Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

almondblight

Arcane
• three best tactical turn-based games (Jagged Alliance 2, ToEE, Silent Storm)

KotC combat mops the floor with PoR combat

And is poo compared to Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm.

Eh. If you really think ToEE is up there with JA2 and Silent Storm as one of the best three tactical turn-based games, but that KotC is "poo" in comparison, then I'm guessing you never actually played KotC.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura, you dont like any, any at all, rpgs made before 1995?

hired%2Bguns.jpg

(Amiga version, ofc.)

Eh. If you really think ToEE is up there with JA2 and Silent Storm as one of the best three tactical turn-based games, but that KotC is "poo" in comparison, then I'm guessing you never actually played KotC.

Again, there is a yawning chasm separating Jagged Alliance 2 from ToEE. That I group a trio as "best" in a bullet list doesn't mean that I weigh them equally. I have crystalized JA2/ToEE virtues better than anyone. ToEE absolutely destroys KotC on every single level; it is a top 5 all-time RPG.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
What if when these supposedly "classic" games were made my dad was busy learning how to code on the one pc we had for 10 years (not the same pc....but the only pc)? And I had to make do with console trash? And my dad got a better job and improved my family's lot because of it? But he still hogged the pc because that was his job.....

I had to play console games for a long time when you nerds were apparently left to your own devices to slobber over all the best old rpgs....

Now they look and sound like shit to me.....sorry. I never really go to get into the rpg scene until around the 2000s. Should I have kicked my Dad's ass off the pc?...

He did eventually get a crippling Civ addiction that I adopted. Probably should have nipped that in the bud.

So I can never be in your extra-special kool-kids-klub because I didn't have access to your gay old shit as it happened....and now it is too impenetrable to me.

Nonetheless...between the ages of 9 and 14 I had a regular group at my local comic shop that alternated between Marvel Super Heroes RPG and Gamma World every goddamned Saturday. Real PnP shit every fucking week for years....
How many of you can say that?

Cael

Arcane
Nonetheless...between the ages of 9 and 14 I had a regular group at my local comic shop that alternated between Marvel Super Heroes RPG and Gamma World every goddamned Saturday. Real PnP shit every fucking week for years....
How many of you can say that?
Son, holding Marvel Super Heroes RPG as an example of something you played and then throwing down the gauntlet of you having played real PnP for years is... rather ironic. Oxymoronic, even.

Come back when you have played from level 1 to 23 of a multi-year DnD campaign, covering, amongst other things, the Age of Worms campaign, then we can talk, OK?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I didn't have access to your gay old shit

The choice is basically between gay old shit, the core of the Renaissance, and gay new shit.

At 2000, you started about 4 years too late.

In a perfect world, you would have started with Diablo, moved on to Fallout, and then on to Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2.

At that point, you could have safely dumped the genre because "There is nothing more to see here."

I wish I knew that. But hindsight is 20/20. And now, I just blog because of inertia.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
In a perfect world, you would have started with Diablo, moved on to Fallout, and then on to Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2.

Still managed to cover all of that ground in the 1st year I had access to my own PC - in college. And still managed to get straight As.

holding Marvel Super Heroes RPG as an example of something you played and then throwing down the gauntlet of you having played real PnP for years is... rather ironic. Oxymoronic, even.

Come back to me when you've played years of the 80s version MSH RPG. Probably a different animal than the new trash you're thinking of.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I wasn't looking for pity. But you have to remember that PC gaming in your so-called golden age was a very elite hobby.

Talent is evenly distributed....resources....not so much.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What about the encounter design, which I've gathered is considered the main flaw of ToEE? Not important to you?

It's very important to me. Luckily, ToEE combat encounter design is top-tier. People who complain about "tedium" just don't know how to build effective combat units and compose parties in which they complement one another.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wasn't looking for pity. But you have to remember that PC gaming in your so-called golden age was a very elite hobby.

Talent is evenly distributed....resources....not so much.

You assume we played the games when they came out, I effectively started in 91 or 92, and did current stuff as well as working my way backwards into older stuff, and at that time PCs were not super-expensive anymore

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Well....I was 17 or 18 in '91 and '92 and my life was busy with playing in band, doing drugs, and fucking girls.

Yep....at one time in my life for about 10 years I had an actual rock 'n roll life.

Imagine that....

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Still managed to cover all of that ground in the 1st year I had access to my own PC - in college. And still managed to get straight As.

That's good, then. I'm happy for you. So tell us what's been going on lately, if you don't mind. I'm genuinely interested in your recent gaming experiences, if any.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
That's good, then. I'm happy for you. So tell us what's been going on lately, if you don't mind. I'm genuinely interested in your recent gaming experiences, if any.

In and out of gaming....some MMO shit here and there. I had deep love affairs with City of Heroes (I am a comics nerd more than I am any other kind of nerd), followed by Guild Wars 1 PVP addiction. \

Guild Wars 1 had, and maybe still has, the best fantasy combat system I've ever encountered whether single or multiplayer. Guild Wars 2 is absolute trash...end of story. WoW is also a place that I spent a...time...in....it is also trash.

Some PS2 Jrpg nonsense.....the only thing good in that mess was FFXII and it's Gambit system....truly brilliant.

Tried to play the IE games but hated the RTwP. Playing Dragon Age: Origins currently in hopes of finding inspiration to play those older games....but DA:O seems more like KOTOR to me than BG or IWD or Pillows of Inanity. Soo....I don't know....I'll probably keep trying to like those games because I love the art and style of them. And I especially love the wonky, kind of arbitrary, 2nd edition rule-set....for all its flaws.

I got into this site....like so many others because of the new-wave of (mostly shitty) isometric turn-based games. Discovered around the new year when I was playing Wasteland 2 and looking for other similar games.

I love the Shadowrun games because I think they nailed the atmosphere from when I used to play Shadowrun PnP.....the combat and graphics are basic but perfectly serviceable (yes the combat could be much more...I know). I just love that RPG universe....always have.

Anyway....I could go on and on.

I think we're living in a great time for games.....especially RPGs....there are just so many options out there.

I think that's what old-fags have the hardest time with.

For example. Here is my current play-list (meaning I play all of these games for at last a few hours every week):

Battle Academy 1 & 2
Warhammer 40K: Sanctus Reach
Warbanners
Tales of Maj' Eyal
The Forest
Tales of Grimrock 2
Dragon Age: Origins

And I have probably over 100 games on my "to-play" list.

None of them involve going back more than 20 years.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Did you already play Warhammer Chaos Gate? I remember it was a neat X-Com like tactics game without any base management.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Did you already play Warhammer Chaos Gate? I remember it was a neat X-Com like tactics game without any base management.

Nope. Maybe I will....so many games....so many Warhammer games.

As a kid I loved looking at my older, nerdier friends Warhammer miniatures, but I didn't have the dough to get into the game.

For me Sanctus Reach nails the look and feel of the tabletop game...even if the story is super shallow and the A.I. mostly retarded.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Codexers seem to be obsessed with mainstream games and generally ignore indie games

There is a reason people with good taste ignore indie games as a rule of thumb: it's because they're shit.
Small correction, I hope you won't mind since it obviously was a spelling error on your part:

There is a reason people with good taste ignore MAINSTREAM games [made after early 2000s] as a rule of thumb: it's because they're shit.

Lilura said:
Geneforge probably has some of the best faction and C&C around.
Pity the rest of the game might as well have been made in 1987
What does it even mean ? It's a non-argument, just you being your usual autistic self. I won't defend Geneforge specifically but saying that a game "might as well been made in 1987" without any specifics and thinking that you made a point is hilariously retarded. It translates to: "I don't have an argument".

Last edited:

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Yes, yes, yes. You are Wolverine. I get it, bub. Snkt to you too.

I never played pre-made characters. I had a demon....I rolled a straight 88 in the Ultimate Powers Book...his name was Phlegm-Phyre. He threw phlaming gobs of hell-mucus and he rekt....until the new GM decided he was too OP and killed him off the one week I couldn't make it to the game.

FUCK YOU CASEY!!!!!!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lilura is more focused on other people than you, though now I killed the admittedly weak joke

Cael

Arcane
I dont watch super heroes movies...
Too bad. Deadpool 2 is absolutely hilarious. 90+% of the movie is just gag after joke after callback. Deadpool didn't just break the 4th wall, he ground it to dust and then scattered it at sea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom