Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yeah, but according to 1eyedking and Lyric Suite, if you claim to enjoy Jap games at all on any level, you're really a subversive who believes they're better than anything the West has ever released

Guess you're caught out now huh huh

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Yeah, but according to 1eyedking and Lyric Suite, if you claim to enjoy Jap games at all on any level, you're really a subversive who believes they're better than anything the West has ever released

Guess you're caught out now huh huh

I have never supported their stance. As a matter of facted I criticized their feeble trolling attempts. And no comparing Russian realist art to anime is not a valid form of criticism to my mind.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Mrowak said:
The franchise so far proved good and interesting and extremely corny. In other words it's good for what it is... Which, according to Codex's :monocle: standards is not good enough.
Nigga please. DMC3 is one of the best action games ever made (and in terms of controls it's the best, hands down), rivaled only by Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma. If that only qualifies for "good for what it is" then the Codex is far too :monocle: for its own good.

Mrowak

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Mrowak said:
The franchise so far proved good and interesting and extremely corny. In other words it's good for what it is... Which, according to Codex's :monocle: standards is not good enough.
Nigga please. DMC3 is one of the best action games ever made (and in terms of controls it's the best, hands down), rivaled only by Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma. If that only qualifies for "good for what it is" then the Codex is far too :monocle: for its own good.

Let me rephrase my statement. DMC games are good, interesting and are definitely among best action games there are. They are also extremely corny (especially DMC3). And while corniness is not necessarily a bad thing it only proves that even the best action game from japan can't rid of silliness. By the codex high :monocle: standards silliness in any title aspiring to be "teh best evahr" in anything is a disadvantage - very minor in this case but it is. Silliness in any medium ought not to be the thing to be aspired to (even parodies, in order to be truly effective, cannot be silly).

So, while definitely DMC games can be enjoyed for what they are (fucking awesome action beat'em ups) their elements they share with other games (such as story, setting, characters) should not be mindlessly copied. Least of all they should not be set as hallmarks of good design for those features. I mentioned it here because after watching that amazing Dragon Age 2 gameplay video I have an impression that somebody took DMCs way too seriously...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Yeah, but according to 1eyedking and Lyric Suite, if you claim to enjoy Jap games at all on any level, you're really a subversive who believes they're better than Michaelangelo
Fixed :smug:

Mrowak

Arcane
Sceptic said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Yeah, but according to 1eyedking and Lyric Suite, if you claim to enjoy Jap games at all on any level, you're really a subversive who believes they're better than Michaelangelo
Fixed :smug:

:thumbsup: :elitist_scum: :smug:

If you took this seriously you're popamole consolefag. WTF are you doing on prestigious RPGcodex? Go play your xbawx bitch

Mrowak

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Mrowak said:
I'd like to remind you here that I'm not against jap games on the whole but animu style implemented wrongly with things that destroy the assumed game-worlds altogether. Look at FF7-14 + Devil May Cry etc. Now look at Dragon Age 2. See similar design philosophy - common retarded patterns? See juvenile art-style, character behaviour? Do you see retarded combat? Can you see inconsistencies, idiocies, moron decisions that you will just know the sheeple will swallow because they swallowed them without question with jap games and called them "immersive, deep, mature"? All because of "it's shit but as long we will go all visceral it will work" attitude. Let me remind you...

If we keep using these vague descriptions, we'll go back to trolls trolling trolls.

"X is retarded, period", "No, Y is", "Wow, you're a fucking retard", "No u".

Read one of my posts earlier. Did I ever resort to 5-year old tantrums and one sentence statements not backed up but paragraphs of text (in before OMG text... can't... fucking... read...). Unlike certain clockKnight I know I think I supported my view with more than enough arguments.

In the face of this pathetic attempt at trolling I can only say: "No u".

treave said:
Good job pinning the decline of Western gaming on the Japs. I knew those sneaky slanty-eyes were up to no good.

I approve this message.

edit: I don't get it though, anime, or more particularly the cute anime shit that everyone totally hates, is anything but visceral.

1) Yeah, I know I'm awesome. :smug:

2) Historically it is jRPGs that pulled shit out of the void of oblivion :conspiracy: and despite ridiculously attrocious art-direction, idiotic plot, moronic characters that all together gimped their admittedly original and interesting settings managed to attract attention of consolefags as well as win their eternal unquestioning love. No one sane among western developers would have thought beforehand sth like that was even possible by being sloppy rather than thorough. But games like FF7 simply sold whereas their own did not.

Everyone learned that it does not pay to aim high, aspire for perfection, and be ambitious. It is enough to throw insipid mawkish love story, flashy ludicurous animations, childish pallate of colours, over the top character / item design, and bloom to be considered "high brow" by an average reviewer's standards. Just watching StarCraft 2, Wow, upcoming Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Ass Effect, Kotor, Oblibion, Failout 3 and comparing it to jap animu games that sold (e.g. FF X) should be enough for anyone versed in the ancient lore of :rpgcodex: to pinpoint similarities.

Even the supposed ambitious jap titles like Chrono Trigger or SMT:Nocturne have their share of inconsistencies that should not be blindly accepted but simply pointed out as flaws that appear despite many other things this or that game does right.

2Edit)You misapplied the term "visceral" here. If you pointed out to a typical consoltard those cutesy animu characters and how ridiculous they are he would say they are so cute, awesome, you have no imagination, you cannot into suspension of disbelief (if the reader has to suspend his disbelief on his own volition in order for anything to be credible, that's the marking of poor writing), and that they are all unimportant because the story, plot, setting are so extraordinary it denies reason (quite literally in this case).

In other words, in this case story, plot (oh that love romance! :pukes:), setting (hurt by cutesy art-design... and probably many other things) are visceral elements that serve as an excuse for overlooking critical flaws in everything (combat, art-style + more). In effect we get vicious circle of warped logic. Even the Great gods of cCaos could not think of anything as twisted and evil as that.

Mrowak said:
Read one of my posts earlier. Did I ever resort to 5-year old tantrums and one sentence statements not backed up but paragraphs of text (in before OMG text... can't... fucking... read...). Unlike certain clockKnight I know I think I supported my view with more than enough arguments.

No, you were doing great, writing actual sentences and bothering with points instead of making vague accusations of shitsuxdecline...then all of a sudden

Mrowak said:
I'd like to remind you here that I'm not against jap games on the whole but animu style implemented wrongly with things that destroy the assumed game-worlds altogether. Look at FF7-14 + Devil May Cry etc. Now look at Dragon Age 2. See similar design philosophy - common retarded patterns? See juvenile art-style, character behaviour? Do you see retarded combat? Can you see inconsistencies, idiocies, moron decisions that you will just know the sheeple will swallow because they swallowed them without question with jap games and called them "immersive, deep, mature"? All because of "it's shit but as long we will go all visceral it will work" attitude. Let me remind you...

No, I can't see the retarded moronic wrong idiotic popamole because I don't have the slightest idea of what you mean when you use these terms. If only we had a...hivemind of sorts.

Mind you, I wasn't even disagreeing with you (so the accusation of trolling is...lulsy, really). It's just that seeing one of the few guys who bothered to actually explain his points go back to the sort of thing found on the very first post was kind of FFS inducing.

Mrowak

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
No, I can't see the retarded moronic wrong idiotic popamole because I don't have the slightest idea of what you mean when you use these terms. If only we had a...hivemind of sorts.

Ok, Clockwork Knight that's fair enough. Your point is taken, although it seems to me we have some sort of misunderstanding here.

In the sentence

I'd like to remind you here that I'm not against jap games on the whole but animu style implemented wrongly with things that destroy the assumed game-worlds altogether.

I put the word "wrongly" in bold to stress the meaning I was trying to get across.

It is not to mean: "It is wrong to implement anime style anywhere because by its definition it is popamole shit that sheeple just love".

I was trying to say something more along those lines: "if you implement anime style in a half-assed manner (which to my regret happens all too often) we get popamole shit and unfortunately most people (aka. sheeple) are satisfied with it."

The "edgy - paranoic" tone of my statement stems form the simple fact that I'm just little bit tired of recycling the same old arguments over and over and frequently not sure whether I'm being trolled or genuinely questioned.

By all those codexmeme terms hide the flaws me and some other "anime" detractors pointed out earlier.

Glad we could clarify things :salute:

Ah, alright then.

Mrowak said:
The "edgy - paranoic" tone of my statement stems form the simple fact that I'm just little bit tired of recycling the same old arguments over and over and frequently not sure whether I'm being trolled or genuinely questioned.

Staring too long into the abyss, bro. Save yourself while you still can.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mrowak said:
Everyone learned that it does not pay to aim high, aspire for perfection, and be ambitious. It is enough to throw insipid mawkish love story, flashy ludicurous animations, childish pallate of colours, over the top character / item design, and bloom to be considered "high brow" by an average reviewer's standards. Just watching StarCraft 2, Wow, upcoming Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Ass Effect, Kotor, Oblibion, Failout 3 and comparing it to jap animu games that sold (e.g. FF X) should be enough for anyone versed in the ancient lore of :rpgcodex: to pinpoint similarities.

To be honest, I don't really see it that way. Let's start with, say, Final Fantasy 7. Insipid love story, yes, baaaaaww Aeris dies, Sephiroth best villain ever!!!1!, yeah. It wasn't a very good Final Fantasy by any standards, even Final Fantasy ones. But if it sold, it was because people liked it. And if people like it, you can't blame designers for following suit. Many older jRPG fans mark FF7 as the start of the decline, rather than something to love and praise. We can get into that later, there's other stuff to bitch about right now.

Even the supposed ambitious jap titles like Chrono Trigger or SMT:Nocturne have their share of inconsistencies that should not be blindly accepted but simply pointed out as flaws that appear despite many other things this or that game does right.

They do have their flaws, but attacking art-direction, of all things, still boils down to a subjective "Michelangelo is better than Japanese video-game art!" argument. Not that I'm saying you were attacking it, but it seems to be a stickler in this topic to fall back on hair, shoulder pads, belts and zippers. And no one's said those games were perfect either.

2Edit)You misapplied the term "visceral" here. If you pointed out to a typical consoltard those cutesy animu characters and how ridiculous they are he would say they are so cute, awesome, you have no imagination, you cannot into suspension of disbelief (if the reader has to suspend his disbelief on his own volition in order for anything to be credible, that's the marking of poor writing), and that they are all unimportant because the story, plot, setting are so extraordinary it denies reason (quite literally in this case).

In other words, in this case story, plot (oh that love romance! :pukes:), setting (hurt by cutesy art-design... and probably many other things) are visceral elements that serve as an excuse for overlooking critical flaws in everything (combat, art-style + more). In effect we get vicious circle of warped logic. Even the Great gods of cCaos could not think of anything as twisted and evil as that.

Actually, it would depend on which consoletard you pointed it out to. It may come as a surprise but consoletards are not a homogenous hivemind. There are those who love shooters, there are those who love moe crap like Idolmaster, there are the jRPG fanatics, the sports game fans, the Wii crowd - they may overlap but there are distinct groups.

Point out anime games to grimdark Gears of War shooter fans and you will get snorts of derision at that "weeaboo faggotry". Anime-style games will only apply to anime fans. Most anime fans will lap up anything anime. Just like most self-proclaimed RPG fans will lap up Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect.

Think of it this way - let's pigeonhole all anime-styled games into one genre. Pretend for one instance that anime styles don't burn out your eyes or something. Then, within that one genre, anime games, the only difference you can find will be gameplay, plot and the like.

I will not be surprised to find that amongst that group, you have a majority liking mainstream, mass-marketed games, and a minority playing classics, oldies, and only the really good ones (hithar RPGCodex!), and who are discerning enough to tell that many of the mainstream games aren't up to par.

After all this rambling, what I'm saying is that:

1) I do not believe the flaws you mentioned for Japanese games are inherent to the Japanese and have never existed in Western games before the Decline.

2) Even amongst "consoletards", there are people who can discern between a good console game and a bad console game. This applies to all groups of people, including anime fans. As usual, the discerning crowd are a minority. (inb4allanimeisshit)

3) It therefore stands to reason that discerning ability and cognitive dissonance is not something exclusive to anime-game liking consoletards. It even applies to the Codex - just look at the hordes of people claiming The Witcher is the best RPG since Arcanum.

4) Finally, you really do have problems suspending your disbelief - the hallmark of a beat-em-up is its action. Not its plot. The Codex usually comes down hard on anyone saying they couldn't enjoy PST because the combat is total shit, despite the plot - but we still acclaim it as fitting of codex high :monocle: standards. There are even pages of justifications that the combat in PST really isn't as bad as it seems, that if you think it's bad you just don't know how to play it, etc. Sounds familiar.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guy's i'm still raging when i consider that Bloodlines, the only modern game that gave a adult's pause to ponder my reaction (hollywood meeting Samantha) took down troika. I'm especially raging that at the same time boring shit like Half life two was selling like hotcakes, and that 90% of the world had no intention of playing bloodlines. I have a friend that spends 15€ on Wow like clockwork, but when i tried to give him bloodlines to play he says he "has no time".

:rage:

GAMERS ARE BRAINDEAD - THEIR LITTLE FUCKING CHILDISH SKULLS CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT GETTING SKULLFUCKED BY PAVLOVIAN PSYCHOLOGISTS IS NOT BEING A FUCKING FREE AGENT. IT'S NOT HAVING FUN YOU STUPID IDIOTS IT'S GETTING A FIX OF THE MOST SUPREMELY STUPID KIND OF STATUS POSSIBLE.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The decline is global and inevitable. The gaming industry was supposed to mature as it grew up. Instead it has turned adults into violent, lusty, stupid children. Or allowed them to show their true face. It's all shit indeed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm sorry you had to sell your disturbingly humanoid potato to pay wow.

He obviously loves you very much.

Archibald

Arcane
2) Historically it is jRPGs that pulled shit out of the void of oblivion :conspiracy: and despite ridiculously attrocious art-direction, idiotic plot, moronic characters that all together gimped their admittedly original and interesting settings managed to attract attention of consolefags as well as win their eternal unquestioning love. No one sane among western developers would have thought beforehand sth like that was even possible by being sloppy rather than thorough. But games like FF7 simply sold whereas their own did not.

Everyone learned that it does not pay to aim high, aspire for perfection, and be ambitious. It is enough to throw insipid mawkish love story, flashy ludicurous animations, childish pallate of colours, over the top character / item design, and bloom to be considered "high brow" by an average reviewer's standards. Just watching StarCraft 2, Wow, upcoming Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Ass Effect, Kotor, Oblibion, Failout 3 and comparing it to jap animu games that sold (e.g. FF X) should be enough for anyone versed in the ancient lore of RPGCodex does not scale to your level to pinpoint similarities.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Many older jRPG fans mark FF7 as the start of the decline, rather than something to love and praise.

Seconded.

4) Finally, you really do have problems suspending your disbelief - the hallmark of a beat-em-up is its action. Not its plot. The Codex usually comes down hard on anyone saying they couldn't enjoy PST because the combat is total shit, despite the plot - but we still acclaim it as fitting of codex high :monocle: standards. There are even pages of justifications that the combat in PST really isn't as bad as it seems, that if you think it's bad you just don't know how to play it, etc. Sounds familiar.

I think that every "western classic" has some serious design flaws. Take my already mentioned Troika games, they are considered good and i like them but if you don`t see that they are full of idiotic design flaws then you`re just lying to yourself.

It`s ok for western classics to be full of stupid shit but jap game has to be near perfect to be even considered "playable" by some folk here. Sad.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Mrowak said:
Let me rephrase my statement. DMC games are good, interesting and are definitely among best action games there are. They are also extremely corny (especially DMC3). And while corniness is not necessarily a bad thing it only proves that even the best action game from japan can't rid of silliness. By the codex high :monocle: standards silliness in any title aspiring to be "teh best evahr" in anything is a disadvantage - very minor in this case but it is. Silliness in any medium ought not to be the thing to be aspired to (even parodies, in order to be truly effective, cannot be silly).

So, while definitely DMC games can be enjoyed for what they are (fucking awesome action beat'em ups) their elements they share with other games (such as story, setting, characters) should not be mindlessly copied. Least of all they should not be set as hallmarks of good design for those features. I mentioned it here because after watching that amazing Dragon Age 2 gameplay video I have an impression that somebody took DMCs way too seriously...
I have but one thing to say: the game industry would be far, far better if more games took themselves as serious as DMC does itself, by which I mean not at all. Intentional silliness can be a thing of beauty if some thought is put into it.

Mrowak

Arcane
@treave

I will not comment too extensively (Will save against elitist rant urge: phailed) have produced a Wall of Text on what you wrote as I agree with most of what you said. I merely view it from a different perspective.

treave said:
Mrowak said:

To be honest, I don't really see it that way. Let's start with, say, Final Fantasy 7. Insipid love story, yes, baaaaaww Aeris dies, Sephiroth best villain ever!!!1!, yeah. It wasn't a very good Final Fantasy by any standards, even Final Fantasy ones. But if it sold, it was because people liked it. And if people like it, you can't blame designers for following suit. Many older jRPG fans mark FF7 as the start of the decline, rather than something to love and praise. We can get into that later, there's other stuff to bitch about right now.

No problems here. People are by nature morons (all people including myself - I am a firm believer that only through education and constant drive for self-perfection one can rise above the constraints of their own idiocy). People will buy what they like. If they like insipid emo stories they will buy them. Not necessarily because there is not better stuff out there - they are morons after all and so even if they knew there was sth different they will not test it because they only buy what they want. And what you want is x>5/10 times not what you need - on emotional, educational and social levels.

Now the developers or rather their marketing department noticed that you can earn by supplying people with what they want. That's fair enough - a basic rule of capitalism. But at the same somehow they barred the progress the introduction of new creative elements. Genuinely creative that is - not in the vein "I know let's combine a rabbit and a girl and we have rabbit girls or a man and a hawk and we have hawkmen". The reason for this is that "people might not like it". - see Square Enix or Bioware games.

I don't know about you but I have utmost respect for people who at least strive to do sth new or sth polished. Hence the games as TWitcher in spite of their many flaws (e.g. clunky combat) are always high in my book solely because they strive for greater world believability (in lore, the way characters behave, the way world reacts to your actions) whereas great many jRPGs (not all!!!) and wRPGs of these days simply do not try to do so (they will tell you that but on closer inspection it will turn out they fail - because they meant to fail - not because of unintentional errors). My diagnosis is - lazy design directed at what people want.

So it is not people's fault they get what they get. It is the fault of the designers that go for easy, lazy route that mediocre jap games showed them.

They do have their flaws, but attacking art-direction, of all things, still boils down to a subjective "Michelangelo is better than Japanese video-game art!" argument. Not that I'm saying you were attacking it, but it seems to be a stickler in this topic to fall back on hair, shoulder pads, belts and zippers. And no one's said those games were perfect either.

Perhaps I was too biased in saying "it is jap games that contributed majorly to the decline". I should have said - jap animu style is to blame for all attrocities that were inflicted on us. The only real problem is - I cannot. It is my conviction that there is nothing inherently wrong in japanese animations that should force them into being ridiculous and silly. All the same silly hair, shoulder pads, belts and zippers are the marks of negative influence yes, at least to me. I will need to think through argumentation for what I mean here so allow me to ellaborate on that some time later. One thing I can say to you now though - "silly japanese style which is all too often misapplied and misemployed with quirkiness for the sake of quirkiness is the thing that prevents them anime based games from reaching the greatness of their BEST (by codex standards) western counterparts".

"

Actually, it would depend on which consoletard you pointed it out to. It may come as a surprise but consoletards are not a homogenous hivemind. There are those who love shooters, there are those who love moe crap like Idolmaster, there are the jRPG fanatics, the sports game fans, the Wii crowd - they may overlap but there are distinct groups.

Point out anime games to grimdark Gears of War shooter fans and you will get snorts of derision at that "weeaboo faggotry". Anime-style games will only apply to anime fans. Most anime fans will lap up anything anime. Just like most self-proclaimed RPG fans will lap up Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect.

No disagreement here. Though it's (not) funny how ignorant people are about their own entertainment.

Think of it this way - let's pigeonhole all anime-styled games into one genre. Pretend for one instance that anime styles don't burn out your eyes or something. Then, within that one genre, anime games, the only difference you can find will be gameplay, plot and the like.
Anime style does not burn my eyes by default. It is its silly to moronic implementation that I yearn to purge with fire. From stupid art-design that denies reason (overornamental clothes, bikini armour, rabbit girls, walking shrooms etc) to lazy, childish or simply idiotic approach towards any theme and subject matter that is supposed to be more "mature".

You want cutesy art design in your game? Fine. You want it also to tackle serious issues? Well that's going to be harder. Not impossible, depending on your angle but definitely harder with the art direction you assumed. Much much harder. If you succeed I will personally take your product and say: "here motherfuckers is TEH BEST GAME EVAR". Here P:Torment is a great example- ok it didn't have cutsy art - rather it was eccentrict but perfectly tailored for the world it supported. And if you botch the job, if you're going to be juvenile, inane and stupid prepare for HELL! - this is a reaction I would like to see in everyone approaching such game. Not, "uh oh, yeah this is stupid but...". No buts. No excuses. Because when a medium is supposed to be serious it must be serious all the way. Otherwise you end up being cheesy or at best juvenile about things that by definition ought not to be childish.

I will not be surprised to find that amongst that group, you have a majority liking mainstream, mass-marketed games, and a minority playing classics, oldies, and only the really good ones (hithar RPGCodex!), and who are discerning enough to tell that many of the mainstream games aren't up to par.

After all this rambling, what I'm saying is that:

1) I do not believe the flaws you mentioned for Japanese games are inherent to the Japanese and have never existed in Western games before the Decline.

I do not believe they are inherent in them either. You could easily address them if there was will. However, there is no will because they worked before. Note "worked" as in they were good enough for the people not to throw their games away, not "worked" as in they were perfect and there is nothing to improve in them. Also note here: I focus on world consistency in the context of those flaws because this is the major gripe I personally have with jap games.

Hell, even jap animation isn't innately stupid. That is to say, when you reduce it to its main principles, before you add all panty-shots, corniness, quirky just to seem creative, not to be truly innovative etc. which is predominant and became something of their trademark here in the west. Bad fame is bad.

2) Even amongst "consoletards", there are people who can discern between a good console game and a bad console game. This applies to all groups of people, including anime fans. As usual, the discerning crowd are a minority. (inb4allanimeisshit)

Clarification: when using term "consoltard" I mean a person who owns a console and takes everything the hype throws at them uncritically. Other than that we are in agreement.
3) It therefore stands to reason that discerning ability and cognitive dissonance is not something exclusive to anime-game liking consoletards. It even applies to the Codex - just look at the hordes of people claiming The Witcher is the best RPG since Arcanum.
For the reasons mentioned above I take the Witcher's not so quite successful attempt at being an RPG than any japanese game - even SMT:Nocturne. If the latter strived to be as consistent as TWitcher, Planescape or Arcanum without being hamfisted about it I could reconsider it. Well KalosKagathos's lp will show if it improves later on.

Here we misunderstand each other. I have no problem playing beat'em ups. They are awesome and I don't care at the least about their story as long as they provide interesting enemies to... well... beat up. At least so long as nobody approaches me at tries to point me out how awesome the story is - no one at the Codex did that, to my relief - I will not criticise them for being good for what they are. Yet, I will verbally steamroll any design decision taken from say DMC 3 mindlessly and applied to a game that hypes itself up as "grimdark, mature" as these two words and DMC 3 are mutually exclusive (unless by grimdark you mean architecture and colour pallate).

Also combat in PS:T is utter shithe but the game is still awesome beyond belief - that is hivemind's consensus. It would be more awesome with ToE combat, but hell you can't have everything.

One last thing: could you highlight to me what exactly do you mean by "suspension of disbelief". I would like your opinion on that - just for sake of supporting my own arguments better.

From stupid art-design that denies reason (overornamental clothes, bikini armour

[...]

Here P:Torment is a great example- ok it didn't have cutsy art - rather it was eccentrict but perfectly tailored for the world it supported

annah.jpg

...oh god they're coming for me I didn't mean it I swear aaaaaaaaah

*SOUND OF MACHETE DECAPITATION*

Mrowak

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Mrowak said:
I have but one thing to say: the game industry would be far, far better if more games took themselves as serious as DMC does itself, by which I mean not at all. Intentional silliness can be a thing of beauty if some thought is put into it.

Yes, by all means! As long as cheesiness is reserved to games that are meant to be received as cheesy I am not against it. I simply don't have to play them if I don't want that. But when a medium tells me - it's dead serious, or when people keep telling me - it's dead serious, and when I get to see it is big rubbish I have right to be pissed of, have I not?

Also, let's remember that humour and witticism != being corny.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think you don't know what bikini means, CK. :smug:

But yeah, bikini armor is really not something to hold against eastern games. I'm pretty sure western games are more guilty in that department.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom