traveler Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    Actually, the two former employees that have joined Black Isle joined many weeks after Black Isle became an entity again. By that time all former BI employees had already bashed it. MCA did correctly say at the time that BI had no one he knew, because at the time it really didn't.
    ^ Top  
  9. Cosmo Erudite

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Planescape setting was just "bizarre". Yes it was but it was also extremely rigorous and systematic in its own way. While remaining wild, fantastic and bizarre.
    And beside being a convenient, thorough (and coherent !) way to link everything TSR had ever done, it had also its own, irreplaceable flavor that frankly i cannot help but sorely miss. That and Birthright.
    ^ Top  
  10. TheCatsofSanktPetersburg Learned

TheCatsofSanktPetersburg
    One of the factors that influenced the creative direction behind PS:T was the teams choice to avoid RPG cliches or turn them over their head almost to the point of satirizing the genre in the same way Spec Ops: The Line did for the military shooters of our day.
    Cabazone Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  11. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    This is incorrect. Chris Taylor and Mark O'Green have been at Interplay for years, working on FOOL. It took a while to "announce" they were on BIS, but MCA should have known they were at Interplay, and it's not like BIS is actually a new studio. We all knew they were, though DaC presented it as news for some reason.

Frith knows why they're still there though

Well, speaking very generally here, intellectual properties like these are separate. If I look at - say - this novel of Planescape Torment by Ray and Valerie Valesse, it notes Planescape and Torment as separate trademarks. Remember when Interplay gave all of AD&D back to Atari, but they retained the rights of "Dark Alliance". Torment's rights history is less public. When I found out what happened to the rights I was like "huh. Interesting".

Just realize this does mean, in fact, using pretty much just the name. Kind of what happened to Bard's Tale and could have happened with Wasteland if EA had been less cooperative. You can make a new Torment game, but as far as I know you can't use the content from the original, including characters coming back. TSR still owns Githzerai, after all.

Planescape is factually discontinued anyway, no? I mean, I know Sigil still exists, but if you did an AD&D: Torment 2 now, I don't think they'd offer the use of the same kind of planescape setting. But maybe I'm mistaken.
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Spill the beans, NOW :fight:

I wonder about that. Remember Icewind Dale? Chronologically the plot of that game was pre-Time of Troubles, ie, during the the timeline of first edition AD&D.
    ^ Top  
  13. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 9 Patron

skuphundaku
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    That's what I know as well. The Wikipedia article on Planescape says "Upon the release of 3rd Edition, Planescape, along with most other settings, were discontinued, although fan sites such as planewalker.com were allowed to continue to use the material and update it to the new edition. The 3rd Edition Manual of the Planes, the 3.5 Edition Dungeon Master's Guide, and the 2004 Planar Handbook also used the general layout of the planes and some of the details from the setting, including Sigil, but these are not part of the Planescape line. Similar material has surfaced in 4th Edition rulebooks, as the Dungeon Master Guide 2 includes a section on Sigil. All Planescape materials are out of print."
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Roxy Friday, eh?
    http://fusible.com/2011/08/brian-fa...les-12-with-friends-game-trademarks-secretly/
    ^ Top  
  15. ironyuri Arcane

ironyuri
    Wasteland with Friends, coming to an iPad near you.
    almondblight and Roguey Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Ahahahaha. Brian, you sly dog!

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  17. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Oh noez, this well-kept secret is now uncovered.

Yay :dance:Can't hide from the 'Dex, Brian.
    Infinitron Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  18. CMcC Developer

CMcC
    I'll put up a post later about the relative importance of Planescape to the Torment story, but right here I'll say that WotC has little apparent interest in licensing Planescape. I first approached them in February, and it became clear early on that they didn't seem very interested in talking to me.

That's okay, though. Other, equally cool options exist.
    Outlander, Azalin, bonescraper and 19 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  19. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Unsurprising. Sad, but unsurprising, given the status of the setting and the weirdness of AD&D licensing in general of late.

Codex, meet Colin McComb. Colin McComb, meet Codex. They'll alternately hate you passionately and love you desperately. Depends on the day of the week, really.
    Charles-cgr, mondblut and skuphundaku Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Give this man a developer title!
    mindx2 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  21. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Hurry, before he stops posting here because you're all fucking nutjobs!
    ^ Top  
  22. ironyuri Arcane

ironyuri
    Hi, Drog.

Newfags gonna newfag.

Edit: [​IMG]

:hmmm:
    amidoinitrite?
    Charles-cgr, MaskedMan and almondblight Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  24. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Depends if you're joking or...
    ^ Top  
  25. ironyuri Arcane

ironyuri
    Have you ever considered that Brother None might also be a sophisticated Drog-alt?

WE'RE INSIDE THE INSIDE JOKES NOW, THROUGH THE FUCKING LOOKING GLASS HERE
    tuluse Brofists this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)