Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Ok let's do this !

411945gridcartographer.png

601.jpg

160880prix.png

vXbWQmm.png

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Jokes aside, where can I download the V3 of Grid Cartographer, it worked fine imo.

It's still possible to do so right ? I don't own a license that serves no purpose at the moment right ? ahah that would be silly !

pippin so there's no way to turn automapping off ? It kinda ruins the design of late game dungeons of MM1. Although these were horrendous to map, that would become trivial, needless to say the map-based puzzle of the very end would blow in a second as well. I mean, who cares, we all checked for the answer as soon as internet could give it to us anyway.

No Great Name

Arcane
I personally used Autorealm for mapping, which is free to download, and just drew everything manually. It might not look as pretty, but it gets the job done. The red dots are points of interest that pop up when you hover over with the mouse.

mm1town00ss6.jpg

pippin

pippin so there's no way to turn automapping off ? It kinda ruins the design of late game dungeons of MM1. Although these were horrendous to map, that would become trivial, needless to say the map-based puzzle of the very end would blow in a second as well. I mean, who cares, we all checked for the answer as soon as internet could give it to us anyway.

Automapping would be nice if it uncovered itself as you went on, but as I said, they are completely revealed, even the dark areas. You also have the locations of everything available right from the start. It's basically having someone giving you their maps with every single detail on them.

Wizardry 6's automapper does the opposite. You have to explore, and when you go into a dark area, the map turns itself off.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Scrooge The website is back up. It was down a couple days because the provider started charging VAT on top of the subscription and I didn't pay the VAT manually. Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for mentionning it!

The game should be much better once rebuilt with the new engine (and more reliable). A question of taste though. The new engine is meant for the sequel but I don't want the two games to be too different so Underworld will be updated (yet again!) Unfortunately I've had a few setbacks, as us indies tend to.

I have Swords and Sorcery Gold or something installed, but I have no idea where I have bought it or which bundle, so I don't dare to uninstall it ever. :lol:

I've uninstalled it many times and there was never a problem. You either got it from my site or Gamersgate. It was never in a bundle.

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld is great work. If you allowed the player the remap keys it would probably double your sales.

Loved this bit:

WrvBVqK.jpg

2aBOiVb.jpg
I saw you post in the Steam thread. Ill squeeze that in. Thanks for the support.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Automapping would be nice if it uncovered itself as you went on, but as I said, they are completely revealed, even the dark areas. You also have the locations of everything available right from the start. It's basically having someone giving you their maps with every single detail on them.
I didn't try the tool with the games directly but I was under the impression it did have the option to fill in as you explore, and saw screenshots that seemed to confirm this, does it not work like this then?

Casual Hero

Augur
I didn't try the tool with the games directly but I was under the impression it did have the option to fill in as you explore, and saw screenshots that seemed to confirm this, does it not work like this then?
Last time I used it, it filled in as I explored, like any normal automap. This was for Might and Magic 3, and 1. It does however still spoil a few things like answers to riddles and things like that, if you read all of its descriptive print. I would say it is still pretty handy. I can confirm that it does map even in darkness though, and this can either be a good thing, or bad depending on who you are.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
After checking my Grid Carto. maps, looks like I was in the middle of book I. So book I it is !
Looks like I've done a couple of lords quests, like the first two Ironfist ones and the first two Lord Hoarder (or whatever his name is) ones. Regarding the main quest, it looks like I was about to delve into the Stronghold of the Minotaur.
Is a level 8 party up to the Stronghold ? I feel like my dudes are up to the place since I blazed through all the encounters at the surface, then I stumbled upon the chamber of wonders or something like that and my thief and my sorcerer died in turn 1... right at the first floor.
I don't feel like farming the wyvern peak again in order to reach level 5 spells but I feel like I'd actually need to ? Any advice appreciated, much love, peace.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember much details from the game, so just some general advice.
Explore some other area first. Avoid the NW part of the map, since that is the hardest part. There's really no need to grind, just finding the easiest areas and explore them first.
Have you explored the desert?

No Great Name

Arcane
After checking my Grid Carto. maps, looks like I was in the middle of book I. So book I it is !
Looks like I've done a couple of lords quests, like the first two Ironfist ones and the first two Lord Hoarder (or whatever his name is) ones. Regarding the main quest, it looks like I was about to delve into the Stronghold of the Minotaur.
Is a level 8 party up to the Stronghold ? I feel like my dudes are up to the place since I blazed through all the encounters at the surface, then I stumbled upon the chamber of wonders or something like that and my thief and my sorcerer died in turn 1... right at the first floor.
I don't feel like farming the wyvern peak again in order to reach level 5 spells but I feel like I'd actually need to ? Any advice appreciated, much love, peace.
You need to explore the Stronghold for the main quest, but you don't have to defeat the Minotaur boss at the end except to complete one of the lords' quest. I completed the Stronghold with a level 8 party as well, but I think it's more about the character stats rather than the spell levels they have access to at that point.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Alright. I'll follow octavius advice and venture into the desert. I got the map, and I already mapped the northern part of the desert, with the merchant oasis.
I remembered not to go to the north-western part of the map, I usually avoid the A squares as much as I can. I'm gonna venture east and see if I find some juicy dungeons and whatnot.

My world-mapping so far, in case I missed a spot I could easily visit :
759989mm1.png

No Great Name

Arcane
I would recommend finishing up B-1 as well. It also looks like you haven't found Portsmith yet, either.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Oh I got every city covered, I still know the very early way to reach any city and it's the typical kind of things I can't forbid myself to use, I lack the discipline for that. You just made me realize I completely forgot city dungeons. I think I haven't cleared much besides Sorpigal.
Thanks for the advices gentlemen :obviously:, let's roll towards the inner sanctum now I swear this time I'll reach it.

Casual Hero

Augur
Might and Magic has always been my favorite cRPG series, mainly just for nostalgic reasons- but also because the pure exploration and open-ended gameplay is appealing. That being said, I've never beaten any of the games despite playing most (I got the farthest in 3 and 7). Anyways, all this talk about MM1 has re-invigorated me and I've decided to start with MM1 and play as far as I can. Just started, so still in Sorpigal- but I'm feeling good about this. I'm mapping with good ol' paper and pencil.
-Sidenote: I forgot how long it took to roll good stats in Might and Magic 1; the fact that you can't switch around attributes really slowed me down.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
-Sidenote: I forgot how long it took to roll good stats in Might and Magic 1; the fact that you can't switch around attributes really slowed me down.
It's the main reason the pregen party is so good, their starts are way above average.

Casual Hero

Augur
It's the main reason the pregen party is so good, their starts are way above average.
Ah, the temptation is there, but already on level 4 with my party.
I used to use the pre-gen parties for all my RPGs, but now I can't imagine creating my own.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I always found the overworld in MM1 to be too maze like. It just felt like a dungeon with outdoor graphics. Starting with MM2 did the overworld actually feel like a world.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I feel the exact opposite. There's not that much hidden stuff and unbelievably annoying lands/mountains to travel through in MM1 compared to MM2. I guess it feels different because MM2 features the skills that allow your party to ignore these, otherwise, loathsome one-way-paths all over the place.

Casual Hero

Augur
I can kind of see both sides to it. Sometimes MM1 can feel like you're just mapping another dungeon- but as you start to piece the world together, it looks really cool on paper.
MM2 has a more immediate response, like- oh, here I am on a path in a forest. Maybe it's just the graphics that allowed it to seem more open. But it does eventually become kind of like "lawnmowing" the map. Nothing in between you so you have to just go back and forth checking every square.
Here's something that I've been thinking about: in Might and Magic 1-5, it has always kind of felt like the overworld was more of an abstract simulation of the outdoors. I mean to say that it isn't really to scale or anything. So kind of like a Final Fantasy style overworld but in first person. Just as opposed to Wizardry 7, where the towns and forests all connect seamlessly. I like both styles, but it's just something to think about.
Bringing it back to M&M, the first game I feel like has the least amount of that abstractism (not a word). I mean, sure it feels a bit close together like a dungeon, but that makes it feel a little more down to scale.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only thing that i hated about MM 3-5 was the inventory system.It was supper annoying that i had to spend more time in it than killing monsters.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I don't remember having much trouble with the inventory. The only thing was remembering which prefixes and suffixes meant what but you could always just ID the items at the blacksmith to get the actual numbers behind them.

And yeah, once you get all the outdoor skills and start "lawnmowing" the overworld then it does start to feel kind of dumb.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't remember having much trouble with the inventory. The only thing was remembering which prefixes and suffixes meant what but you could always just ID the items at the blacksmith to get the actual numbers behind them.

And yeah, once you get all the outdoor skills and start "lawnmowing" the overworld then it does start to feel kind of dumb.
It was annoying how you didn't have any space,or how you didn't knew what the fuck is a certain item(al thou it could be learned) ,or how frequently shit got broken and you had to throw a ton of money to fix it.By the end i was running around with broken armor.
I never though that any MM3-9 game is difficult,maybe MM5 could be called a bit hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom