Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Damn, Middlegate, not Sorpigal. I'm talking about M&M2 after all. Skeleton Closet is 10,4 and is the best early source of money.

IncendiaryDevice
Best source of experience in early M&M1 is lord's quests and then caryatids.

Ruhfuss

Savant
Reading this guide or whatever feels strange. MM games are pretty easy,you can beat them with most parties and there is no point to min max. I just pick a standard party without repeating classes and have fun.

Not a guide, just a summary of observations I thought someone might find useful, for whatever reasons. I'm quite sure that some of the changes in Ludmeister's mod, which aren't stated that obviously in the mod's readme, would be very off-putting to some old-school codexers around.

I choose to believe that it's a good thing that the game can be played in many different ways. Different people have different opinions of what is fun for them in a video game or RPG in general, so to each his own. If a single game delivers to different crowds, the developers perhaps did something right.

As an example, one could say that there's no point in completing any game as fast as possible, but a dedicated speedrunner would definetely disagree. A dedicated party builder might still be rolling his characters while the speedrunner has already finished the game.

Then again, if one just thinks that party composition doesn't matter at all...? Well, now you made me realize something. I feel cheated! This isn't an RPG at all! It's just an adventure game disguised as an RPG! All this meaningless statistics and annoying combat, that only prolong the time for me to reach the next puzzle! And then I just installed a mod that adds even more pointless combat to this adventure-game-disguised-as-RPG... I need to look out for a mod that adds more puzzles!

Slightly exaggerated disclaimer: I hate puzzles.

MM 1 and 2 are hard, at least in the beginning. MM 3-5 are easy, though.

Tell that to my younger self, who took a while to realize that his previous only RPG experience, coming from playing Gold Box games, didn't translate very well to MM3.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well,different party different challenges in the game. I just love exploring in MM games and don't care about stats. For me rpgs are all about freedom,exploration and good story. The rest doesn't matter much.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
the constant monster respawing makes the game a really grind-fest, with shit-loads of money and gems flying at the party quite early,
is there such mod for World of Xeen
asking for a friend

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
PHlZu45.png

Very good game, among the best in the series and among the best RPGs at all. Exploration and combat are both top notch.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am curious if there is any mods/games like Might and Magic,i know about wizardry. Anything to recommend? Closer to MM6 and MM7 if posible and no dungeon games like legend of grimrock.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Very good game, among the best in the series and among the best RPGs at all. Exploration and combat are both top notch.

and remember, real pros play it on native system, like C64 or Apple II, with notebooks.

You will never be a real Super Goober like me if you cant do this.
Does it count if I use Dosbox and a grid notebook?

Luzur

Good Sir

The Old Kiwi

Educated
I am curious if there is any mods/games like Might and Magic,i know about wizardry. Anything to recommend? Closer to MM6 and MM7 if posible and no dungeon games like legend of grimrock.
I played M&M VI over and over again, at least six times, with assorted teams of adventurers. I would do it again with any useful mods, however, I've yet to hear about any such! By the time that sequel was available, the C64 was only a poor doorstop, or worse.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I played M&M VI over and over again, at least six times, with assorted teams of adventurers. I would do it again with any useful mods, however, I've yet to hear about any such! By the time that sequel was available, the C64 was only a poor doorstop, or worse.
MM6 have "The Chaos Conspiracy" mod. Would recommend trying it out. Just copy paste your original saves in another directory,i mistakenly saved on my godly party and that killed the game for me :) .

Luzur

Good Sir
Hello.

Here is thing i did for past time: merge of mm6, mm7, and mm8 on base of mm8 using MMExtension.

Download link (MMExtension and Editor are included, game is not included): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cu6tlpkh99pw ... jMWfa?dl=0
Update 21.11.2017, use it if you've downloaded main files before: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6bsucr1m5ck ... uQOfa?dl=0

How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.
2. Install GrayFace's patch for MM8.
3. Unpack MMExtension and MMEditor files into MM8 folder.
4. Copy files from "Game files" folder to MM8 folder, replacing existing.
5. First launch can take up to 15 mins, keep patience.

I did test only main stories and partially promotion quests, those should work right, other stuff can be buggy and requries feedback for fixing.
Known unfixed bugs/issues:
1. Win7 x64: some cutscenes can not be played in full screen mode, watch them in windowed mode. Did not notice it in Win XP x64 and Win 10 x64.
2. Some MM6 dungeons are glitchy in hardware game mode, use software mode for it (possible crashes while moving through doors).
3. One half of double-leaf doors in MM6 dungeons sometimes stays impassable, second part usually works fine.
4. Some bonuses of relics and artifacts from mm6/7 does not have any effects in fact.

Possible contributions if someone would:
1. Testing.
2. Repainting mm6/7 armors to fit mm8 dolls.
(video-example at 1:18 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 (video a bit outdated, use dump(*table*) function to find new fields of structures)).
3. Inventing additional character paperdolls (going to add video-example in nearest future).
Most calsses came from mm6/7 are not elighible for some mm8 dolls, i.e. vampire paladin sounds senseless, so adding more human paperdolls would be great.
4. Rescripting mm6/7 relics/artifacts bonuses.
(video-example at 3:00 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 ).
5. Inventing quests or story arcs which would lead player from new game continent to story lines of other continents.

Localization:
This is english version based on GOG releases. I did external database to not get confused with all game files, i think, i can use it to automatically replace current files with other localization, send me your *.lod archives from game folder, so i can try to do it.

Tips:
1. "Queen Catherine" starts shipping to Antagrich and Jadam after revealing Silvertongue's treason.
2. Ships from Ravenshore starts travelling to Antagrich/Enroth when party gets access to Regna.
3. Ship from Tularean forest starts travelling to Jadam when party finishing Dwarf king's quest.
4. Party can be filled up at start or durning gameplay by hiring random followers.
5. Game have weather effects (snow and rain), if it becomes annoying, rename "weather.lua" in ..\Scripts\General folder to "weather.lua.off".
6. I have not ever tried to use any high res mod, can not predict how new interface elements will behave with it.
7. I've used Marcon Phoenix's world map for new game menu.

Also a MM wannabe game called The Call of Liriel

Hi! We launched an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign so you can help us bringing The Call of Liriel to life.

The Call of Liriel is an indie open world first-person party-based free movement RPG, inspired on 90's first-person RPGs, main inspiration from Might and Magic 6,7,8 and Wizardry 8. You are a party of four novice monster hunters looking for your next adventure. You heard about an island where inhabitants are terrorized by a group of giant spiders. You travel there to start your epic monster hunter career. Things will become increasingly complicated as you join the battle between light and dark forces!

Crowdfunding trailer: https://youtu.be/L8evVo_XT6Y
Screenshots:

Link to campaign >>> https://igg.me/at/the-call-of-liriel <<<

Please help us spreading the word, sharing the crowdfunding campaign with friends, and, if you can, making a contribution.

MaestroMod 2D art being used for the portraits, dolls, items, professions. Thanks Maestro!

Also, seems World of Xeen 2 project is indeed dead (and i guessed it like 2 years ago but its been confirmed now by original dev, but demo is still out + some vids of what could have been.

We decided to put our past achievements as a demo version, because sure there are people who would be interested to see this.

The demo contains one open location and one dungeon.
The method of distribution - freeware.

Download the demo version :
Version 0.8.1 . ( for Windows XP) -
https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=6M1 ... er0lYqc%3D

Version 0.8.2 (Windows 7/Vista) -
https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=WvH ... y/J/EHs%3D

Our forum: http://wox2.org/forum/

Controls:
WASD - movement
Q - switch viewing modes (MM6-8 style OR first-person shooter style)
ctrl - stealth mode
alt - jump
space - tactical pause (you can use spells in this mode)
enter - classic turn-based combat. Enemies must be at close range.

About the project :

Start of development : 18.12.2009 .
Termination of development : somewhere in February 2013.

Minimum system requirements:

Operating system - Windows XP/Vista/7
Video Card - 512MB , OpenGL 2.1 support
Processor 1.5 GHz
300 MB free hard disk space

Description: RPG in the first person . The player's task to manage a party of four characters, explore the area, improve skills , complete quests .
The game was planned in a modified setting of Might & Magic 6-8. Events occur prior to the collision of two blades which led to the death of the planet. Action game should have happened on the island Vori . We have revised the story suggesting that the climate has changed on the island after Kilgor cleared so-called "the Sword of Frost" ( events Heroes Chronicles).

Project History :
In early 2010, resumed drafting World of Xeen 2 . Planned as a working title , which will be subsequently modified . The team was actually collected again. Was seriously modified game engine and a new game content .

During the development was done:
- Graphics engine
- The level editor , dialogues and objects. Loading the remaining data derived from tables.
- Skeletal animation
- Batch Management - moving , melee, ranged , interaction with NPC, the choice of objects in the scene (eg opening boxes ) , stealth mode
- game system - slightly modified system of Might & Magic 6th and 7th part
- Many different art : textures, models , characters, sounds and music
- A huge number of 2D images of items for game inventory
- Interface : main window , statistics , inventory, dialog windows, alchemy, map of the area , the start menu
- 7 open locations
- 5 dungeons
- A few quests
- About 20 spells (almost everything is in demo version)
- Turn-based combat system
- Combat system in real time

Taken from other sources :
- Some of the textures are taken from cgtextures.com
- Some sounds taken from freesound.org

Old stuff

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZONwMafXa0
Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bk34Vly7Fw

gunman

Arcane
Developer
What does he mean though, that they are fused into one big game? Wouldn't that completely break the balance of all three games?

When you start a new game you choose the starting place, than can be either New Sorpigal, Emerald Island or Dagger Wound Island. After a few quests you can travel freely from one world to another with ships. The balance will be probably broken at some point, but who cares.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have only played 3-5 so far but I'd say that a certain balance is crucial to the sense of progression M&M offers. Its true that at the your party usually are demigods blasting everything to pieces but that only makes my point that stitching three games together would severely unbalance them from the beginning. Not to mention that it would render exploration pretty pointless eventually.

I guess its still something fun to try for people who have played through the games several times already.

Luzur

Good Sir
What am I doing and who am I

I am reimplementing Might & Magic 8 from scratch using Unity. Some of you are surely saying: "Hey, look, here is another guy thinking he can reimplement a game from M&M 6-8 series, meh, he will give up eventually like all others before him".

I can assure you that this is not a wannabe attempt. I have one reimplementation project under my belt which I wrote entirely from scratch using C++ and low level libraries (SDL, Box2D, ...) and created Windows/Linux release distributables for its community -https://github.com/pjasicek/OpenClaw

This project is and will be open source and available on github, though in unity so I will not be able to use any paid third party assets (which is fine with me):

https://github.com/pjasicek/OpenMM8

Progress

As I stated, this project is in its earliest stages, but there are a few key concepts already in place:

• * Imported and properly scaled M&M map(s)
    * Basic player controller - same has M&M 9 crosshair control style (rotating camera with mouse, moving with WASD)
    * Basic M&M 8 UI
    * Working minimap + player direction arrow
    * Working compas (showing player's current world-side orientation
    * Working mechanism of animating / rotating NPCs - they are actually 8-sided 2D sprites, not 3D models
    * Villager AI is implemented - they wander within pre-defined location, they look at Player when near and they run from Hostile NPCs (or player)
    * Original 4:3 resolution is being preserved

The ultimate goal is to reimplement all feasible in-game mechanics in the same way as in original game. Once this is achieved, the project can be enhanced by any custom things - new locations, skills, enemies, quests, etc...

Some early screenshots:

68747470733a2f2f73392e706f7374696d672e6f72672f75746d6a726e7277762f73637265656e73686f745f35302e706e67

68747470733a2f2f73392e706f7374696d672e6f72672f36656978343530626a2f73637265656e73686f745f35312e706e67

Credits

* GrayFace for his awesome work on M&M tools and file-format reverse engineering

Contact

If anyone would want to discuss or ask me anything, feel free to contact me anytime:

pjasicek@gmail.com

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I started an MM6 party in this MM6-7-8Extension game: Paladin, Archer, Cleric, 2xSorcerer. But only the Archer can learn disarm trap on only expert level. That's an epic fail, I am afraid.
Should I start an MM8 party instead or start a single character and recruit NPCs? In the training building of New Sorpigal you can recruit an NPC of random class.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom