Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starting Ultima Series

SwordCoast

Novice
I want to start Ultima series. Which game do you suggest to start first? GOG has Ultima games 1 to 7 now. Should i start with first game? Or is it too primitive to play?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I - III are all fun if you're in the mood for a silly dungeon crawling adventure, but they're very primitive. I say try those first to at least get a feeling for where the series began, but quit if you get frustrated and just move to IV, which is where the series really hit its stride.

Also, be prepared to take notes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're repelled by old graphics, swap U4 with one of the NWN remakes (there were actually two), U5 with U5:Lazarus, and U6 with the U6 Project.

But be prepared to face the wrath of the Kodex if you choose this dark path.

Bruticis

If you're going to play the underworlds (and you should), I'd go 4-6, UW1, U7 + FoV, UW2, U7 SI + SS, and finally U8. That's a lot of gaming and if even if you only manage to make it through 4-6, you'll be a better bro afterwards.

kmonster

Augur
Make a honest blind LP of Ultima IV and tell us how you're doing.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm making an attempt at U4 right now. I don't really like it, but I want to play U5 and 7 badly and can't stand not playing the earlier games first.

Word of advice: get a pen and notebook.

Silellak

Cipher
Jaesun said:
Play the originals THEN play Lazarus.
This. And don't fucking play Ultima 4 in the NWN engine. Why would you even consider doing that? No no no no no. You may as well just skip to 5 if you're going to pull that shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Agreed BRO. That NWN Ultima 4 mod was..... interesting. But In my opinion, was no where near the impact of the original.

There is a far better engine to do an Ultima IV remake in........

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Man up and play them all. The only truly primitive one (provided you play the 1986 remake of U1, which if you're getting the GOG version you will) is U2, but both U2 and U3 have unofficial patches that improve the graphics, tweak the programming to make the games much more playable (and in the case of U2 fixes a stupid bug in all the non-original-floppies DOS versions, though I don't know what GOG have done about this one) and even provides music for U3. And speaking of music, you should get the music patches for U3, U4 and U5.

I'll second mentions of the Worlds of Ultima and Ultima Underworld games. Especially Martian Dreams and the UW's.

Infinitron said:
If you're repelled by old graphics, swap U4 with one of the NWN remakes
NO. Don't do that. Both remake are terrible, even if one was slightly less so. And while Lazarus is fantastic it's not a real substitute for 5, and you really should play both.

Stabwound

Arcane
I've played U4 for a few hours now and I have to say the combat is banalshitboring and happens every 2 minutes outside of towns. Seriously, it's god awful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Worlds of Ultima games are also worth a try.

Martian Dreams has 19th century celebrities travel to Mars by being shot by a large cannon. That's basically a "must try".

SwordCoast

Novice
Thanks for answers gentleman. I am not the type whose effected by graphics so much. Because of that, i will try to start with the first game if it works on my computer without a problem. You mentioned about some unofficial patches.Can you direct me to those unofficial patches and tell me which ones are good to install?

jancobblepot

Educated
Stabwound said:
I've played U4 for a few hours now and I have to say the combat is banalshitboring and happens every 2 minutes outside of towns. Seriously, it's god awful.

Get a horse and you will never fight again outside dungeons.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SwordCoast said:
Thanks for answers gentleman. I am not the type whose effected by graphics so much. Because of that, i will try to start with the first game if it works on my computer without a problem. You mentioned about some unofficial patches.Can you direct me to those unofficial patches and tell me which ones are good to install?

http://www.ultimaaiera.com/ultima1/pixs-ultima-patcher/

That pretty much covers them all (if you are playing GOG versions of Ultima).

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If you had to express the genius of Lord British in one sentence, what would that sentence be?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Stabwound said:
I've played U4 for a few hours now and I have to say the combat is banalshitboring and happens every 2 minutes outside of towns.
Combat isn't that exciting (and not as good as U5's) but it's too quick to be banalshitboring, and you know, 2 minutes is a pretty long time. It takes me less than that to go from one destination to another usually, so one combat per trip isn't so bad.

SwordCoast said:
Thanks for answers gentleman. I am not the type whose effected by graphics so much. Because of that, i will try to start with the first game if it works on my computer without a problem.
:salute: If you have trouble installing patches or need any other kind of help with the early games I'll be glad to help a daring soul.

You mentioned about some unofficial patches.Can you direct me to those unofficial patches and tell me which ones are good to install?
U1 works fine under DOSBox as is. The link Jaesun provided seems to apply fixes to all games, though I'm not sure you should use it for all of them (you may want to consider Exult, but you'll worry about it when you get there).

Jaesun said:
http://www.ultimaaiera.com/ultima1/pixs-ultima-patcher/
A few clicks from there took me to this page, which has a whole bunch of PDF's of old Origin strategy guides.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
You're a BRO Jaesun. :bro:

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, but combat doesn't ruin the game but it's pretty terrible.

The game is more fun than I thought, though. I was mostly just slogging through it so I could play Ultima 5-7 but 4 is pretty good for what it is when you get into it. Especially considering it was released in 1985 - mindblowing. I played Ultima 3 and 4 on the NES as a kid, but they're pretty different than the computer versions, and the virtue system went way above my head at the time.

Playing blind and have 1/8 shrines so far: Justice, which is probably the easiest one. I don't exactly understand how to raise some of the virtues, and I have a feeling I'm fucking myself on some of them, but oh well.

Feels good to play some of the games I probably should have played a long time ago. :smug:

jancobblepot

Educated
Sceptic said:
Stabwound said:
I've played U4 for a few hours now and I have to say the combat is banalshitboring and happens every 2 minutes outside of towns.
Combat isn't that exciting (and not as good as U5's) but it's too quick to be banalshitboring, and you know, 2 minutes is a pretty long time.

Thanks god there are no reapers in the wilderness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssuyUrgumF8

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stabwound said:
... and the virtue system went way above my head at the time.

Playing blind and have 1/8 shrines so far: Justice, which is probably the easiest one. I don't exactly understand how to raise some of the virtues, and I have a feeling I'm fucking myself on some of them, but oh well.

Ha! I remember the exact same thing when I tried it for Sega Master System when I was a kid. It took me forever to figure out how to get honor, or was that justice?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
asper said:
If you had to express the genius of Lord British in one sentence, what would that sentence be?
Greater than MCA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom