Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Xavier0889

Learned
Baldur’s Gate had finally emerged from the dank dungeons of obscurity
:lol: What?

From Durlag's Tower, maybe? :D

Baldur's Gate isn't about Baldur's Gate, it's about Bhaalspawn. That's basically the only common thread. A Baldur's Gate III only makes sense as a prequel (which was what Atari was making, ancestors of Minsc and all).

The original BG3 project didn't had anything to do with Bhaalspawns at all... it was going to be a whole new story. I'd say that Dragon Age was the nearest we could get to BG3... but that's another story.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Top competitor for most juvenile user name on the Codex, I believe.

Xavier0889 said:
The original BG3 project didn't had anything to do with Bhaalspawns at all...

Grunker said:
Baldur's Gate games aren't about Baldur's Gate. Sure, they could just do a random game set in Baldur's Gate, but that would have about as much to do with the franchise as a Baldur's Gate game in space... wait no, that would make more sense, could be about hamsters.

If one was to make a "legitimate" BGIII, it would have to be a prequel or break with FR canon and focus on one or both of the choices made by the protagonist at the end of ToB.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Also, didn't the God of Wars' Spawn canonically take his place at the throne of murder? What exactly are they hoping to explore with this sequel?

Also, spoliers

112.jpeg

But yeah, he could never pull that up. Fuck that loser.

Deleted member 7219

Good news about Beamdog having to stop production on BG2: EE. You can buy BG and BG2 on GOG.com, they work on modern systems, and there's mods to make them look better if you're into that kind of thing. What Beamdog did always seemed to me to be an obvious cashgrab. And I felt like what Trent Oster said about wanting to 'Enhance' Planescape Torment, something he never worked on, was dickish in the extreme. To quote Rush Limbaugh, "I hope he fails".

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm a bit of a cynic I admit. To me this has the smell of a clever heist.
Just imagine for a moment that beamdog realized (after all I bet even they get depressed looking at the "new areas" they created for BG: EE) they have no way to make a good game, and as much as they like money they know BG3 would ruin them. So what's the plan? Well how about we pretend to make some BS reason for why we have to put everything on hold... then in 3-6 months we can say "Hurrrah guys we sorted it out as far as releasing BG2: EE" then cash in on the much anticipated BG2:EE which would have received even more hype from this debacle... followed by some comment like "But unfortunately due to 'law' issues we can no longer do a BG3, don't worry though plebs, NOW we can make IWD: EE."
With the state of today's developers/publishers, between all the lying and no progress, to me this seems highly likely.... just saying.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think they could have just kept selling their game and after BG2:EE came said they can't because of legal issues. I also doubt they care about making something good.

Also, I'm pretty sure an IWD:EE is just about impossible due to multiple parties owning various aspects of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I'm pretty sure an IWD:EE is just about impossible due to multiple parties owning various aspects of it.

Well, IWD's original assets may still exist, so it may be possible to develop a proper Icewind Dale HD, like what they originally intended to do with BG. Obsidian would have to cooperate, of course.

Diablo169

Arcane
Does this legal situation prevent them from releasing the patch? Holding a patch to ransom to fix your own buggy shit seems kinda douchey otherwise.

waywardOne

Arcane
There's at least two giant douches in this thread who can easily make a new, proxied account and spill the beans, but refuse to do so.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's at least two giant douches in this thread who can easily make a new, proxied account and spill the beans, but refuse to do so.
Well at least in one case it would obviously interfere with his monetary income, so it's pretty easy to understand why he wouldn't risk it just to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of nobodies on the Codex.

Why the Jew refuses to spill the beans I cannot see though.

waywardOne

Arcane
Well at least in one case it would obviously interfere with his monetary income, so it's pretty easy to understand why he wouldn't risk it just to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of nobodies on the Codex.

I have a hard time believing the former's "income" is anything more than a nominal fee or stipend rather than a salary -- if we're talking about the same person account.

Stabwound

Arcane
Beamdog aren't game designers at all. Their resume consists of acquiring the source to old games and updating the graphical rendering to HIGH DEFINTION!!!!!! In BG's case, that art source was lost, so we end with this hacked-to-shit abomination of an IE game.

Fuck Oster. Fuck Tofer. Fuck his whole company and may they rot in hell. All of the BG3 talk was just Oster shooting his mouth off. If they actually gave them the rights to a BG3 game it would prove to me that the talking heads of these big companies have completely lost touch with reality. I'm accuming BG:EE sold like shit, and I don't mean in a good way.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Beamdog aren't game designers at all. Their resume consists of acquiring the source to old games and updating the graphical rendering to HIGH DEFINTION!!!!!! In BG's case, that art source was lost, so we end with this hacked-to-shit abomination of an IE game.

Fuck Oster. Fuck Tofer. Fuck his whole company and may they rot in hell. All of the BG3 talk was just Oster shooting his mouth off. If they actually gave them the rights to a BG3 game it would prove to me that the talking heads of these big companies have completely lost touch with reality. I'm accuming BG:EE sold like shit, and I don't mean in a good way.
:thumbsup:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't know anything more than what I've already said in this thread.

Absalom

I don't know anything more than what I've already said in this thread.
All 126 pages of it? Bro you could have posted the meaning of life in pg 5 and I'd never know.

Does anyone know if they're going what engine they're going to use for combat?

Absalom

Do combat in what??

I read some recent posts and thought some independent studio had got the rights to BG III. But then I read the OP and find out its some banal remake nobody cares about.

WHAT IS THIS THREAD ABOUT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom