Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starting Ultima Series

MMXI

Arcane
Wolfus said:
OK, one more time:
There is only one ladder going up. Second "ladder up" is one-way only (you can use it to descend from level 6, but not back (don't ask me why).
What should I do in lvl. 8? I need to get out.
Cast an exit spell. Or go through the altar room on level 8 to another dungeon and exit that one instead.

Wolfus

Arcane
MMXI said:
Or go through the altar room on level 8 to another dungeon and exit that one instead.

:facepalm: I didn't know it's possible, thank you :)
I am trying to avoid X-it or UP/DOWN spells, but it seems I am too lame to win without them.

Stabwound

Arcane
Question about U5: is it quite as bad as U4 in where you can miss a certain dialogue response from any particular NPC and not be able to proceed? I'm talking about how in U4, for example, it's very possible to completely miss the dialogue keyword that gets you started on finding out the "word of entry" for the codex chamber, making it impossible to complete the game without going around to every NPC in the entire game again.

U5 has way more complex dialogue options, keywords, more characters etc so I'm wondering if it's such a pain in the ass that you can miss some arbitrary dialogue keyword somewhere and get stuck forever wondering how to advance in the game.

MMXI

Arcane
Stabwound said:
Question about U5: is it quite as bad as U4 in where you can miss a certain dialogue response from any particular NPC and not be able to proceed? I'm talking about how in U4, for example, it's very possible to completely miss the dialogue keyword that gets you started on finding out the "word of entry" for the codex chamber, making it impossible to complete the game without going around to every NPC in the entire game again.

U5 has way more complex dialogue options, keywords, more characters etc so I'm wondering if it's such a pain in the ass that you can miss some arbitrary dialogue keyword somewhere and get stuck forever wondering how to advance in the game.
Ultima V tends to have more clues per goal than Ultima IV. In other words, it's much harder to mess up by missing someone out entirely. It's still possible though. You just need to be thorough and explore all the towns methodically.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Something similar can happen in Serpent Isle.

Fucking spinebreaker mountains

Tigranes

Arcane
I played Ultima VII a year or two ago, and really enjoyed it. The combat was of course more broken than possibly any other RPG I'd played (the original Press A for Awesome), but it looked great, played well on Exult, had a giant interesting world and some fun writing. I sort of random out of steam with Serpent Isle, though, because of the combat for one, and because I think I was born just a bit late to miss out on all the games where you have puzzles without handholding. (I started RPGs with BG.) I remember spending like 4 hours in the very first murder mystery in U7.

From all the LPs I've seen though, the earlier Ultimas seem to still have terrible combat, and even more puzzles with all these possibilities of screwing you over, and a lot of back and forth talking keywords with people, so I've never worked up the enthusiasm to try. Hrm...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I know, it's mostly out of curiosity. You know, I never played the Ultima serie and decided to rectify that, and I thought I might as well see where it all started. I'm conscious it has little value today, apart from a curiosity, but at the same time I have fun going so far back in time. Gives another perspective.

At its core it has some rather good (and basic) ideas for a dungeon crawler: get a quest to kill a monster, go in the dungeon and accomplish it, return to Lord British and he'll increase your stats. Rinse and repeat. When bored of the same maps, you can type another number and get a different set. It's very barebones, but it's a fun idea for a game.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well, that wasn't too bad:

akalabeth_victory.png

MMXI

Arcane
I know, it's mostly out of curiosity. You know, I never played the Ultima serie and decided to rectify that, and I thought I might as well see where it all started. I'm conscious it has little value today, apart from a curiosity, but at the same time I have fun going so far back in time. Gives another perspective.

At its core it has some rather good (and basic) ideas for a dungeon crawler: get a quest to kill a monster, go in the dungeon and accomplish it, return to Lord British and he'll increase your stats. Rinse and repeat. When bored of the same maps, you can type another number and get a different set. It's very barebones, but it's a fun idea for a game.
I agree. It must have been one of the first cRPGs to have an over world too. This was hugely expanded on in Ultima of course.

Well, that wasn't too bad:

akalabeth_victory.png
:bravo:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom