Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
They're both fucking messes of shapes thrown together. They have no design, no uniformity.

No u

What's the problem, CK? You're still not satisfied with what I say? I'm really trying, just for you.

But sure, I don't have any arguments, while you have images that are good because you say so. :roll:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
DefJam101 said:
He's right in that the two images don't look plausible or functional. Eastern vidya game art tends to succeed in surrealism and originality whereas western art design leans more toward functionality.

In before WH40K pics.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, they fly and are defended by/assaulted purely by magic (I assume, I don't recall any technology worth a damn in that setting but never got that far) so there's little need for technological functionality. Spaceships not meant for war kind of fall into the same category really. If gravity and aerodynamics mean fuck all to it's design, and it doesn't need anything critical defended by armor, it may as well just be all the shit you want on the ship glued together. And you have to admit the level of detail is impressive.

Also consider, this is the most mainstream japanese fantasy title you could get. It's direct competitor would be Oblivion or Halo 2. I don't think you'd want any pics of either brought up to bash western games.

demons-souls-20090521022431657.jpg

This would be a better example, since it's actually from gameplay (Though the camera is zoomed way too close, why the fuck would you take a promo screenshot that shows pixel edges?) from a game that wasn't run through marketing's approval 400 times.

dragon-age-4.jpg

Fair enough set of games to compare imo.

1eyedking

Erudite
Let's compare the best of west with the best of the east.

Comparing western shit with eastern shit is an exercise in futility, even to the usual extent of forums.

DefJam101 said:
Nexus TJI has some good spessship design
Those are still crap.

Spaceships must be designed as if though they were mass produced models, with functionality and economy in mind. The moment you start adding twirls and neon lights and rotating nozzles and colored engines and other assorted crap (read: needless stuff that would cost a lot of valuable, low quantity resources), disbelief kicks in and the immersion is broken.

This disbelief is what happens to me with all jRPG games, no exception. The Japanese can, in my mind, only make good platform, arcade and fighter games, because the second they have to wrap their minds around an imaginative and creative setting/storyline their kawaii-ne-desu neural nodes go into overload and start making nothing but a convoluted, pretentious mess of whatever they can get their hands on. And the less sense it makes, the better, it seems.

Hell, even a game like Super Mario which is an RPG is unintelligible; compare to Commander Keen that at least makes some fucking sense.

roll-a-die

Magister
1eyedking said:
Let's compare the best of west with the best of the east.

Comparing western shit with eastern shit is an exercise in futility, even to the usual extent of forums.

DefJam101 said:
Nexus TJI has some good spessship design
Those are still crap.

Spaceships must be designed as if though they were mass produced models, with functionality and economy in mind. The moment you start adding twirls and neon lights and rotating nozzles and colored engines and other assorted crap (read: needless stuff that would cost a lot of valuable, low quantity resources), disbelief kicks in and the immersion is broken.
Er wha, first one fits it, the next is an alien craft, after than again it fits it. Next one alien craft. Next one shitty concept art but still fits it.

Essentially, to have a function group of people one a space ship they have to be on something rotating at, at very least I think 14mph, for atleast 3 hours a day. The sections that spin should be belief enhancing. It would also need arrays of sensors to be able to navigate any kind of route.

As to colored engine burn, fuel tends to burn in colors. Type of fuel can often change the color of the burn.

As to the alien ship, they may have evolved to the point where constant 0-G/Freefall is no problem. They may have evolved in zero G. They may have also evolved to the point where they have a constant fusion fuel source powering their engines.

Never played far enough into Nexus to find out about the aliens. But I've always thought of the Spaceships as some of the better thought out in any game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I'm really trying

try less

Yeah, anything is trying too hard for you. Thank God you found a way to defeat all arguments, huh? Maybe because you don't have anything to defend Japanese crap except "I liek it"? I'm sorry, but that's how it goes.

Also, I wasn't really talking about their functionality, but mostly about their aesthetic qualities.

Archibald

Arcane
Maybe because you don't have anything to defend Japanese crap except "I liek it"? I'm sorry, but that's how it goes.

Someone explain to FeelTheRads that CK is making fun of him, it`s getting retarded.

1eyedking

Erudite
Hmm, the Brazilian does occasionally provide some witty divergence, but the true intelligence is lost in him.

CK's posts are serious business, shitty, and light-hearted at the same time. Reminds me of Brazil all too much. Filthy tranny land.

Whatever the case I prefer his posts to racofer's, who's gone full retard now that he's got a rocket-cock between his legs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Does it mean 1eyedking isn't trolling? He has merely one sided view of an art. Basically he is willing to accept as art only what they beaten into him in the school.

Nexus had larger problems than ship design. I know a lot about space tactic, counterrotating turbines, and triple grid thrusters. However I seen glaring problems in tactic in Nexus, basically they copied few outdated nautical ship tactics into situation where that behavior is similar to inspection of an airplane in flight. ETA, destination estimation, passive sensors... They played to be tactical game, however they arrived with only somewhat more complex Homeworld 2. I heard tactic in IW2 was better, and more realistic.

That two images from FF XII are airships. You know large ships flying in the air that are raining doom on enemies. Why do you think they didn't arrest Yuna in FF X-2? She was only one who had airship and all of them remembered what happened in FF X, they didn't want to risk that airship still have these missiles.

Here you have one of them in action... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jeLgpb2qvE&hd=1

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Raghar said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
And we proved that anyone saying "guys, x has a few merits and is worth a go" is really saying "guys, I think Japanese art and anime are far superior to Michaelangelo and that JRPGs
35mnrt0.jpg

2937cer.jpg

That are images from FF XII. I could find even images from Muramasa, but on average Japanese visual arts are above west companies. The problem that drags down majority of Japanese companies is a lack of in house research, console development problems, and too movie like stuff.
I think it's a very good starship design for a typical space game that shits on laws on physics anyway. They are very ornate and have fantastic looks and would probably look lovely when damaged with fires, explosions and dead people falling out. I think that the decks of these ships could be an excellent scenery for tastefully done rape.

As for similar stuff in western fantasy/sci-fi art...
john_blanche_battlefleet_gothic.jpg

BFG_-_Imperial_Vessels.JPG

battlefleet-gothic-03.jpg

spelljammer.jpg

Warbird.jpg

Armada.jpg

Nautiloid.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Archibald said:
Mrowak,
i`m sorry, you`re one of few cool posters in this thread, its just that this thread pisses me off and i`m masochist so i continue reading it.

If the supreme god of awesomeness acts in battle like total nitwit not taking advantage of his full power, or game elements available to player he should have access to himself, allowing for the players to steamroll him I consider this an exploit, a bug or a design flaw inherent in game.

Maybe i don`t understand your position but here it`s how i see it:

Atlus creates bosses and whole system in megami games on purpose like puzzles. Thats how they want their game to be played. They make certain bosses with certain weeknesses and spells so that you`d have to build a party capable of withstading his attacks and able to kill him.

Now, on the other hand we have exploits like pre-buffing. I doubt that every fight in game is balanced for "honest" and pre-buffing players. If ambush is strong enough to kill you with your buffs then they should have even easier time with you when you`re not buffed. No? Therefore i doubt that developers in such games think "But they might come with buffs!" when creating encounters and as a result pre-buffing is not intended.

For me this is the difference. SMT`s system requires thinking and time. Pre-buffing requires to load game before encounter and push few hotkeys. SMT`s system is intended, pre-buffing is not.

How can it be design flaw when whole design is based around it?

Good point. You actually forced me to revoke my statement

So Japanese games are based around so called puzzles. The puzzle is to find out about your enemy's weakness and then use it to your adventage. The wholes system of combat is build around this premise. You can approach each puzzle in two different fashions. 1)force: grindan, bash, hack, slash, burn. - This approach, though effective is rather boring (we are in agreement, I trust). 2) Careful investigation of enemy's weakness, often through trial and error - attack enemy, see that he uses fire spell and is not resistant to "sleep" spell - use such spell / item / character combination that might work. Naturally this was a very basic example - the more difficult enemy the more challenging argorithm there will be to figure out. Obviously like with most complex problems there may be more than one solution to it.

So far we can agree, can we not?

The thing is the point 2) is nothing new in western RPGs or simple tactical games (not to mention real strategic goodness out there). Only in BG2 you had many occassions to do something like that - wizards, dragons, beholders ect. could roast your ass in a second if you weren't prepared. You used trial and error, you saw your enemy's weak spot, having got ass handed to yourself you adjusted your gear, spells, party setup - now knowing that the fucker is going to use flame breath you had protective buffs on yourself (or, if system didn't allow prebuffing you cast them immediately on your heroes once the combat started), you countered his spells with your spells (that you baught/memorised for this battle), items with your items and so on. You were victorious.

Therefore although we can say that jRPGs stress this particular element we cannot say it is exclusive to them. I could argue here that in fact wRpgs did this aspect better but this would be pointless - the disparity in our knowledge about the subject is too large to be objective for both of us.

At this moment I would like to correct my oryginal statement. jRPGs are not full of mistakes by their developers that allow you to exploit them. Rather jRPGs are designed to be flawed - the errors are not really errors but deliberate design choices that are there for the sake of the gameplay, sacrificing the consistency of the setting in the process. If they weren't there you would be forced to pick the route 1) (which, to my surprize most popamole consoletards do!).

And here is why I consider western developers of yesteryears superior to their asian counterparts. In the face of the choice, they would go into great pains to secure the high quality of both. If the combat system was wrong - it denied reason, or arsed the believability of characters and enemies they would not bother implementing it unless they found a solution.

Note here: by making the setting explain what was transpiring in combat The dragon breath fire, flapped wings, cast spells, bit and hit you few his claws, but it didn't heal himself or raise motherfucking volcano under your feet because he was not a cleric or god of awesomeness. If he didn't have help from other figures it was explained as well - HE was the enemy of the whole populace and have antagonised everyone, or HE was too vain to recognize a threat in heroes (yes, often done lamely), or HE was deprived of his followers by you (be it as a result of subquest or linear story-progression).

And another amazing thing - the combat had to apply the same ruleset to everyone. Our dragon may have 500hp, damage resistance, immunity to fire - it is logical why. But he would use the same spells as your characters, apply the same feats, use the same items if possible. If he decided to join you party his awesome inborn facilities would not magically disappear or be diminished - if that could break the game it would not happen. And the settings rules once established would be applied to everything consistently. Even a god wouldn't magically breach your 100% immunity to death spells if the setting allowed you to have one.

Please compare this to a standard jap fare where you see stars falling during combat with no effect on the setting. Lords of hell behaving like total morons without a reason. Or the fact that if they decide to join you they suddenly become not as tough as they used to be to you.

Why a boss must act like a retard in order for him to be beatable? Why can't you simply insert a believeable explanation in game that he is limited to his current set of skills e.g. a powerful buddhist monk sealed some of his power - hence he cannot use healing spells - for that reason he will always keep a healer near him you must quickly dispose. Sounds more convincing than simply I won't because I won't?

Because not everything neads explanation. I can assume that evil black knight of genocide can`t learn healing spells because he is investing his time in black arts, therefore "light" spells aren`t aviable for him. And it works for me just fine.

You see, in my book everything needs explanation. No, not necessarily by saying in BIG BOLD words like to a retard why such and such is so and so. That would be setting breaking in itself.

But by application of the things I mentioned in the post few pages earlier (page 17): narrative causality, common sense and logic even the most extraordinary, alien settings (through confrontation of these with what you are presented with e.g. Silent Hill 2) become credible and almost impossible to undermine.

If these were applied to our black knight he would at no place come across as silly. There must be a good reason why he survived for so long. Perhaps he was too busy killing things to learn healing spells but he certainly could have picked up those awesome healing potions you keep using like an addict. Maybe he cooperate with equally shady shaman for some magic items and extra healing. Perhaps he gained support of a powerful mage that has crafted him that cool looking armour and a sword. Certainly, both would support him in fighting your group if not out of good will ;) than because your agenda constitute a major threat to their plans. And instead of 100000hp boss that keeps recycling his attacks as if hit by severe case of autism we have a formidable opponent.

This is what you get when narrative causality, common sense and logic are acommodated. However, when these are not accounted for the setting, the events, the characters suffer. Terribly. And from my experience this is the case with most (if not all) jap animu-based games which try to reach beyond "childish" level. With the design which is not pro-setting but counter-it they keep retconing themselves causing a lot of nonsense few mature people are able to beare. And non of them with their faces straight.

So although I can certainly recognize merits in what you're saying: that the combat-puzzles can be quite interesting and complex, I still think that with if the design western games was preserved and incorporated into weeaboo design philosophy (rather than the other way round) they could produce some truly extraordinary titles. Alas, this has not come to pass. Pity :(

In general 99% of your "arguments" work for wrpgs so thats why i asked why are you posting here. After all, this should be a "disccusion" about japanese games being shitty Y/N, not about decline/falws of gaming, yes?

I hope that with this reply I provided a satisfying answer to your question.

Also, :incline: of Archibald.

Archibald

Arcane

Yes.

Therefore although we can say that jRPGs stress this particular element we cannot say it is exclusive to them.

Well i believe that nothing really is excluisive. Western games have faggy art sometimes, east has "realistic grimdark" art sometimes and so on, so yeah, it`s all about stressing and doing it "well".

And here is why I consider western developers of yesteryears superior to their asian counterparts. In the face of the choice, they would go into great pains to secure the high quality of both. If the combat system was wrong - it denied reason, or arsed the believability of characters and enemies they would not bother implementing it unless they found a solution.

Could you give some examples where you believe combat was done very well in western games? More than 1-2, thank you.

Even a god wouldn't magically breach your 100% immunity to death spells if the setting allowed you to have one.

Have you played Heroes of might and magic 5? There are Black Dragons with full magic immunity and there are Warlock type hero with magic resistance penetration skill, with it leveled he can deal damage with his spells to Black Dragons. Do you think it breaks setting?

This is what you get when narrative causality, common sense and logic are acommodated. However, when these are not accounted for the setting, the events, the characters suffer. Terribly. And from my experience this is the case with most (if not all) jap animu-based games which try to reach beyond "childish" level. With the design which is not pro-setting but counter-it they keep retconing themselves causing a lot of nonsense few mature people are able to beare. And non of them with their faces straight.

Thats how their culture works, look at their animes, mangas and other shit. I think people can`t look with straight faces at them because they aren`t used to such style and thats it.
I have played many jrpgs when i was younger, now not much, but i don`t play much at all now. Anyway, i got used to them and they don`t look bad, well i still dislike some art styles but thats not the point. Point is that when i look at western rpgs i see same bullshit covered in realistic grimdark graphics.

You speak how certain things break setting in jrpgs but don`t such things as hoarding enough to gold to buy the whole world by killing rats and other random critters in forest break it as well? Carrying crapload of items in your backpack? Or you becoming some godlike type hero while 10 days ago you were just random villager? There are many more examples of wrpgs being stupid and "breaking setting" but i`m not really going to start listing everything here.

At the end i prefer jrpgs settings because they are crazy, anything can happen there and they don`t pretend that they`re uber realistic so it`s easier for me to forgive for their flaws. While wrpgs pretend that they are realistic and awesome yet have their own share of stupid elements that don`t make any sense and that i can`t forgive as easily.

I think i forgot something, maybe i`ll add it later if`ll remember.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Mrowak said:
Archibald said:
Mrowak,
i`m sorry, you`re one of few cool posters in this thread, its just that this thread pisses me off and i`m masochist so i continue reading it.

If the supreme god of awesomeness acts in battle like total nitwit not taking advantage of his full power, or game elements available to player he should have access to himself, allowing for the players to steamroll him I consider this an exploit, a bug or a design flaw inherent in game.

Maybe i don`t understand your position but here it`s how i see it:

Atlus creates bosses and whole system in megami games on purpose like puzzles. Thats how they want their game to be played. They make certain bosses with certain weeknesses and spells so that you`d have to build a party capable of withstading his attacks and able to kill him.

Now, on the other hand we have exploits like pre-buffing. I doubt that every fight in game is balanced for "honest" and pre-buffing players. If ambush is strong enough to kill you with your buffs then they should have even easier time with you when you`re not buffed. No? Therefore i doubt that developers in such games think "But they might come with buffs!" when creating encounters and as a result pre-buffing is not intended.

For me this is the difference. SMT`s system requires thinking and time. Pre-buffing requires to load game before encounter and push few hotkeys. SMT`s system is intended, pre-buffing is not.

How can it be design flaw when whole design is based around it?

Good point. You actually forced me to revoke my statement

So Japanese games are based around so called puzzles. The puzzle is to find out about your enemy's weakness and then use it to your adventage. The wholes system of combat is build around this premise. You can approach each puzzle in two different fashions. 1)force: grindan, bash, hack, slash, burn. - This approach, though effective is rather boring (we are in agreement, I trust). 2) Careful investigation of enemy's weakness, often through trial and error - attack enemy, see that he uses fire spell and is not resistant to "sleep" spell - use such spell / item / character combination that might work. Naturally this was a very basic example - the more difficult enemy the more challenging argorithm there will be to figure out. Obviously like with most complex problems there may be more than one solution to it.

The thing is the point 2) is nothing new in western RPGs or simple tactical games (not to mention real strategic goodness out there). Only in BG2 you had many occassions to do something like that - wizards, dragons, beholders ect. could roast your ass in a second if you weren't prepared. You used trial and error, you saw your enemy's weak spot, having got ass handed to yourself you adjusted your gear, spells, party setup - now knowing that the fucker is going to use flame breath you had protective buffs on yourself (or, if system didn't allow prebuffing you cast them immediately on your heroes once the combat started), you countered his spells with your spells (that you baught/memorised for this battle), items with your items and so on. You were victorious.

Therefore although we can say that jRPGs stress this particular element we cannot say it is exclusive to them. I could argue here that in fact wRpgs did this aspect better but this would be pointless - the disparity in our knowledge about the subject is too large to be objective for both of us.

At this moment I would like to correct my oryginal statement. jRPGs are not full of mistakes by their developers that allow you to exploit them. Rather jRPGs are designed to be flawed - the errors are not really errors but deliberate design choices that are there for the sake of the gameplay, sacrificing the consistency of the setting in the process. If they weren't there you would be forced to pick the route 1) (which, to my surprize most popamole consoletards do!).

Note here: by making the setting explain what was transpiring in combat The dragon breath fire, flapped wings, cast spells, bit and hit you few his claws, but it didn't heal himself or raise motherfucking volcano under your feet because he was not a cleric or god of awesomeness. If he didn't have help from other figures it was explained as well - HE was the enemy of the whole populace and have antagonised everyone, or HE was too vain to recognize a threat in heroes (yes, often done lamely), or HE was deprived of his followers by you (be it as a result of subquest or linear story-progression).

And another amazing thing - the combat had to apply the same ruleset to everyone. Our dragon may have 500hp, damage resistance, immunity to fire - it is logical why. But he would use the same spells as your characters, apply the same feats, use the same items if possible. If he decided to join you party his awesome inborn facilities would not magically disappear or be diminished - if that could break the game it would not happen. And the settings rules once established would be applied to everything consistently. Even a god wouldn't magically breach your 100% immunity to death spells if the setting allowed you to have one.

Please compare this to a standard jap fare where you see stars falling during combat with no effect on the setting. Lords of hell behaving like total morons without a reason. Or the fact that if they decide to join you they suddenly become not as tough as they used to be to you.

Why a boss must act like a retard in order for him to be beatable? Why can't you simply insert a believeable explanation in game that he is limited to his current set of skills e.g. a powerful buddhist monk sealed some of his power - hence he cannot use healing spells - for that reason he will always keep a healer near him you must quickly dispose. Sounds more convincing than simply I won't because I won't?

Because not everything neads explanation. I can assume that evil black knight of genocide can`t learn healing spells because he is investing his time in black arts, therefore "light" spells aren`t aviable for him. And it works for me just fine.

You see, in my book everything needs explanation. No, not necessarily by saying in BIG BOLD words like to a retard why such and such is so and so. That would be setting breaking in itself.

But by application of the things I mentioned in the post few pages earlier (page 17): narrative causality, common sense and logic even the most extraordinary, alien settings (through confrontation of these with what you are presented with e.g. Silent Hill 2) become credible and almost impossible to undermine.

If these were applied to our black knight he would at no place come across as silly. There must be a good reason why he survived for so long. Perhaps he was too busy killing things to learn healing spells but he certainly could have picked up those awesome healing potions you keep using like an addict. Maybe he cooperate with equally shady shaman for some magic items and extra healing. Perhaps he gained support of a powerful mage that has crafted him that cool looking armour and a sword. Certainly, both would support him in fighting your group if not out of good will ;) than because your agenda constitute a major threat to their plans. And instead of 100000hp boss that keeps recycling his attacks as if hit by severe case of autism we have a formidable opponent.

So although I can certainly recognize merits in what you're saying: that the combat-puzzles can be quite interesting and complex, I still think that with if the design western games was preserved and incorporated into weeaboo design philosophy (rather than the other way round) they could produce some truly extraordinary titles. Alas, this has not come to pass. Pity :(
Let's conveniently forget that JA2 is probably the only wRPG that has at least tries to be a bit realistic when it comes to combat and it still has weird shit like the army and mercenaries starting out with pistols as an intentionally implemented realism and logic flaw so that FPS weapon progressionists could have their fun.

Mrowak

Arcane
@Awor Szurkrarz
@ClockworkKnight

Wow you guys are so awesome. Like you didn't take one idea from my post, misunderstand it and came up with a stupid example.

Yes, Jagged Alliance 2 had this implemented for gameplay reasons. Name a game where you start with badass equipment. A good game, japanese or otherwise.

Also I don't remember your enemies, having access to advanced weaponry (you could have access to as well, if not now than later on) and not using it against you. I don't remember any imbecility in terms of setting later on that was not intentionally corny and was not supposed to be received as such.

My argument here is not that western developers implemented realism always. But they strived to do so, compared to jap ones who did not. At all. So the settings suffered, the worlds did not make sense. As a result there is ALWAYS so type of inherent silliness that undermines the game-world which prevents them from ever reaching above "cheesy" or "chilidish" levels. And when incorporated on western soil we end up with "Oblibion", "Dragun Age" and "Failout 3" where it's not realistic but it's ok coz it's "immershun" working (a denial of common sense here).

Your point? Because apart from typical codexian bullcrap "let's show dis dude how stopid he is by taking only one element from one game and misapplying it" I cannot find any trace of logical argument. Anywhere.

Tell the truth. You're fucking trolling me, right?

@Archibald

I honestly don't have time to reply to your post now. Till the evening then.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Mrowak said:
@Awor Szurkrarz
@ClockworkKnight

Wow you guys are so awesome. Like you didn't take one idea from my post, misunderstand it and came up with a stupid example.

Yes, Jagged Alliance 2 had this implemented for gameplay reasons. Name a game where you start with badass equipment. A good game, japanese or otherwise.
Any decent wargame or simulation? Also, it's not about "badass equipment" vs "poor equipment". It's starting with pistols instead of starting with basic assault rifle and then progressing to better, more advanced weapons, which is completely retarded.
It's like playing a fantasy cRPG and being able to choose only daggers and darts in the beginning.

Archibald

Arcane
Name a game where you start with badass equipment. A good game, japanese or otherwise.

Castlevania- Symphony of the Night. Thou you loose it very fast.
Breath of Fire 4, you play two characters, one is ordinary jrpg hero, another is big bad evil who goes straight thru everything that world can throw at him. Ordinary hero as well can transform into dragon which in essence is "i win" button, only strongest enemies can put a fight against his dragon form.
I`m not sure, i believe it was Breath of Fire 5 where you can transform into dragon from very start but if you overuse that ability then dragon takes over or you die or some shit. Anyway, you get "strongest weapon" from very beggining.
Fire Emblem- Every Fire Emblem game gives you one "advanced" unit at the start who is overpowered/very strong till mid-late game. Also IIRC main hero often gets some good and rare weapon as his first weapon but as everything in that game it will break from constant use.
Don`t remember the name but one Niponichi game gives main hero ability to "borrow" power from "last boss". IIRC you die/get overtaken if you use it too much but when you use it you become a killing machine.
Same for Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of Plume allows you to sacrifice your own units to Hel, as a result you get teh POWER for that battle but loose that ally for good, and there is limited number of allies.
Xenosaga- IIRC Kos-Mos is killing machine but she is fighting like at 10% of her power as not to kill everything(including allies) around her.

There are more examples of this, point is that japanese games tend to give you "ultimate power" from very beggining or at least give you a sample of that(for example mentioned Castlevania, you start a game by fighting and killing last boss of the game with teh uber skillz and equipment) and then come up with some reasonable explanation why you can`t just blast everything away with that overpoweerd stuff.

Heck, i remember what a big deal it was when we found out that you`d start one FF game with an airship and airships there are definetely mid-end game stuff.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Practically any D&D RPG allows you to buy swords, spears, long bows, etc. in the beginning.
X-Com allows starting with rifles, autocannons, etc.
The same for Laser Squad.
Close Combat often allows to start with rifles, tanks, cannons.
Operation Flashpoint starts with assault rifles.
etc. etc. etc.

Mrowak

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Mrowak said:
@Awor Szurkrarz
@ClockworkKnight

Any decent wargame or simulation? Also, it's not about "badass equipment" vs "poor equipment". It's starting with pistols instead of starting with basic assault rifle and then progressing to better, more advanced weapons, which is completely retarded.
It's like playing a fantasy cRPG and being able to choose only daggers and darts in the beginning.

Way to miss the point bro :thumbsup:

Here, I will make it simpler to you. In BOLD:

My argument here is not that western developers implemented realism always. But they strived to do so, compared to jap ones who did not. At all. So the settings suffered, the worlds did not make sense. As a result there is ALWAYS so type of inherent silliness that undermines the game-world which prevents them from ever reaching above "cheesy" or "chilidish" levels. And when incorporated on western soil we end up with "Oblibion", "Dragun Age" and "Failout 3" where it's not realistic but it's ok coz it's "immershun" working (a denial of common sense here).

I'd like to remind you here that I'm not against jap games on the whole but animu style implemented wrongly with things that destroy the assumed game-worlds altogether. Look at FF7-14 + Devil May Cry etc. Now look at Dragon Age 2. See similar design philosophy - common retarded patterns? See juvenile art-style, character behaviour? Do you see retarded combat? Can you see inconsistencies, idiocies, moron decisions that you will just know the sheeple will swallow because they swallowed them without question with jap games and called them "immersive, deep, mature"? All because of "it's shit but as long we will go all visceral it will work" attitude. Let me remind you...

vis·cer·al
   /ˈvɪsərəl/ Show Spelled[vis-er-uhl] Show IPA
–adjective
of or pertaining to the viscera (the organs in the cavities of the body, esp. those in the abdominal cavity. ).
affecting the viscera.
of the nature of or resembling viscera.
characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect: a visceral reaction.
characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude: a visceral literary style.

Where the hell is quality in this, I don't even...

Now think about your Jagged Alliance 2. Do you think such game can happen now?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sorry, but to me as a wargamer and military history fan, a bunch of mercs going to combat against an army with pistols and enemy army with soldiers in red/green/black t-shits is as idiotic as the animu bullshit. Especially as the intro actually shows a sensible-looking Deidrannas army - which uses Vietnam-era US equipment.
Where did that army go?
Also, Drassen counterattack - it is disabled in the basic version of the game, but shows what kind of force the enemy can throw at the player in the very beginning. The very fact that it's disabled without any explanation shows that developers tend to not use the full force of the enemy against players, because tiny parties of adventurers would get crushed. Where's your God now?

Mrowak said:
I'd like to remind you here that I'm not against jap games on the whole but animu style implemented wrongly with things that destroy the assumed game-worlds altogether. Look at FF7-14 + Devil May Cry etc. Now look at Dragon Age 2. See similar design philosophy - common retarded patterns? See juvenile art-style, character behaviour? Do you see retarded combat? Can you see inconsistencies, idiocies, moron decisions that you will just know the sheeple will swallow because they swallowed them without question with jap games and called them "immersive, deep, mature"? All because of "it's shit but as long we will go all visceral it will work" attitude. Let me remind you...

If we keep using these vague descriptions, we'll go back to trolls trolling trolls.

"X is retarded, period", "No, Y is", "Wow, you're a fucking retard", "No u".

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mrowak said:

Good job pinning the decline of Western gaming on the Japs. I knew those sneaky slanty-eyes were up to no good.

:thumbsup:

edit: I don't get it though, anime, or more particularly the cute anime shit that everyone totally hates, is anything but visceral.

Mrowak

Arcane
Archibald said:
Wasn`t aware that Devil May Cry franchise is retarded :(

The franchise so far proved good and interesting and extremely corny. In other words it's good for what it is... Which, according to Codex's :monocle: standards is not good enough.

I have no problem with games being cheesy provided that so called "fans" do not come to me and say: "dude, Dante's so awesome. He is so motherfucking badass. And the writing, the setting, the atmosphere... so cool". Nigga please.

In no way here do I defeat my own argument that jap games employing animu style are either corny or childish. I too can enjoy them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom