Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Why is all of this happening? What caused this issue?

We are unable to discuss details of the complex legal matters surrounding this issue at this time. Please be aware that we are extremely unhappy with the situation and are doing our best to work past it. We have put a lot of hard work into this series, and are eager for fans to see it.

I assume what happened was something like this from Atari's side:

Eddard Stark

Educated
Infinitron
Kevin Martens is serving fulltime at Blizzard, on the D3 team.

On the matter:
Any talk of BG3 by Beamdog makes my blood boil. These incompetent cashgrabbers managed to royally fuck up a simple facelift to the classics with the bulk of the work already done for them by modders. Oh, and the original content extra abominable shit they added in BG:EE... that GUI and areas. How brain-damaged you outta be to consider BG3 with Beamdog in the context. Anyways, things really took a hilarious turn. Trent wanted to fuck us big time but failed to notice Big Daddy Atari behind him, unzipping pants and preparing lube. Comedy gold.

Rake

Arcane
:lol: How bad is that shit anyway? I didn't bother to pirare it because BGT+ the mods i want is vastly superior and never gets uninstaled from my PC.
But the level of rage against Beamdog is hilarious. How much can you srew an Enhanced Edition ffs? If they are so incompetent to just fix BG(something that the modders have done and some of them are even helping Beamdog), how do they expect to create an original game of the same quality?
:balance:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:lol: How bad is that shit anyway? I didn't bother to pirare it because BGT+ the mods i want is vastly superior and never gets uninstaled from my PC.
But the level of rage against Beamdog is hilarious. How much can you srew an Enhanced Edition ffs? If they are so incompetent to just fix BG(something that the modders have done and some of them are even helping Beamdog), how do they expect to create an original game of the same quality?
:balance:
They don't, they just expect to rake in tons of dosh based on the series popularity. Quality is not even an afterthought.

Stabwound

Arcane
Atari is still selling the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

But Oster and crew had to remove it from their Beamdog shit and the iTunes store. I don't see what this could possibly be other than some kind of violation of their contract; according to his twitter they can't even work on future patches or BG2:EE anymore until it's resolved. Sounds like Atari yanked their funds or something. :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atari is still selling the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

But Oster and crew had to remove it from their Beamdog shit and the iTunes store. I don't see what this could possibly be other than some kind of violation of their contract; according to his twitter they can't even work on future patches or BG2:EE anymore until it's resolved. Sounds like Atari yanked their funds or something. :smug:

I have a hunch that this particular case may not be one of evil publishers being evil.

Multi-headed Cow

Maybe this means we'll finally get that fucking D&D Anthology of all BG all IWD, PST, ToEE and NWN on Steam which has been on the Steam registry for a year or two now.

Multi-headed Cow

Maybe this means we'll finally get that fucking D&D Anthology of all BG all IWD, PST, ToEE and NWN on Steam which has been on the Steam registry for a year or two now.
Buy on GoG now ;)
Neh. Gamersgate was selling the exact same DRM free version as GoG (And most likely the Steam version would be DRM free as well) for like $5 a couple times. Hell of a lot cheaper than GoG.

AMG

Arbiter
themoreyouknow.jpg
According to the thread you still need to install it through steam tho.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
themoreyouknow.jpg
According to the thread you still need to install it through steam tho.

And you need to download it from GOG servers after logging in too. That's not DRM.

Download on Steam, back up the files, own it forever. Same fucking thing.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My wild guess would be that EA made a deal with Atari and the next secret Bioware's project is Baldur's Gate 3.

So, Atari now needs to renegotiate the deal with Beamdog, and used some kind of minor contract breach (like Beamdog not making Android version of BGEE on time) to force them to stop getting profit from BGEE until they agree.

What? I said it was wild guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My wild guess would be that EA made a deal with Atari and the next secret Bioware's project is Baldur's Gate 3.

So, Atari now needs to renegotiate the deal with Beamdog, and used some kind of minor contract breach (like Beamdog not making Android version of BGEE on time) to force them to stop getting profit from BGEE until they agree.

What? I said it was wild guess.

Atari is no longer in a position to make such deals. All rights to Baldur's Gate have reverted to Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, except, for some bizarre reason, the right to produce and sell an enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate.

Atari can't even sell the original version of Baldur's Gate anymore. When you buy the original BG on GOG, the money goes to Hasbro.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The rights are pretty screwy on the old games. Look at Neverwinter Nights 2 being on Steam for like a month before being pulled. Then a year later it comes to GOG. Weird shit. I wouldn't wade into that pool. I doubt Bioware and EA are going to either, and the secret Bioware project was already said to be new IP.

Wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian was stupid enough to dive into that license hell for a crack at Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, though. They're dumb but I love them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The rights are pretty screwy on the old games. Look at Neverwinter Nights 2 being on Steam for like a month before being pulled. Then a year later it comes to GOG. Weird shit. I wouldn't wade into that pool. I doubt Bioware and EA are going to either, and the secret Bioware project was already said to be new IP.

Wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian was stupid enough to dive into that license hell for a crack at Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, though. They're dumb but I love them.

The Steam version was published by Atari, the GOG version by Hasbro. No clue why Hasbro don't want to put it back on Steam.

Don't think Obsidian is involved with this.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The rights are pretty screwy on the old games. Look at Neverwinter Nights 2 being on Steam for like a month before being pulled.
Can you still download the game from steam, if you bought it there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom