Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you sure you have a scanned manual and not an OCR'ed one?

Dux

Arcane
Replayed Might & Magic VII and finished it today. It's a perfectly decent game but it's not the most exciting or engrossing game in the world. It's a game that you play and then move on. That's what I felt anyway. There's too much hunting after skill trainers and spells. After you've acquired Town Portal and Fly the gameplay becomes far too bland and loses its shine. Might & Magic VI struggled with the same issues but never on the same level. I'm not shitting on this game but it could've been more interesting, I guess.

Here's food for thought:

Remember the tradition of introducing sci-fi plot twists at the end of M&M games? Ever wonder why the sibling Heroes franchise never really allude to the same kind of universe? As far as I can remember Heroes I/II/III never mentions blasters, space ships or intergalactic travellers, which is strange considering it's basically the underlying premise of the M&M series. I realise that particular aspect is supposed to be esoteric and all that but it's still a bit odd.

T. Reich

Arcane
Replayed Might & Magic VII and finished it today. It's a perfectly decent game but it's not the most exciting or engrossing game in the world. It's a game that you play and then move on. That's what I felt anyway. There's too much hunting after skill trainers and spells. After you've acquired Town Portal and Fly the gameplay becomes far too bland and loses its shine. Might & Magic VI struggled with the same issues but never on the same level. I'm not shitting on this game but it could've been more interesting, I guess.

Here's food for thought:

Remember the tradition of introducing sci-fi plot twists at the end of M&M games? Ever wonder why the sibling Heroes franchise never really allude to the same kind of universe? As far as I can remember Heroes I/II/III never mentions blasters, space ships or intergalactic travellers, which is strange considering it's basically the underlying premise of the M&M series. I realise that particular aspect is supposed to be esoteric and all that but it's still a bit odd.

HoMM is a more popamole offshoot of the M&M series.
However, you should read up on the Forge town in HoMM3.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Dux Heroes III expansion pack Armageddon's Blade was going introduce the Forge, a town with a campaign which would finally blend the Ancients' lore of the RPGs with the Heroes games. Regrettably, the popularity of the TBS saga attracted morons who screeched and even threatened the developers when they knew about this and NWC decided to step back and replaced it with the stupid Conflux. M&M's production is a really sad story since the purchase by 3DO.

Black

Arcane
^That was mostly the reason HoMM fans hated the idea of Forge Town. Because it was so out of the blue as far as HoMM was concerned.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I love HOMM but its fanbase was always cancer.

The MM2 manual typos are funny, I just checked and they're in the PDF that I got from one of the compilations (either M&M Archives or M&M Classics, not sure), so they've been around for a long time. Pretty sure they weren't in the original manual but IDK where mine is ATM.

Ruhfuss

Savant
I completed Might and Magic III Isles of Terra. I started up World of Xeen and noticed that my mouse cursor is disappearing in the upper right side of the screen. Anybody know how to fix this on the GOG version? I am playing with the non CD version not a fan of the voice acting.
I know it's an old question, but while browsing through this thread, I think it's still unanswered.

The issue with the flickering/disappearing mouse cursor in WoX can be solved by increasing CPU cycles in Dosbox. CTRL+F12 until it's alright, note the value after "Cpu speed:" in Dosbox's window caption, then change the "cycles=" in Dosbox's config file accordingly.

I'd ran WoX at 30000 cycles.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Fighting homeless people is a Might & Magic tradition.

13-xeen_01048.png

Luzur

Good Sir
Hi, I want to show you a project I'm working on:

https://www.facebook.com/mm7.fan.remake/

(more screenshots & videos on the facebook page)

I was going to create a crowdfunding campaign to finish it, with no commercial benefit, and just distribute it among the backers. But it appears that I'll will be in trouble, even if it's non profit. I have worked on it full time during 4 months. If I change to do this on spare time, it will die as so many other MM projects.

One thing I could do is change all the portraits, items, spells, shop background videos (hard!). But I don't know if it has any sense, this would take more time & resources, and it may loose the MM feeling.

Asier

Barely Literate
For those who do not know Might and Magic 4-5-Xeen and eventually Might and Magic 3 is being developed in ScummVM as eye of the Beholder was. Maybe in a year or so we will see the game working without the lags and inconsistent mouse speed of dosbox emulation

Ruhfuss

Savant
Lately, I've been playing around with "Ludmeister's Might and Magic 3 - Isles of Terra Monster Spawn Mod". Without knowing anything about this mod any further than what the readme tells, my intended party was:
  • H-Orc Barbarian
  • Dwarf Ninja
  • Elf Samurai (Archer "re-cast")
  • Elf Samurai
  • Elf Samurai
  • Human Cleric Priest
Since the readme states that "a couple of other classes are renamed, but otherwise are unchanged", I wasn't expecting (well, not really) any surprises.

So, next I kicked the Dwarf Ninja because of really low HP and replaced it with a Gnome Ninja instead. The Human Priest also became a Gnome instead, and one of the Elven Samurai was changed to Human - only because of style, because I wanted to use a certain portrait for her.

My observations so far, without nailing numbers, and in no particular order:
  • Humans are so mediocre that there's no point in having one along but for aesthetic/rpg/racist reasons
  • Dwarves seem to be a race intended for spellcasting classes (WTF?!?); they get low(est) HP and high(est) SP
  • H-Orcs still suck as casters and in Thievery, but gain even more HP
  • Elves only gain one HP less than Humans, but noticeably higher SP (haven't tested if higher SP still only applies to arcane casters)
  • Gnomes are the new shit - higher HP and SP compared to Humans, but retain their lower Thievery bonus compared to Dwarves
  • Barbarians start out with the Thievery skill (maybe Ludmeister likes Conan?), with no bonus, and they seem to get even more HP
  • since H-Orcs still are only worthwhile as Barbarians or Knights, a H-Orc Barbarian nets a barrel full of HP (I think it was 29 at L1 with 20 END) and really sucky Thievery due to the racial penalty that still applies
  • Barbarians gain attacks slower now, at what looks like as the same rate as Rangers
  • Ninjas gain attacks the fastest, but still are challenged when it comes to armor kimonos
  • Knights, unless they have some hidden, really crazy to-hit combat bonus or some such, now really suck; they gain attacks slower than some of the hybrid classes, but still can use all weapons and armor (and enjoy while looking pretty in their awesome stuff while the others actually kill stuff)
    • Knights suck so hard that they should've gained a "No love from Ludmeister" award right from the beginning
    • Knights suck even harder than Druids suck in WoX
  • Druids gain attacks slightly faster than Clerics Priests, but still are sucky (screw this, I'm taking Fineous, the Beaconing Waterwalking Keymaster, along anyway - at least he's not a Knight)
  • there are now 3 tiers for shields (buckler/round shield/tower shield)
  • Samurais got all the love; they are hybrid fighter/arcane casters like before, BUT
    • they get to use the highest armor tier
    • they get to use the second highest shield tier
    • they can use most weapons
    • so far, they seem to get the highest increase in attacks/level second only to Ninjas
  • the constant monster respawing makes the game a real grind-fest, with shit-loads of money and gems flying at the party quite early, especially when (ab-)using fountains and knowing the mirror keywords for the later towns
  • some spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt have fixed (reasonably high) casting cost, but still level-scale damage-wise
  • item materials aren't tiered as orderly as before; like some materials now give a higher attack boost, but no or lower damage boost, so obsidian is not the 42 in gearing anymore
  • taking into account the higher bonuses received from a high Accuracy stat, weapons only dealing non-physical damage now seem more worthwhile
  • the Duplication spell is full of surprises in what it can duplicate, really
  • bonuses from high statistics really take off when reaching and going past 50
  • each of the seven statistics can be increased for one point per 2000 gold at fountains in/after "clearing" Fountain Head
    • this is a real chore
I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something in this write-up, but whatever. I'm old, (but) I remember playing MM3 when it was new.

So, what gives? Essentially a "Might and Magic 3 - Asian-themed Munchkin Edition" that to me feels like an early version of Diablo 2 in some ways, and balancing issues taken to the next level. But quite fun so far. I'm also a bit curious as to how a Sorcerer-heavy party would fare. Probably quite good, since it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Sorcerers were better in melee than Knights. Did I mention that Knights suck in this mod?

(So, time to get rid of that dead weight in form of Sir Gallant. Need to find Charity to investigate what happened to Paladins in "MM3 - AtME". Given that they didn't get renamed/japanized, probably not much.)

EDIT/ADDENDUM:

So it turns out that Paladins are even worse fighters than Knights. At least there's some consistency with regard to the unmodded game, I guess. But then again, the Paladin's attacks/level are suspiciously close to what I got for the Druid. The saving grace for the Paladin might be its item compatibility and better spell selection.

With the Paladin also being a disappointment, instead going for the real deal and taking the Priest hireling would be the way to go. But she's so fugly.

So it seems that Lone Wolf has found a new pack.

EDIT/ADDENDUM 2: More observations
  • the maximum bonus from when a statistic is at 250+ is now 50 compared to 20 in vanilla

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Reading this guide or whatever feels strange. MM games are pretty easy,you can beat them with most parties and there is no point to min max. I just pick a standard party without repeating classes and have fun.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yep, M&M1 is very hard until you get 5-6th level. M&M2 is easier because you can farm encounters behind secret wall in the inn of Sorpigal Middlegate and Skeleton Closet.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Yep, M&M1 is very hard until you get 5-6th level. M&M2 is easier because you can farm encounters behind secret wall in the inn of Sorpigal and Skeleton Closet.

I can do the Inn and Blacksmith secret wall and I'm nearly up to the correct starting level of 7 or thereabouts, but I'll be damned if that Skeleton Closet will open...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom