Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Fallout: let's grill this sacred brahmin

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude made thread, replied to a couple of serious posts to widen the playing field, and now pops back only to push mustawdbuttons & ignore the rest.

At least he's playing it straight by the books.
I never made the thread, and there really isn't much to say. We've had this discussion before, and I'd rather not rehash the same shit. You're right, there really hasn't been many games that do the same thing as Fallout. My actual problem with Fallout is the content of the game, which as you said, would be a different debate that many people have already had. I will complain about the combat, the uninspired opening towns, the lack of dialogue that's actually interesting (at least in the beginning. Didn't make it to the end), and an art style that's abysmal. People will counter by saying, "combat is fun, I like watching people blow up, towns are great, and dialogue is fine". I'm not sure what kind of a dialogue people are expecting when we simply have different opinions on what constitutes "good" combat and "good dialogue".
Keep ignoring all the other shit, that'll make it go away. You know exactly what I'm saying, and you haven't denied being an overweight loser once.
Dallas Cowboys game starts in less than an hour. I'm just finding things to pass the time at this point.
And he likes the Cowboys. Figures.

Mustawd

Keep ignoring all the other shit, that'll make it go away. You know exactly what I'm saying, and you haven't denied being an overweight loser once.

Meh. You don’t really know anything about me. I don’t know anything about you. Personl insults don’t really bother me. So I really don’t care what you think. I’ll discuss whatever I feel like.

Cowboys are great. Grew up watching them in the 90s. Also enjoyed watchig them with Tony Romo. One of my favorite games was a great comeback against the Bills on MNF. Romo threw like 3 INT, but he recovered to bring them back. There was even a 4th quarter onside kick that they recovered and Romo drove them down the field for a game winning field goal.

Too bad it’s 3rd and 26 now on their first drive.

:negative:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FO1 and FO2 are essentially perfect RPGs, and in the case of FO1 it serves as the best singular graphically modern representation for the entire genre by presenting nigh perfect writing and design, with Wizardry as the 2nd offering in order to showcase how to make mechanical systems work and dovetail with each other.

If our alien overlords ever return to see what we have been up to and asked for a night's entertainment those are the games I would present to them as a testament of our prowess in escapism.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Everything other than the one intended option (if there is one to begin with) results in "nothing happens" or some retarded wannabe lulzy messages anyway, so what's the point? You can't heal a lock, hack an NPC or pickpocket a computer. As for looking on everything, RPGs had that option since 80s.

What you call "freedom to choose" is nothing but the busywork of figuring out which one option actually does something - except that it is obvious to begin with. Dunno, I'd rather save on some needless pointing and clicking and have the game choose "heal" or "repair" or "pick a lock" contextually for me.

I fully agree with this. Busywork is busywork. Removing busywork is thus encouraged. Your game isn't a more "hardcore RPG" because it has pointless busywork: it's, in fact, a worse game. That said, Fallout has its fair share of hotkeys that quite often render the interaction menu pointless. For instance, by being able to quickly choose Science, Lockpicking, Medicine, and other skills.

Since I'm at it, I will also adhere that Fallout (not so FO2 or Arcanum) is essentially a perfect RPG. Sure, the combat could be better done but it's a single-man RPG so I'm not sure how much could be improved on that end, but other than that the writing, music, aesthetic (all the way to the interface), even the plot (which, although not exactly amazing, it has a really memorable intro and ending), are some of the best I've seen. By comparison, Arcanum had a few too many skills, considerably worse combat, poor balance, rather repetitive music, and the ending was fairly disappointing in plot and execution (which is sad, considering the plot was very engaging). Still in my top three of what I expect RPGs to be. New Vegas could complete the top four if it wasn't so disgustingly easy to the point of rendering the RPG elements superfluous (jsawyer changes this quite a bit, but GameBryo is still cancer). Planescape: Torment is great but the combat is a mess, and I'd rather not all RPGs follow such a story-heavy template.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
I woulnt call it really important but Arcanum does it too. And a lot of other Fallout things too, Arcanum basically takes them to the next level. Frankly FO is great but its fortunate that Drog cant get his shit together and fix Arcanum.
Arcanum's problem is that it places too many mandatory combat areas on the critical path (Black Mountain Mines, Hardin's Pass, Thanatos, Vendigroth Ruins, The Void). Very not Fallout, which makes it more disappointing.
All of those are skippable in some way except the Void and even if you have to go through them there are always non combat solutions just not for every build.

Master

Arbiter
Everything other than the one intended option (if there is one to begin with) results in "nothing happens" or some retarded wannabe lulzy messages anyway, so what's the point? You can't heal a lock, hack an NPC or pickpocket a computer. As for looking on everything, RPGs had that option since 80s.

What you call "freedom to choose" is nothing but the busywork of figuring out which one option actually does something - except that it is obvious to begin with. Dunno, I'd rather save on some needless pointing and clicking and have the game choose "heal" or "repair" or "pick a lock" contextually for me.

Since I'm at it, I will also adhere that Fallout (not so FO2 or Arcanum) is essentially a perfect RPG. Sure, the combat could be better done but it's a single-man RPG so I'm not sure how much could be improved on that end, but other than that the writing, music, aesthetic (all the way to the interface), even the plot (which, although not exactly amazing, it has a really memorable intro and ending), are some of the best I've seen. By comparison, Arcanum had a few too many skills, considerably worse combat, poor balance, rather repetitive music, and the ending was fairly disappointing in plot and execution (which is sad, considering the plot was very engaging). Still in my top three of what I expect RPGs to be. New Vegas could complete the top four if it wasn't so disgustingly easy to the point of rendering the RPG elements superfluous (jsawyer changes this quite a bit, but GameBryo is still cancer). Planescape: Torment is great but the combat is a mess, and I'd rather not all RPGs follow such a story-heavy template.
I disagree... Arcanum is the better RPG(and also the best) but Fallout is the better game of the two. For now.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Dude made thread, replied to a couple of serious posts to widen the playing field, and now pops back only to push mustawdbuttons & ignore the rest.

At least he's playing it straight by the books.
I never made the thread, and there really isn't much to say. We've had this discussion before, and I'd rather not rehash the same shit. You're right, there really hasn't been many games that do the same thing as Fallout. My actual problem with Fallout is the content of the game, which as you said, would be a different debate that many people have already had. I will complain about the combat, the uninspired opening towns, the lack of dialogue that's actually interesting (at least in the beginning. Didn't make it to the end), and an art style that's abysmal. People will counter by saying, "combat is fun, I like watching people blow up, towns are great, and dialogue is fine". I'm not sure what kind of a dialogue people are expecting when we simply have different opinions on what constitutes "good" combat and "good dialogue".
Dallas Cowboys game starts in less than an hour. I'm just finding things to pass the time at this point.

Cowboys have not been good since the 90's. Oh this is a Fallout thread? Fallout is Ded and best RPG ever. Close thread.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shut up ItsChon
Did you know that mustawd. makes enough money to pay for your college in less than a year? You should be sucking his dick to get his money so you don't burden your parents anymore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shut up ItsChon
Did you know that mustawd. makes enough money to pay for your college in less than a year? You should be sucking his dick to get his money so you don't burden your parents anymore.
In that case, would you send me 10.000 dollars mustawd. ? It would really help me to buy a new flat (at least to get the loan). I would be greatful.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jacob

lytrMRs.png

Citation provided.

Mustawd

Shut up ItsChon
In that case, would you send me 10.000 dollars mustawd. ? It would really help me to buy a new flat (at least to get the loan). I would be greatful.

Sure. Is $10 a lot in Hungary? Also, I make more than $10,000 in two months. Net.

Why are we talking about my salary? It’s typical upper middle class. I’m sure some other older tards make more.

Cowboys have not been good since the 90's.

They’ve been good for sure. Just not playoff good. Speaking of which, they lost today and the offense looked awful.

:negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shut up ItsChon

Sure. Is $10 a lot in Hungary? Also, I make more than $10,000 in two months. Net.
You and your decimal points/commas! :argh:

Cael

Arcane
It's not a right-click menu, but Wasteland does this.
Which one? 1? Because I can't remember being able to do any of sort in 2 when I tried it on free weekend.
Black Angel you haven't played any RPGs before 1997, as you have written. For this reason have missed the golden age of cRPGs. But you still have witnessed the silver age of cRPGs and that is good. Therefore stop posting immediatly, go to GOG.com buy the Ultima series from 4-7 and Wasteland (1) and play them. After playing this games come back and you will understand some people here on a different level. Also this new found perspective will give you insight into the greatness of Fallout 1 and 2.
Parasite Eve also has a lot of descriptive text about mundane things, most of it pretty snarky, a real contrast to Aya's outward uber-polite demeanour.

Cael

Arcane
Obligatory Fallout grilled Brahmin referrence:

Alice

"Alice is Max's sister. The two of them used to practice barbecuing brahmin with a flamer. Eventually they realized it would be easier to kill the brahmin first. Strong and stupid."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom