Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Realms of Arkania: Shovelware Edition

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well the massive chalice had nothing physical, which is why I didn't even think of pledging, and from all the people who keep demanding less physical items I'm not feeling good towards the future. I only donate if I can a physical copy. I'm not giving them money so I can sign my rights over and not even own a copy of the game I helped fund.

How is a box relevant to ownership concerns? It's still a license no matter how the content is delivered. DRM free is the only thing that matters, and GOG is one of numerous examples of DRM free digital purchasing.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well the massive chalice had nothing physical, which is why I didn't even think of pledging, and from all the people who keep demanding less physical items I'm not feeling good towards the future. I only donate if I can a physical copy. I'm not giving them money so I can sign my rights over and not even own a copy of the game I helped fund.

How is a box relevant to ownership concerns? It's still a license no matter how the content is delivered. DRM free is the only thing that matters, and GOG is one of numerous examples of DRM free digital purchasing.
Because they can call it a license to the end of time if it makes them feel better. If I own a physical copy there's nothing they can do about it. GOG is the only place I buy digital from anymore because Steam has screwed me over too many times for me to buy anything else from them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because they can call it a license to the end of time if it makes them feel better. If I own a physical copy there's nothing they can do about it. GOG is the only place I buy digital from anymore because Steam has screwed me over too many times for me to buy anything else from them.

Right. The "I own it nothing they can do about it" thing applies to GOG as well. So I still don't understand how a boxed copy is relevant there.

But... okay!

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Right. The "I own it nothing they can do about it" thing applies to GOG as well. So I still don't understand how a boxed copy is relevant there.

But... okay!
Simply put GOG doesn't need a client. So whatever I buy there I can install whenever I want (provided I download it beforehand). As for Steam if their servers or client screw up I can't do anything. I haven't been able to play games for months because Steam's client issues and I've had so many problems with customer support I've sworn not to buy anything else from them. The only reason I haven't deleted my account is there's some games I own there that are only on Steam. Which I can't play now because Steam won't stop screwing up on me. At least with GOG if the game's installed then the only reason it won't work is because of me. I may not own anything on GOG more than Steam but at least with GOG I can keep whatever I've downloaded for however long I want.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Simply put GOG doesn't need a client. So whatever I buy there I can install whenever I want (provided I download it beforehand). As for Steam if their servers or client screw up I can't do anything. I haven't been able to play games for months because Steam's client issues and I've had so many problems with customer support I've sworn not to buy anything else from them. The only reason I haven't deleted my account is there's some games I own there that are only on Steam. Which I can't play now because Steam won't stop screwing up on me. At least with GOG if the game's installed then the only reason it won't work is because of me. I may not own anything on GOG more than Steam but at least with GOG I can keep whatever I've downloaded for however long I want.

I don't think you understood me. I don't need an info pamphlet about DRM free versus Steam, I know all about that.

I am saying a box doesn't matter in this.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

I don't think you understood me. I don't need an info pamphlet about DRM free versus Steam, I know all about that.

I am saying a box doesn't matter in this.
Sorry for that then. Well then I'll just end it with I want a box. I don't need a giant box filled with trinkets I just want something physical to own. I hope you don't mind if we just end it on that I'd rather not fill a page or two with this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for that then. Well then I'll just end it with I want a box. I don't need a giant box filled with trinkets I just want something physical to own. I hope you don't mind if we just end it on that I'd rather not fill a page or two with this.

No, it's all good. Wanting a box is understandable. I was just confused because it seemed like you linked DRM free and boxes.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

No, it's all good. Wanting a box is understandable. I was just confused because it seemed like you linked DRM free and boxes.
Yeah I'm not good when it comes to arguing or getting my point across.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
mindx2

I'd like to do it sooner than later. But yeah it could be part of the Desktop launch. I really just need to spend some time sourcing and pricing the items and then I can decide if its makes sense economically to do a limited run.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Thank god they replaced the overland map!

Cxsn02D.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/DSANordlandtrilogie

Old one:

600x338.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now just replace the character models.
And their animations and animation blending.

Gord

Arcane
Depended a bit on how you played it.
Playing it quickly and largely ignoring exploration you could probably do it in ~20 hours?
If you explored a bit and took your time maybe 30-40 hours?

If you didn't manage to (by pure luck or thorough exploration) find that silly plot-critical document hidden in the orc cave that isn't mentioned anywhere, 80 hours?

Gord

Arcane
They changed the game in a way that increases convenience?
They lied about being oldschool! Bring out the pitchforks!

:mob:

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The first part has now been "inofficially released" in Germany. By my estimates it has roughly as many bugs as the 1.0 version of New Vegas. Looks pretty though.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The first part has now been "inofficially released" in Germany. By my estimates it has roughly as many bugs as the 1.0 version of New Vegas. Looks pretty though.

I'm reminded of the Titan Quest anti-piracy measures.

What can you tell us about it? What should we expect - is there additional content? How is the combat? Do you, or whoever you're getting this from, enjoy it?

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Many of the pre-orders were already delivered on Friday (with Tuesday being the officially German release date), so there's plenty of info on the game out already. Personally, I can't even get it to start.

Problems with the gold version according to various German forums:

- no intro
- no battle sounds
- all weapon models looks like crossbows
- most NPCs look like skeletons
- trying to cast a spell gives the message "spell not implemented"
- snow textures are broken
- walking sounds are placeholders/unbearable to listen to

The release day patch was pushed out early on Saturday at 10 p.m. local time (at least they're dedicated!), but it doesn't fix most of these issues - only weapon models and walking sounds have been completely fixed. The game is still unplayable and crashes frequently with messages like this:

Failed executing javascript(Syntax Error: Mismatched closing token in expression):
function hasresponse(which){return(which==1)||getQuestState("schick_call')==2;) of Magistrat Thorwal[2]

Further current issues:

--button hotspots aren't centered on the actual buttons
- map turns black indoors, stays black when going outdoors (workaround available)
- Many NPCs have holes in their heads
- only one save game slot with fixed name
- save game (singular) randomly deletes itself
- heroes in-game don't look like they do in the editor
- you start with infinite money, which randomly resets to normal during gameplay
- random events and random battle on the overland map don't seem to work
- hard crash trying to enter Daspota

The lead dev has announced a "new" release day patch for Tuesday, though it will obviously only represent a few days' work of bugfixing by a small studio... probably not a good 0-day purchase.

On actual feature changes:

- haggling and vehicle skills have been removed
- about 10% of the spells have been removed
- more spells have been set to druid and witch exclusive
- getting enough xp to level no longer auto-triggers the level up screen; it's solved like in the Baldur's Gate games now

Gameplay footage is here.

Ramireza

Savant
Brrrrr... looks terrible. Why they did not use nice painted 2D Screens for the Inn´s and Merchants?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Sounds like it's got some real problems, hopefully the devs will get on them quickly. Also, is the music in the video really the music in the game? Those songs were made 20 years ago for the CD version soundtrack. They're also playing the songs at the wrong times - the travel theme is now a town theme, the tavern theme is a shop theme. It's not really a huge deal. The game looks good, I definitely want to play it but I'll wait until these problems get ironed out.

Also, comments like yours confound me, Excidium. It's definitely cheap, the originals were too, but a cash grab? From who? The dozens of people who played the originals who still care?

mondblut

Arcane
As long as they keep beating it into shape past the "release" and eventually do, it's all right. Day 1 purchasers are not the learning animals (which is fortunate, since our ecosystem does depend upon their uninformed and uncontrolled impulses).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom