Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Don Peste

Arcane
"After this we will know if you can make a serious RPG that has blockbuster potential," he [Boyarsky] suggests.
What's more, the game will test whether Troika has what it takes to become a blockbuster studio like Blizzard or id Software.
w9Gd43B.jpg

v4N1tDR.jpg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Is this gaem any good? Every time I did install it I stopped playing it, so I don't know if it is truly worthy or not. And I not stopped playing the game due to it, but because my "playthroughs" coincided with certain things in my life that took me away from videogems a while.

Prime Junta

we poppin' a cherry here

PSA for VtM:B virgins: yes you should play it, yes you should install Wesp's patch (plus patch not recommended for a first playthrough though), yes it has aged well. (Melee) combat is kind of shit and there are some not-so-great stretches towards the end but everything else about it is fucking-A.

groundhog

Educated
we poppin' a cherry here

PSA for VtM:B virgins: yes you should play it, yes you should install Wesp's patch (plus patch not recommended for a first playthrough though), yes it has aged well. (Melee) combat is kind of shit and there are some not-so-great stretches towards the end but everything else about it is fucking-A.

Played it for the first time this year and I totally agree, it's a great game.

The GOG version comes with Wesp's patch already installed (the basic bug fixing version, not the plus patch which also adds things), so you don't need to do anything extra with it. Apart from getting stuck in a door once and a minor intermittent bug when using the taxis, this version worked flawlessly for me on Windows 7.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Is this gaem any good? Every time I did install it I stopped playing it, so I don't know if it is truly worthy or not. And I not stopped playing the game due to it, but because my "playthroughs" coincided with certain things in my life that took me away from videogems a while.
If you like RPGs with high replay value and appreciate games with quality immersion and VA then you should play it at least twice. Go as a Malkavian for your second or third playthrough to see what I mean about replay value.

Some things will be frustrating and/or unappealing. Combat is pretty clunky and there are a lot of bugs even with the unofficial patch. Many of the textures and animations are also clearly dated (not including the dialogue animations, which are great and miles ahead of the hot garbage you see in most modern AAA games).

almondblight

Arcane
It aged well. Playing for the first time last year it was accessible, even for a moderntard. Do it.

Huh? Are there any commercial game from 2004 that aren't "accessible"?

Anyway, the game's pretty "meh", but like a lot of games that are considered classics around here it seems a lot better because it has so little competition.

cruel

Cipher
What is the reason for avoiding Wesp plus patch for first playthrough? Didn't play this yet, curious

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Prime Junta

What is the reason for avoiding Wesp plus patch for first playthrough? Didn't play this yet, curious

Wesp's approach was to add evvvverything that could be found in the files, and a bunch of stuff besides, and some of that stuff was frankly left out for reasons other than lack of time. To pick a minor example, he dug up some VO for lines that were cut out, and when added back in, they make no sense in context, as they clearly reference a scene that was removed completely and isn't present in the plus patch either.

Don't get me wrong, the plus patch is good and adds some really welcome stuff as well, but if it's your first experience of the game you will have rather too many wait, what? moments.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
The plus patch has even an additional quest made only on remarks left in an interview and some half-baked assets found in the files.

It's not a patch, it's a mod.

I was a fan of plus patch, but Wesp went way overboard and nowadays it borders on trash.

To be honest after all these years I can't explain myself why Tessera already finished patching this game, while Wesp still gets to fix new bugs. Does anyone have a serious explanation?

Beside, I would love to shit on gog for bundling bloodlines with the wesp patch.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
while Wesp still gets to fix new bugs. Does anyone have a serious explanation?
Drog says it's because Wesp likes the attention he gets due to bugs. People desperately ask on the forums how to fix their playthrough, and Wesp pops up with some "magical console command" to fix it, and then people praise him like the sun and can't thank him enough. He puts those bugs in on purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom