Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Next CRPG on my play list is Wasteland.
I never played it before, due to me thinking it was a Bard's Tale clone set in a post-apocalyptic setting at a time when I was not very interested in that kind of stuff, and I was rather tired of BT after the gargantuan mapping and grinding fest that was BT 2.

Anyway, anything I should know before playing Wasteland? Any bugs or design flaws that may bite me in the ass if I choose wrong class or skills?
Is mapping needed or is there an automap?
I assume it is true turn based, and not like BT 1 an BT 2 where checks for random encounters are done in real time?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What would one need to play Wasteland on a Windows 7 computer? I'm assuming DOS console of some sort. Does anyone have a link to some of the things one would need?

Yup, I was listening Fallout OST when I played Wasteland and I recomend you to do the same (Fallout soundtrack is free)

And no, it's not like bard's tale, it's astronomically better. It's so good that I finished it 3 times in a row. Combat is like in BT but there is no grinding and no need to map shit yourself since it's in top down view.

Wasteland is great and I would even say it's better than Ultima V (released in same year).

Protip: ALWAYS have a rope with you, really, once I had to restart from scratch because I didn't bring rope with me in endgame.

Bugs? in one place there's scripted ambush with robots. After you beat the shit out of them one vital item should load, there's small chance that it won't, but it's pretty rare I think.

sirfink

Scholar
So much better than Bard's Tale. Doesn't have endless, meaningless dungeons that troll you to death. Lots of towns and villages to visit, people to talk to. Has that same mix of post apoc dread and dark humor as Fallout.

I'm trying to remember how useful skills are. Maybe look at a walkthrough for party building advice. Some skills are pretty useless while others are perfectly useful with only 1 or 2 ranks.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
sirfink said:
I'm trying to remember how useful skills are. Maybe look at a walkthrough for party building advice.

Are you trying to ruin his fun?

MisterStone

Arcane
One serious problem Wasteland has is that a lot of skills are useless- in particular combat skills. IIRC there are skills such as knife throwing, pugilism, etc. that are almost useless. I think the only melee skill anyone needs in that game is brawling, which lets you use all manner of objects (except knives I believe) as weapons, including some high tech melee weapons.

You should probably check out one of the old strategy manuals on this game; it's not really a matter of mix-max bullshit as much as it is about avoiding useless character builds that can incapacitate a party early on.

JaySn

Educated
DosBox: http://www.dosbox.com/
Game files and manual: http://www.abandonia.com/games/436/Wasteland

You'll likely have to load the Wasteland folder (once unzipped) as a virtual drive, as the game likes to alter the files within regularly . . . There's no real save function, if I recall: As you progress, your progress is written, and that is all.

As far as a walk-through is concerned, four or five characters later, you'll have good enough an idea of what skills matter . . . because you'll have had the option to actually use them. And since you're wondering about with a party rather than a single character, the effect of wrong choices can be minimized.

Though, if that's not your thing, walk-through to win.

(It is fully turn based.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
JaySn said:
DosBox: http://www.dosbox.com/
Game files and manual: http://www.abandonia.com/games/436/Wasteland

You'll likely have to load the Wasteland folder (once unzipped) as a virtual drive, as the game likes to alter the files within regularly . . . There's no real save function, if I recall: As you progress, your progress is written, and that is all.

As far as a walk-through is concerned, four or five characters later, you'll have good enough an idea of what skills matter . . . because you'll have had the option to actually use them. And since you're wondering about with a party rather than a single character, the effect of wrong choices can be minimized.

Though, if that's not your thing, walk-through to win.

(It is fully turn based.)

Thanks for info. :salute:
Now I know the real reason I never played this game: it was never released for the Amiga?!? :decline:

Don't worry about the skills: Just seed any you wish to use by putting a point in. Usage will raise them, and you will get more points to spend, especially with a higher IQ, should you pick a lot of rubbish. You have to really be trying on purpose to stuff up a character in Wasteland.

Yes it is turnbased.

No mapping needed, unless you need to take note of any particular building. I never needed to write maps anyway.

I have only played the C64 version, so ask the Admiral, and others here that have played the PC version.

Arikel

Novice
The manual is necessary, it's one of the older games that has you read paragraphs as they couldn't fit text in the game or were using it as copy protection.

The maps are useful but not absolutely necessary, as are the char creation guides.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just a tip to help a wonderful game:
1. Know that XPS are not shared, they are given to whover gets the kill.
2. Make sure everyone had 1 point in brawling, it will help if you run out of ammo and have to use your weapon for hand to hand, and a big tip would be:
You get 2x experience for melee kills

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Saxon1974 said:
Just my opinion I think the C64 version is far better than the PC version. It has a darker more atmospheric feel.

Since I had a ZX Spectrum as a kid it is against my religious beliefs to use a C64 or a C64 emulator...
A great shame Wasteland was not released for the Amiga, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just explored the first town - Highpool. The game so far is like a cross between Ultima and Bard's Tale with active use of attributes and skills to make it more complex.
Having to use attributes and skills actively gives the game a bit of an Adventure game feel, as you sometimes have to guess what attribute, skill or encounter option to use. For example when finding Jackie in the cave I tried using Rope, Charisma and Confidence first, but in the end the correct solution was to Hire her.

I bought a Book and a Map from the shop but there seems to be no way of reading them?

BTW, funny that the note in shop says "fix water purifier". :D

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How do you gain skills excactly? I've gained one level and spent it on IQ for all my guys. Do I need to go back to Ranger HQ or do I need to find a library?

And what is the best way to heal? Going all the way back (I'm currently in Quartz) to see the doctor there or find a safe place (if such exists) and hit ESC untill the party recovers enough hit points?
Seems I'm constantly running around with 0-5 HP...

circ

Arcane
There's a town up north, Vegas?, where you can blow your xp or cash I forget which to improve skills.

I just walked around in unirradiated places to regen.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Weapons balance seems to be out of whack.
My guys can rarely hit anything 30 feet away. How can a ranger with rifle skill repeatedly miss a guy 10 measly meters away?!? And fighting with knives and crowbars do more damage than a rifle, and if they have brawling skill they get twice as many attacks.

What's with the dead body in the courthouse?

And why do the Head Crusher tell me to take a seat and then I can't interact with him?

"Use" The visa card on the seat. If you have it that is....

So...(U)se, (--->) (if standing to the left of the seat) and it should pop up.

If you need to use something on the space you are on, press Use, then spacebar.

All this is in the manual.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I've read the manual - twice, but I ain't got no VISA card...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom