Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Random thought I had now. It's common to insert foreign words into a language if you are aware that other person also speaks that language to broaden the range of expression, especially if the other language is richer in vocabulary. This is how English came to have so many French words for example. It was also how Turkish came to have so many Arabic and Farsi words. Over time foreign phrases can even infiltrate enough to replace common words and expression, such as "touché" or "vis-a-vis" in English for example.

It might specifically be that the example in Deadfire is uncomfortable because there are two languages used, one is a real world language that works exactly like the real world language, that's English. Then you have a) a completely made up language and b) a real world language derivative. Specifically, the real world language derivative that's vailian combined with real language English makes for an extremely jarring experience, because it expects 3 layers of suspension of disbelief. They could have avoided this somewhat by making one of the in-world languages literally English while having other languages that are made up or derivative. The constant switch of expectation of what you are reading makes it hard to digest and accept.
The problem with Deadfire is that Hispanic speakers constantly say shit like 'di verus' which is frankly kind of obsolete as you can convery exactly the same in English, or call you 'aimica', 'casita' etc. like in some cheap paperback fantasy
Fish speakers on the other hand use their strange lingo the way Poles'd use 'kurwa' in a sentence

Agreed. We only used Spanglish growing up because there were some concepts that didn't translate well. If someone is saying 'captain' they can fucking say captain instead of using the foreign word for it just for the purpose of annoying my main character. :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Calm down there Socrates or you might pop a vein, the man just asked a simple question, not for the secrets of the universe:lol:

Eder is agaisnt everything I do

What a bunch of pussies these companions are, sooner or later they are going to end up like my party from D:OS 2, dead.

I don't really like how the tougher encounters are shown on the map

I hate on board ship fightings, every single one of them has like 15 stacked enemies

Dude the fucking ship mates are useless in combat

This is why no one likes you.

bataille

Arcane
Random thought I had now. It's common to insert foreign words into a language if you are aware that other person also speaks that language to broaden the range of expression, especially if the other language is richer in vocabulary. This is how English came to have so many French words for example. It was also how Turkish came to have so many Arabic and Farsi words. Over time foreign phrases can even infiltrate enough to replace common words and expression, such as "touché" or "vis-a-vis" in English for example.

It might specifically be that the example in Deadfire is uncomfortable because there are two languages used, one is a real world language that works exactly like the real world language, that's English. Then you have a) a completely made up language and b) a real world language derivative. Specifically, the real world language derivative that's vailian combined with real language English makes for an extremely jarring experience, because it expects 3 layers of suspension of disbelief. They could have avoided this somewhat by making one of the in-world languages literally English while having other languages that are made up or derivative. The constant switch of expectation of what you are reading makes it hard to digest and accept.
The problem with Deadfire is that Hispanic speakers constantly say shit like 'di verus' which is frankly kind of obsolete as you can convery exactly the same in English, or call you 'aimica', 'casita' etc. like in some cheap paperback fantasy
Fish speakers on the other hand use their strange lingo the way Poles'd use 'kurwa' in a sentence

Nah, man, it's not the matter of whether the language has the equivalent or not. I work in a bilingual company, and we interject sentences, phrases, or just words in the foreign language in our everyday speech all the time. Everyone does; it just feels right. Rarely can you control what language your mental concepts take shape in, and to maintain rapid discourse you just go with the flow and mix and match the different languages.
If anything, I find Deadfire's depiction of multilingual people very tame compared to what I see around me.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw yes if you have some rep with Valians you can buy crates of adra from them, and also bargain, I secured all for 9k. Good job here Obsidian for allowing more diplomatic approach without rubbing it in as an "obvious" option in your journal like others.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Nah, man, it's not the matter of whether the language has the equivalent or not. I work in a bilingual company, and we interject sentences, phrases, or just words in the foreign language in our everyday speech all the time. Everyone does; it just feels right. Rarely can you control what language your mental concepts take shape in, and to maintain rapid discourse you just go with the flow and mix and match the different languages.
If anything, I find Deadfire's depiction of multilingual people very tame compared to what I see around me.

The issue is not interjecting words and phrases. I also do it in day to day life, the issue is the reason why it seems jarring. That's that they do not use words and phrases as a means of convenience or broadening the range of expression, or even a culture. They just do it for "flair". So it comes of as jarring and rigid as a weeb inserting japanese words while speaking to another English speaker that doesn't speak a single word of Japanese.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn Feargus almost sunk my ship.
That's great, considering he almost sunk his own for a second time, and he still isn't finished trying.

We aren't complaining that they're so successfull in their brainwashing. We're complaining about the "on purpose" part.
Stop "complaining". Everyone knows about it by now.

So, I was chatting up Xoti at the staircase, when out of nowhere... <<Aloth hums approvingly>>:

YkprVrK.png

And mind you he is nowhere to be seen around. Apparently he likes to watch from a hidden spot, like a real Leaden Key boss. This game is getting more creepy by the minute.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

That's what people do in multilingual groups not between monolingual groups.

If I'm speaking english to an American I won't interject Swedish words randomly and for no reason. When Im speaking with my Swedish friends though, who all are fluent in both Swedish and English and regularly use both, we use words from both languages all the time.

Last edited:

mildTea

Learned
Random thought.

I love that everything is expensive. I play already about 40 hours and i am basically Mcscrooge and count every coin i have not spending it any of it because i have some goals on horizon for that money. So i am sailing in my ship covered in birdshit (Betrayed Hylea)

One thing i would love to see would be instant travel in cities. In annoys me greatly when i need to move past 2-3 buildings just to exit current map.

If you just drag those from equiped to inventory on the ship management screen, it will remove the effect. Normal sails and hull will replace those "gifts" upon dragging them away. At least that's what happened with me.

Trashos

Arcane
I am watching a let's play, I am at the point of the introduction that you are sitting with Berath. The introduction is godawful up to this point. Slow, the narrator voice is completely out of place, and the writing is abysmal. I mean, read this shit:

A pale, slender neck rises from the gorget, topped by a hollow face. The milky skin stretched across it is delicate and translucent, like parchment that has been scraped clean too many times.

Hopefully this is going to pick up later, but right now it feels like I am reading fanfiction written by (or targeted to) girls in their mid-teens. I am not trying to be an asshole either, this is truly my honest opinion. Anyway, moving on.

Dexter

Arcane
Is there really any (traditionally)strong male at all in a leading role in this game?
But why even use this lense in the first place?

Why not consider if the plot is worth an analysis, which imo it isn't. Then look for psychologism in the building of characters - which is superficial when it exists at all.

It's all a huge horse before the cart thing. The alarm is false. Because no one can seriosuly push any sort of agenda when he is so inept at saying even the things he is explicitly charged with saying. None of those literary geniuses is capable of weaving an agenda into his writing. The peak of creativity is making your character do gorilla sounds and point to his genitals. Look at me, I can do it with boys and with girls!

Idiots at one side of the isle are getting riled up because they imagine the idiots on the other side of the isle are agreeing with something. Business as usual.
I think you're twisting cause and effect. It's not the players "using this lense", it's the writers and developers. I mean we've basically recently had it confirmed by Monty that they apparently spent weeks arguing about the exclusion of evil huwhytes from Torment: NumaNuma: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ith-monty-markland.120041/page-4#post-5450897 and all it often takes to get insights into the deep thought processes of some of these writers or developers is checking their Twatter and scrolling down for a few minutes, it's not like they're exceptionally adept at hiding it. At some point you have to be either extremely benevolent or willfully blind to ignore that they're trying to push a political agenda with the entertainment they're asking people to pay good money for. It's like looking at Marxist movies or literature till the late 80s while asking to consciously ignore the larger ideological framework and political realities that only allowed those kind works to be made and exist as they are.

Also, the quality of a product often is corresponding proportionally with the kind of writers and developers that can't get over what's between their legs. Trying to push some sort of "empowerment narrative" come hell or high water seldomly makes them the ones able to do any worthwhile, meaningful or complex writing, creating characters with in-depth motivations and goals coming from an advanced understanding of the human psyche, when they can't even manage to imagine that there could possibly be different thinking people aside from the typical Bay area progressives even inside their own country, not to speak of people from around the world (China, Russia, India, Japan, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Africa) that don't think and hold the same beliefs and values that they do or even laugh about theirs (there's for instance a reason why this sort of stuff tends to piss off Eastern Europeans more). And beyond that, they will have nothing interesting or new to say that their prospective audience hasn't heard before by now, likely to the point of being thoroughly sick and tired of it. If they manage to create any sort of worthwhile work, it is most likely despite of themselves or because of someone wortwhile pushing against their influences or doing solid work separate from writing and characterization.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I am watching a let's play, I am at the point of the introduction that you are sitting with Berath. The introduction is godawful up to this point. Slow, the narrator voice is completely out of place, and the writing is abysmal. I mean, read this shit:

A pale, slender neck rises from the gorget, topped by a hollow face. The milky skin stretched across it is delicate and translucent, like parchment that has been scraped clean too many times.

Hopefully this is going to pick up later, but right now it feels like I am reading fanfiction written by (or targeted to) girls in their mid-teens. I am not trying to be an asshole either, this is truly my honest opinion. Anyway, moving on.
the prose is indeed shit and does not pick up
it's a lot easier to write serviceable dialogue so it's not as bad there

Shadenuat

Arcane
Since game doesn't make a difference between a hunting bow and an arquebus to the head when it comes to skellingtons and such, seems like magical implements are best ranged weapons you can have.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but under Controls in the options menu, the "Combat Speed Up" hotkey does EXACTLY the opposite. I set it to F2 and it slows down the combat. "Combat Speed Down" accelerates it.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I wouldn't give myself a headache over the fact people interject words from their own language into conversation when sawyer himself admitted there was no fucking reason for all these fuckers to speak english westron aedyran in the first place.
I don't even mind this or the italian (sometimes french ?) accent of every black dude in the world.
What pisses me off are the broken dialogues scripts. I just talked to the prince, he offered me to work for him, then immediatly said he was disappointed and put an end to our little chit chat (?). So I talk again and here I am, able to tell him what I know about some underground criminality in the slums (??). Neketaka is p. big and much open. I'm not surprised to see this kind of problems rise, especially for a game like this which relies a lot on dialogue structure based on check and scripting. But goddamn it makes the whole thing super messy at the moment.

Regarding companions, I really like what they did with the barks and banters. I'm not sure what whoever means earlier itt by "they only talk 6 times" or something. They have a lot of interjections, which makes the party feel much more incarnated. Needless to say, the fact npcs finally acknowledge their existence with some flavour lines of dialogue (by opposition to the total indifference of the first game) helps a great deal. Also, so far I only met one occurence of romantic inebriation when I had to explain to Tekehu that I didn't want to taste the eel nor ride the shark. Romance-lite game i'm having, coolio.

ps : btw, dispositions are bugged or they're supposed to all fill to the max ? And if so, what's the point ?

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The issue is not interjecting words and phrases. I also do it in day to day life, the issue is the reason why it seems jarring. That's that they do not use words and phrases as a means of convenience or broadening the range of expression, or even a culture. They just do it for "flair". So it comes of as jarring and rigid as a weeb inserting japanese words while speaking to another English speaker that doesn't speak a single word of Japanese.

It's like that old joke: there are people who are trilingual, people who are bilingual, and Americans. I agree 100%; it's crystal clear that most of this stuff was written by people who are only fluent in English. They're getting the cadence of it from American television. The faux-Italian faux-Pacific islander interjections are how non-native English speakers talk on bad police procedurals.

"Dios mio! But officer I am innocent!"
"Merde, you have ze wrong man!"
"Scheisse! You are stubborn, but ve have vays of making you talk, schweinhund.."

It's pretty unrealistic but at least on a TV show it serves a purpose: giving the audience a rough sense of where the character comes from. That's not necessary in Deadfire. I feel like PoE did bilingual characters better (perhaps the only thing PoE did better other than Durance & Grieving Mother), but then again there were a lot less of them.

2house2fly

Magister
Hot damn i am like 40 hours in and i am swimming in quests still and barely scratched 3/4 of map.
According to what I've read from the people on Something Awful who've finished the game, you're about 3 hours from the end
Damn Feargus almost sunk my ship.
That's great, considering he almost sunk his own for a second time, and he still isn't finished trying.

We aren't complaining that they're so successfull in their brainwashing. We're complaining about the "on purpose" part.
Stop "complaining". Everyone knows about it by now.

So, I was chatting up Xoti at the staircase, when out of nowhere... <<Aloth hums approvingly>>:

YkprVrK.png

And mind you he is nowhere to be seen around. Apparently he likes to watch from a hidden spot, like a real Leaden Key boss. This game is getting more creepy by the minute.
Xoti's the successor to Zahua, who also had a dialogue option to ask about why he swears so much when the character doesn't actually swear

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What has become of the Codex? People strawmanning around we'd habe a problem with gay characters just because we don't want our games to be SJW fests? Seriously?
Others weilding the old "Oh, there is no agenda there!"-defense when there clearly is?

And no, that doesn't mean I'm so butthurt I won't play the game anymore.
I still play it. I even like it.

But these anti-anti-SJW retards here should really STOP! posting and start playing instead.
Especially those who haven't even started yet and still dare to say there'd be no agenda. What a fucking moron!
What has become of the Codex? People strawmanning around we'd habe a problem with gay characters just because we don't want our games to be SJW fests? Seriously?
Others weilding the old "Oh, there is no agenda there!"-defense when there clearly is?

And no, that doesn't mean I'm so butthurt I won't play the game anymore.
I still play it. I even like it.

But these anti-anti-SJW retards here should really STOP! posting and start playing instead.
Especially those who haven't even started yet and still dare to say there'd be no agenda. What a fucking moron!

Game is written by sjw and thats is empirical fact.... I dont know is JS sjw but still rest are....

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Super, super curious about sales now. Obsidian just sent me an email saying "90 on metacritic buy the game" despite the fact I already own it. Starting to wonder where it sits on the spectrum of Tyranny to PoE1 in sales performance for Obsidian.

Also the 0.0 duration bug is the only bug that desperately needs to be fixed. Further I go into the game the more legendary weapons that have ??? in their stat page with all those 0.0 durations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom