Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shovelware Alert: Realms of Arkania HD Remake released in unplayable state

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Crafty Studios; Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (Remake)

Earlier this week, a recently joined user by the name of Bobbles informed us that Crafty Studios' Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD Remake had received some kind of early release in Germany. Here's what the game's German players found out:

Problems with the gold version according to various German forums:

- no intro
- no battle sounds
- all weapon models looks like crossbows
- most NPCs look like skeletons
- trying to cast a spell gives the message "spell not implemented"
- snow textures are broken
- walking sounds are placeholders/unbearable to listen to

The release day patch was pushed out early on Saturday at 10 p.m. local time (at least they're dedicated!), but it doesn't fix most of these issues - only weapon models and walking sounds have been completely fixed. The game is still unplayable and crashes frequently with messages like this:​
Code:
Failed executing javascript(Syntax Error: Mismatched closing token in expression):
function hasresponse(which){return(which==1)||getQuestState("schick_call')==2;);) of Magistrat Thorwal[2]
Further current issues:

- button hotspots aren't centered on the actual buttons
- map turns black indoors, stays black when going outdoors (workaround available)
- Many NPCs have holes in their heads
- only one save game slot with fixed name
- save game (singular) randomly deletes itself
- heroes in-game don't look like they do in the editor
- you start with infinite money, which randomly resets to normal during gameplay
- random events and random battle on the overland map don't seem to work
- hard crash trying to enter Daspota

The lead dev has announced a "new" release day patch for Tuesday, though it will obviously only represent a few days' work of bugfixing by a small studio... probably not a good 0-day purchase.​

Despite these problems, the game was officially released on Steam today. Here's what players on Steam found out:

Holy crap. :lol: Have I mentioned that as of this writing, the game doesn't support English unless you manually rename folders?

Stay far away from this one, folks. Although you might want to keep following our thread about it, because it's sure to be hilarious.

Mortmal

Arcane
I had no interest at all into this, now i do ! One hilarious trainwreck to enjoy.

Jesse_Dylan

Novice
I'm so depressed. Came here on a whim while I wait for the game to install (bought it before it came out). Why was I so stupid to purchase this? I was happily enjoying Shadowrun Returns and thought, "yay, another tactical, turn-based RPG, and heck, I never did play the originals when they first came out! I'll have some faith and support this kind of game with a pre-purchase!"

Might as well cancel the install.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm so depressed. Came here on a whim while I wait for the game to install (bought it before it came out). Why was I so stupid to purchase this? I was happily enjoying Shadowrun Returns and thought, "yay, another tactical, turn-based RPG, and heck, I never did play the originals when they first came out! I'll have some faith and support this kind of game with a pre-purchase!"

Contact Valve and ask for a refund. The game is in a bad enough state that there's a good chance they'll grant it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Fixed. :rpgcodex:

BTW check out this guy on the GOG forums: http://af.gog.com/forum/general/rea...estiny_hd_out_this_month/page13?as=1649904300

Actually, the hardcore fans (who are somewhat the target audience of the game) are for the most part happy with their purchase. Me including. Biggest ire are some of the streamlining issues (the devs removed spells that had no effect and combined some skills). I guess people are no longer used to shoddy releases. Having played just about any 90s RPG, I find the issues manageable. Arcanum was worse on release. Fallout 2 equally bad. Not to mention all those forgotten pieces like Birthright and whatnot.

The game should have stayed away from Steam for now, however. There are still a lot of technical issue that the average gamer rightfully can take issues with. And this isn't a 2013 game. This is a late 90s game. But that is good enough for the fans.

The fans have a positive outlook on things, as do I.

And the game has sold (surprisingly) well. So that means enough money for the devs to keep working. Especially as this shows the demand is there (which is quite surprising for most).

Team Gizka says hi.

Last edited:

Jesse_Dylan

Novice

Contact Valve and ask for a refund. The game is in a bad enough state that there's a good chance they'll grant it.

I will do that. I think even if the bugs were fixed and the game were in English, it would still be an absolute shambling monstrosity. I guess it will be a fun trainwreck for people to review, though. (You know, those reviews that become must-reads just because the game is so horrendously, hilariously poorly put together.)

I fumbled through the title screens, managed to figure out which icon to click to leave the temple of the undecipherable name, saw a woman with no neck talking to a man who looked worse than a giant-sized, same-poly character from the first 3D Populous (PSOne-era), heard my walking steps echo loudly on the grass, watched the trees wiggle wildly as the frame-rate shuddered, and managed to quickly find the exit icon and uninstall.

It would have been so nice to play an actual, decent remake. I wouldn't care if the character graphics were bad if the rest worked... :/

Off to e-mail Valve.

Bruticis

Oh, you mean another game the kodex called the incline of the industry is shit? NO WAI!!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hard to expect much from a remake, especially when there is nothing wrong with the original. They are nothing but soulless cash-grabs by default, kinda like Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

ColCol

Arcane
What a clusterfuck. This is the worst thing to ever happen in German history.

Wasteland 2
And the game has sold (surprisingly) well. So that means enough money for the devs to keep working. Especially as this shows the demand is there (which is quite surprising for most).
That only means the devs can stop giving a fuck.

It doesn't have to be the case, if "sold (surprisingly) well" mean well enough to make a remake for part 2 and 3 attractive.

All of those pics were taken in "Fantastic!" quality. It goes from "Tolerable" to "Fantastic", if you're wondering.

B0KwrwHh.jpg

mdSmVgv.jpg

aFxMVC1h.jpg

k5LT12Hh.jpg

dsLxa2Uh.jpg

AjXhgeOh.jpg

SKdFKFmh.jpg

The piggy on the other hand, is beautifully anmiated. It's potato game, alright.

1Ec92gAh.jpg

tumblr_m8r7fv0IAu1r5v4lko1_500.png

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
That only means the devs can stop giving a fuck.

It doesn't have to be the case, if "sold (surprisingly) well" mean well enough to make a remake for part 2 and 3 attractive.

The lead dev has been dropping hints about offering more classes from the PnP rule set in the future. My guess is that they're going to offer new content as paid DLC; the devs make 99% of their money through browser game cash shops already.

They also promise daily patches for the next month, which makes no sense for a cash grab in the traditional sense of the word.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Is this that german game that got a bunch of german press sometime last year? Or was that something new in the Dark eye uni?

There are currently four German DSA games in development: Blackguards, Memoria, Realms of Arkania 1, and Demonicon. All are slated for a 2013 release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom